Briefly: new Apple ads; iPods at NS; Norway; more...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple looks ripe to expand its "Get a Mac" campaign. National Semiconductor gives each of its employees a free iPod. And Norway sets a deadline for Apple to make changes.

Apple to expand "Get a Mac" campaign

Apple appears set to add at least three new television commercials to its national "Get a Mac" campaign.

The guys over at MacRumors point to YouTube mirrors of the three new ads not yet available on Apple's Web site: "Touche," "Work vs Home" and "Out of the Box."

One ad advocates Boot Camp, another promotes the availability of media rich digital lifestyle solutions for Macs, and a third emphasizes the Mac as an elegant out-of-the-box solution.

Update: Apple has updated it's Get a Mac site with the new ads.

iPod for all at National Semiconductor

National Semiconductor capped off its most successful fiscal year in history on Monday by giving each of its 8,500 employees with a 30-gigabyte video iPod.

The company plans to use the iPods as part of a new training and communications tool at National, providing a convenient real-time method for employees to download National podcasts and other employee communications.

Norway iTunes Update

The governing bodies in Norway have given Apple until June 21st (that's next week) to changes the terms of its iTunes Music Store license in the country or else.

If Apple fails to make its songs playable on other devices before that date, the company may face fines that would be compounded by court actions.

The Consumer Council of Norway, which filed the original complaint against Apple on Jan. 25 2006 and on June 6, issued a statement on the ruling in which it said: "The digital rights of consumers have been dictated by the industry for a long time. This decision marks the start of a struggle to recover them."

33 million Macs over next five years?

In the next five years (through 2010), cumulative PC sales will total about 1.3 billion units, according to a new report by Computer Industry Almanac. The market research firm notes this figure is nearly equivalent to the 1.4 billion units shipped during the first 30-years of the personal computer revolution (1975 - 2004).

According to the firm's estimate, Apple will sell 33 million computers over the next five years. Unfortunately, their estimates call for Dell, HP and Lenovo to combine for over 550 million during the same time period.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    zwebenzweben Posts: 75member
    As of this post, the 3 mentioned ads are up on the Apple site, accessible right from the ads page with the rest of them.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Just click the (->) button to scroll through the movies.

I think the ads are getting better as they go. These seem to give less of a sense of being stuck up than the previous ones.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Those ads are on the Apple website...

You have to scroll right or left to the additional ads.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I'm gobsmacked that "make amazing stuff" was allowed to see the light of day. This is serious reality-distortion, even for Apple. It makes me cringe. Yuk.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zweben

As of this post, the 3 mentioned ads are up on the Apple site, accessible right from the ads page with the rest of them.

Just click the (->) button to scroll through the movies.

I think the ads are getting better as they go. These seem to give less of a sense of being stuck up than the previous ones.

I thought they sounded more stuck up.

Some things I noticed:
    • Conjunction Dysfunction - The Mac said "You can run OS X or Windows", I would think 'and would imply both, but not necessarily at the same the same time (which we know is possile with Parallels), but perhaps the legal department didn't stupid getting a chunk of Apple's profits.

• Trial software -The PC says it has to erase the trial software. Macs have a good deal of full featured included software, but it's not with trial versions. Notably, Office 2004 for Mac.

• Manuals -The PC says it has a bunch of manuals to read. iLife'06 will extremely confusing for switchers. I'm reminded of a recent discussion about mounted volumes on Macs too.

• Fun stuff - The PC lists it's fun stuff as Spreadsheets, etc. We all know Windows is still superior for gaming, mainly because of the apps available. I guess you could argue they they mean "out of the box" software.

• Reply 5 of 20
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    If those numbers are cumulative, how come Apple's total number of units sold goes down from 17.6 to 17.2?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Re Norway:

Apple's terms relate to the recording industry, and probably to untold different agreements about protecting THEIR rights. They, after all, hold the rights to the music that are in question.

So Apple probably can't change the terms in a week. I expect them to pull out of Norway--but then return later with some new compromise worked out by the many parties.

Re Mac sales:

Why are they so sure that Dells, HPs, and IBMs will fail or become obsolete in such large numbers?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by McHuman

If those numbers are cumulative, how come Apple's total number of units sold goes down from 17.6 to 17.2?

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, is it?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    I thought that these ads were hilarious. I watched them several times before I got tired. I enjoyed the first 6, but these 3 are definitely funnier. None of the points they make are innaccurate, since any viewer can see that they are just using hyperbole to get their point accross. For example, it's not that there isn't ANY trial software on a Mac, it just means that there is a whole suite of really great software built in. A lot of PC's will come with 30 day trials of similar products or versions with most of the features disabled. Apple really is offering a better product in that aspect, and it's great that the commercials point that out, even if they do exagerate things for comedy's sake.

I'd say these 3 do a lot better job at showing why a Mac is a great buy than the last 6.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdj21ya

None of the points they make are innaccurate

You and I clearly live on different planets
  • Reply 10 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

You and I clearly live on different planets

I agree with bdj12ya, There is a major difference between inaccurate and slanted. What part(s) do you think were inaccurate?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by solipsism

I agree with bdj12ya, There is a major difference between inaccurate and slanted. What part(s) do you think were inaccurate?

I was talking specifically about the "Work Vs. Home" ad. "Touche" is O.K., and "Out of the Box" is definitely the best of all the "Get a Mac" ads.

Yeah, I thought "Work Vs. Home" was funny, but it is going way, way beyond bending the truth.

How many PC users are going to see that and think: "Damn! Yeah! That's right! All I do is make pie charts and other boring crap on my PC. PCs are useless, you can only do boring things with them. I need to get me one of them Macs!", and how many of them are just going to think Apple are arrogant arseholes for making the suggestion?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

I was talking specifically about the "Work Vs. Home" ad. "Touche" is O.K., and "Out of the Box" is definitely the best of all the "Get a Mac" ads.

Yeah, I thought "Work Vs. Home" was funny, but it is going way, way beyond bending the truth.

How many PC users are going to see that and think: "Damn! Yeah! That's right! All I do is make pie charts and other boring crap on my PC. PCs are useless, you can only do boring things with them. I need to get me one of them Macs!", and how many of them are just going to think Apple are arrogant arseholes for making the suggestion?

exactly - the truth is many PC users see only what you can not do on a Mac. both fun and serious things that aint supported (OK now with Bootycamp)

there again - these new ones did make me LOL! it's the same as before it appeals to the Mac faithful.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solipsism

I thought they sounded more stuck up.

Some things I noticed:Conjunction Dysfunction - The Mac said "You can run OS X or Windows", I would think 'and would imply both, but not necessarily at the same the same time (which we know is possile with Parallels), but perhaps the legal department didn't stupid getting a chunk of Apple's profits.
    Trial software -The PC says it has to erase the trial software. Macs have a good deal of full featured included software, but it's not with trial versions. Notably, Office 2004 for Mac.
    Manuals -The PC says it has a bunch of manuals to read. iLife'06 will extremely confusing for switchers. I'm reminded of a recent discussion about mounted volumes on Macs too.
    Fun stuff - The PC lists it's fun stuff as Spreadsheets, etc. We all know Windows is still superior for gaming, mainly because of the apps available. I guess you could argue they they mean "out of the box" software.

I sincerely hope you are from a non-english speaking country because it is really impossible to understand most of your post as a result of your dismal grammar and diction. If you are from an english-speaking country, for god's sake, Go READ a BOOK NOW! Take an english course, something...</rant>
  • Reply 14 of 20
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    *deleted
  • Reply 15 of 20
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OfficerDigby

there again - these new ones did make me LOL! it's the same as before it appeals to the Mac faithful. [/B]

except they aren't trying to appeal to the people who already own Macs.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Again, I don't think most people will think "hey wait, I can do fun things like movies on my PC--this commercial LIES!" Rather, they will see that Apple is just using hyperbole to suggest that Macs are better for home users.

I definitely agree though, that the "Touche" and "Out of the Box" ads are funnier. I think "Touche" is my favorite.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Eh, I use both at home and iLife has rendered the Pinnacle DV card and software I purchased for the PC an expensive dust magnet. The difference in ease of use IMHO is substantial to the point I'd rather make pie charts rather than home movies on the PC if a Mac is available.

I also don't think consumers are so dumb that they can't recognize hyperbole.

Vinea
  • Reply 18 of 20
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I saw "out of the box" last night and was impressed that it aired in 1080i/DD5.1
  • Reply 19 of 20
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Geez Guys, lighten up. It's only adverteasing. None of our wives/girlfriends gonna look like Christy Brinkley if we go buy them a Total Gym either!!!

Buz
  • Reply 20 of 20
    vocarovocaro Posts: 25member
    Apple has updated it's Get a Mac site --> Apple has updated its Get a Mac site