Wireless iPod video conferencing patent surfaces

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A relatively new patent filing has surfaced in the United States portraying an "iPod-type" device with real time wireless video-conferencing capabilities.

The filing, which bears a striking resemblance to iPod patent filings previously submitted by Apple Computer, is registered to Kendyl Roman of mediaFrame, Inc., a company that specializes in intellectual property litigation support.

Still, it's unclear if the filing belongs to Apple, as it references several other brand names in addition to the iPod maker's, including Orange Micro and Connectix.

In the filing, made Oct. 27, 2005 and published on June 1st, the inventors describe a wireless handheld device which can "compress, enhance, encode, transmit, decompress and display digital video images in real time."

Real time data transmission is said to be achieved by high levels of effective compression by sub-sampling each frame of a video signal, filtering the pixel values, and then encoding the media.

In one example, the inventors describe an "iPod-type device" with a color display, wireless network support and a decompressor for decompressing live video. Another describes a similar device that also includes a video camera "having the capability to capture full-motion videp" and a microphone.

The patent filing also makes reference to an optional wireless module as well as an "A/V module" comprised of a right integrated speaker, an integrated microphone, a left integrated speaker and a integrated camera with lens.

"The A/V module could be manufactured and marketed separately as an add-on module for standard iPods, or could be incorporated into the iPod packaging as an enhanced iPod-type device," it states. "The wireless module also could be manufactured and marketed separately as an add-on module for standard iPods, or could be incorporated into the iPod packaging as an enhanced iPod-type device."

Other points of the invention include a video zoom function and the ability of any wireless iPod-type device to act as a video server that can transmit pre-recorded video to one or more other iPod-type devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This story smells funny...
  • Reply 2 of 28
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

This story smells funny...

Sounds to me like someone's trying to patent an idea that they think Apple might pursue. Sort of like those domain-name squatters...
  • Reply 3 of 28
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    The ultimate presentation tool:

1. Make presentation on Mac or PC using Keynote or PowerPoint.

2. Transfer it to a wireless iPod.

3. Boot Mac OS X from the wireless iPod and use it as a remote control for the presentation via a wireless videoprojector on the ceiling.

No cables or computer involved in the presentation.

The halo effect will be tremendous on corporate, educational and domestic markets.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    anyone else notice the original iPod scroll wheel? how old is this patent app?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

Sounds to me like someone's trying to patent an idea that they think Apple might pursue. Sort of like those domain-name squatters...

Perhaps. But if it is their patent, one that they have come up with, and it is unique in some way, and valid, that would be fine. That's what is supposed to happen.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "any wireless iPod-type device to act as a video server that can transmit pre-recorded video to one or more other iPod-type devices."

In the real world with friends this would be so cool!
  • Reply 7 of 28
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    And this should work with iChat AV, since Apple's pushing that so much. This would be AWESOME! So, you think we'll see it in August in the new 6th gen iPod?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    sirromsirrom Posts: 32member
    Well, perhaps there is a reason that Apple is putting iSight's in all the new laptops and rumored to be in all the new displays coming later this year as well. I see Apple offering VoIP services and increased PDA-type functions to create a "new" phone market rather than playing catch-up with the big boys like Moto and Nokia. Even if this is just a way to protect themselves with patents, it sounds like the kind of convergence device Apple could do well and I have been looking forward to for some time. Here's to hoping it's true and soon!
  • Reply 9 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SirROM

Well, perhaps there is a reason that Apple is putting iSight's in all the new laptops and rumored to be in all the new displays coming later this year as well. I see Apple offering VoIP services and increased PDA-type functions to create a "new" phone market rather than playing catch-up with the big boys like Moto and Nokia. Even if this is just a way to protect themselves with patents, it sounds like the kind of convergence device Apple could do well and I have been looking forward to for some time. Here's to hoping it's true and soon!

Well said!
  • Reply 10 of 28
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Funny title.

I say look again.

This is the iPhone. And now that Apple has gotten the iSights to be thin enough for a laptop display, they can go in phones.

Yes, the iPhone will look and feel like an iPod.

I can't wait. Particularly since every cell phone on the market sucks right now.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Well said!

Yes, it is, but it doesn't help the mobile user. I can't imaging using a laptop as a portable phonee, even with Bluetooth headsets.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    But can you imagine using an iPod?

That's what the patent covers. Ya gotta have *vision*, man!
  • Reply 13 of 28
    These patent filings always make me excited.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    it's great.

• Reply 15 of 28
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Perhaps. But if it is their patent, one that they have come up with, and it is unique in some way, and valid, that would be fine. That's what is supposed to happen.

Eh...I would perfer that they had to build a prototype. Gee...an iPod that does video collaboration...how "novel". And submitted by an IP litigation firm no less.

Vinea
  • Reply 16 of 28
    festefeste Posts: 17member
    Hmmm...Here's a question: Especially given the 2008-2009 introduction date for the iPhone predicted in one of today's other articles, has anyone considered the possibility that the iPhone won't work on a standard cell phone network at all, but will instead be entirely VOIP and WORK ON WIMAX AND OTHER BROADBAND WIRELESS NETWORKS?
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Oops!
  • Reply 18 of 28
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Great, someone patenting something I've already got. It's called a mobile phone.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    iPod with iSight and iChat. Clever. Very cool.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally posted by area51boy2000

anyone else notice the original iPod scroll wheel? how old is this patent app?

Yes, I saw the old wheel - that was sorta weird for a 2005 patent filing. It does sound like a great idea, though. Wireless connectivity would definitely be the next logical step for the iPod line. I wonder if Apple would include a feature where you can directly download songs from iTunes to your iPod?