Your MacBook Condition: Red, Yellow or OK?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Actually one vote out of that 19% is me saying that the problem with my MacBook is that I don't have one. Hopefully my joke vote was not statistically significant
  • Reply 42 of 61
    ha, they need to start putting warnings on the laptop boxes:

"only use on lap if wearing jeans, not shorts."

seems ridiculous. the reason people like laptops is because you can take them with you and use them on any surface, including your LAP.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    photoeditorphotoeditor Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Actually one vote out of that 19% is me saying that the problem with my MacBook is that I don't have one. Hopefully my joke vote was not statistically significant

Bumps to 84.4 percent good/15.6 bad or so without your joke vote. Still within the margin of error as we like to say in survey research.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    mr. k.mr. k. Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Originally posted by builttospill

other than overheating, has anyone had other issues, like error messages, freezing, stuff like that?

I had one issue where I shut down the MacBook and thought it was off, and put it in a sleeve case. It was actually still on in the case. When I took it out was very hot and I had to do a force quit (hold power button down). Kind of scary.

I think if you do a shut down, make sure it's really shut down before closing the lid. I haven't had this problem occur since then. Maybe I shut the lid too soon.

And yes, this machine does run kind of hot, but I find the fans kick in etc. very rarely. I'm mostly using this machine for web surfing, email, and web design.
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. K.

I had one issue where I shut down the MacBook and thought it was off, and put it in a sleeve case. It was actually still on in the case. When I took it out was very hot and I had to do a force quit (hold power button down). Kind of scary.

I think if you do a shut down, make sure it's really shut down before closing the lid. I haven't had this problem occur since then. Maybe I shut the lid too soon.

And yes, this machine does run kind of hot, but I find the fans kick in etc. very rarely. I'm mostly using this machine for web surfing, email, and web design.

Haven't heard about that one.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Quote:

I think this is a good tip for any laptop Mac or PC, I've seen it happen a few times.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I just called apple and they're sending a box tomorrow....

My white 2.0 is randomly freezing... and today at work it froze, I turned it off and it wouldn't come back. THe white light stays on solid when I press the power button.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    tommyrtommyr Posts: 9member
    Sorry to hear about your problems, Apple will make it better for you. You'll see.

Here's to a quick turn a round time for you!

Tom
  • Reply 49 of 61
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    I was the 1 guy in the voting with the black case with the bumps, got a replacement, I know your not gonna believe me, but I found a bump or 2 and a small indent all in the same area as the first computer, much MUCH better in comparison to the problem I had before, but I dunno how no one else is seeing these, it cant be just the two machines I got,

plus the track pad seems to have a different texture than it did on the first computer, I remember the first one being smooth, weird stuff man, the machine is still my favorite laptop ever though,
  • Reply 50 of 61
    well even with the those imperfections if it's still your favorite laptop ever the hardware/software must be pretty incredible.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    Or maybe as they say, you always remember your first time...
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tommyr

Sorry to hear about your problems, Apple will make it better for you. You'll see.

Here's to a quick turn a round time for you!

Tom

Apple has my macbook currently on hold waiting for a part (I don't know what they're waiting for). I'm guessing it's going to be a week or so before I get it back.

• Reply 53 of 61
    natecnatec Posts: 19member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Unfotunately, when I put it in my bag and there's pressure on the screen area, the bump in front of the space bar DOES leave a line on the screen, just like the old TiBook. My TiBook got PERMANENTLY damaged by this, so I really need to use a screen protector of some sort. Unfortunately, a full-size screen protector costs about $35 bucks.

I bought this screen protector from otherworld computing for $15:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ing/LSPTIG412/

It says it's for the iBook g4 12", but it covers the keyboard and trackpad fine on my MacBook.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Apple has my macbook currently on hold waiting for a part (I don't know what they're waiting for). I'm guessing it's going to be a week or so before I get it back.

They were waiting for a new logic board and now it's pending shipping- I'm sure it'll ship tomorrow morning and get here on Saturday.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

So what? You hit "shutdown" and closed the lid before it was really shut down? I've had that happen on my PowerBook G4 667MHz before. Though it didn't lock up, it just woke from sleep and finished the shutdown process... I think that I might've had the same thing happen with the startup process too. It's something that's been with Macs a while. I don't think it's really an 'issue' as much as a design choice by Apple that when you close the lid, the thing immediately goes to sleep.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    Originally posted by pyr3

So what? You hit "shutdown" and closed the lid before it was really shut down? I've had that happen on my PowerBook G4 667MHz before. Though it didn't lock up, it just woke from sleep and finished the shutdown process... I think that I might've had the same thing happen with the startup process too. It's something that's been with Macs a while. I don't think it's really an 'issue' as much as a design choice by Apple that when you close the lid, the thing immediately goes to sleep.

Out where I am where its 90degF/30degC everyday, it's not a good idea for any laptop to be in Sleep mode when it's put in a case.

Yeah so it's important to make sure the shut down is complete before closing the lid.

Best is to activate the "undocumented feature" of the hibernate, so that whenever you close the laptop screen, it pretty much turns off, regardless of the state it's in (even if it is in the middle of shutting down, AFAIK*). Then the next time you open up, press the power key, and badabing! you're back in action after a few seconds. No need ever to shut down. Hibernate is where it's at, yo.

*I might test this later today.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    Yes, confirmed. Hibernate or Safe Sleep works even if you are in the middle of shutting down. So if you start shut down, then quickly close the screen, it goes into Safe Sleep. Then when you open up the screen, press the power button, it restores to the point exactly where it was shutting down then fully shuts down.

I have been using Hibernate/ Safe Sleep on my iBook g4 933mhz, and it has been very useful. Firstly I know there is insignificant power drain when the iBook is closed, and then, whenever it is closed and put in a case, there is no risk of heat buildup. I know in normal Sleep mode there is very low energy/heat but put it in a tight case and on a hot day or in the car, you're asking for trouble.

Hibernate/ Safe Sleep instructions all here.

http://www.andrewescobar.com/archive...eep-your-mac/.

http://www.digg.com/apple/How_To:_Sa...nate)_Your_Mac

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...8161&lsrc=osxh

http://perso.orange.fr/mbeaumel/deepsleep/