Motorola RAZR with iTunes coming to US

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Motorola this month will introduce a third member of its iTunes mobile phone family in the US, this time built around the company's popular RAZR handset design.

According to a report on MacNN, Motorola this month began distributing marketing materials that advertise the iTunes-compatible RAZR phone, coining it "The RAZR that Rocks."

The quad-band RAZR V3i was originally revealed back in November of 2005. It was slated to make its US debut shortly thereafter but was delayed for unspecified reasons.

Motorola has already teamed with Apple on the RAZR V3i in other countries such as Canada and the UK, where promotions have been running for months. The handset allows users to store up to 100 tunes. It also features a 1.23 megapixel digital camera and a micro-SD flash slot.

The RAZR V3i is the third music phone product of Motorola's iTunes partnership with Apple. The first was the iTunes ROKR E1, which made its debut last fall and was quickly met with criticism for its clunky user interface and limited song capacity.

Motorola followed the launch of the ROKR E1 in early 2006 with the launch of its SLVR L7 handset, which also crippled capacity to 100 songs.

Similar to these earlier iTunes phones, the RAZR V3i will initially be available exclusively through Cingular's mobile carrier network.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    If they do this, they had damn well better put out a firmware update for us current Razr owners...
  • Reply 2 of 18
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If they do this, they had damn well better put out a firmware update for us current Razr owners...

I'm sure the peeps over at howardforums.com will have one if Moto doesn't produce one.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Don't hold your breath. Although the phones look similar, there are cosmetic and internal changes.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Bodes well for the RAZRs imminent replacement

• Reply 5 of 18
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Didn't this come out like half a year ago? - Oh wait I live in Canada.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Didn't this come out like half a year ago? - Oh wait I live in Canada.

Yup. I've got one in my pocket right now.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Strawberry

Bodes well for the RAZRs imminent replacement

If the slimmer longer job there is the replacement they can keep it. One of the reasons I like the RAZR is they made it smaller without making it slimmer. The slim phone fit strangely in my hands, and I'm no big fan of them.

But then, with a 100 song limit, who cares. 1.2MP camera? Not that much better than the camera already there, and really I've used it maybe once, to test that yes it does in fact take pictures. They can keep it. The development money would have been better spent on an UI that doesn't suck.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    Even if they were to release a firmware upgrade for current users, the current RAZR V3c model has something like 8MB of user accessible memory and no card slot. So even if you could run iTunes, you could hold maybe 5 songs.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

But then, with a 100 song limit, who cares. 1.2MP camera? Not that much better than the camera already there, and really I've used it maybe once, to test that yes it does in fact take pictures. They can keep it. The development money would have been better spent on an UI that doesn't suck.

The thing is, I don't expect any camera integrated into a phone to not suck. The sole advantage to having them there is convenience, I'm not convinced that increasing megapixels on such a tiny element adds any real detail.

I played with a RAZR and I didn't have a problem with the UI.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I own one; it's not horrible as cell phones go, but it's not good by any stretch of the imagination either. Just so many stupid little things that could be done so much better. As far as the optical element goes, I'd be surprised if the optic wasn't quite a bit better than the imager. These super tiny CCDs aren't all that well adapted to actually gathering light like a camera.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    for anyone concerned with the 100 song limit, there's a hack somewhere out there on the web that lets you have 1000 songs.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I played with a RAZR and I didn't have a problem with the UI.

The UI is tolerable, but still weak. My biggest gripe is, when in your address book, you can only use 1 letter to search by. So, if you get in the M's, for example, and you have a lot of names starting with M, you need to scroll through them individually. That one always bothers me, along with some other issues that usually relate to the Address Book.

Other than some UI dislikes, the RAZR is a great phone. When this one's done for, i'll probably replace it with the most similar thing on the market.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sprockets

The UI is tolerable, but still weak. My biggest gripe is, when in your address book, you can only use 1 letter to search by. So, if you get in the M's, for example, and you have a lot of names starting with M, you need to scroll through them individually. That one always bothers me, along with some other issues that usually relate to the Address Book.

That's not true. The v3 has a firmware update which adds multi-letter search and the v3i comes stock with the same capability.

I have other issues with the address book (such as the inability to sync street adresses).
  • Reply 14 of 18
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    For as much as that RAZR costs, you'd think it would have a light for the camera. Even my cheap LG phone has a camera light.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Moto is goddamn horrible crap. I decided to stick with my 4 year old Samsung rather than get a Moto phone with a bunch of clutter and "features" I would NEVER use. \
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Moto is goddamn horrible crap. I decided to stick with my 4 year old Samsung rather than get a Moto phone with a bunch of clutter and "features" I would NEVER use. \

I've never thought that something being useful would automatically relegate it to being horrible crap.

You have interesting logic.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

That's not true. The v3 has a firmware update which adds multi-letter search and the v3i comes stock with the same capability.

I have other issues with the address book (such as the inability to sync street adresses).

Interesting! I've never heard of that!

How do you go about updating the firmware? Through the Motorola site? Too bad Motorola or Cingular (my carrier) didn't 'notify' me of this!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    martin cmartin c Posts: 32member
    I have this phone. I got it unlocked off of Wireless Imports a few weeks ago. I just have to get a memory card and I can fill up my iTunes.