Wireless iPod video conferencing patent surfaces

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jamezog

Wireless connectivity would definitely be the next logical step for the iPod line. I wonder if Apple would include a feature where you can directly download songs from iTunes to your iPod?

You mean like the MusicGremlin player?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/13/m...1000-wifi-dap/
  • Reply 22 of 28
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

You mean like the MusicGremlin player?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/13/m...1000-wifi-dap/

Yeah, something like that. The only downside that I can see of it would be the loss of the halo effect - you wouldn't need a Mac / PC to run your iPod.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Feste

Hmmm...Here's a question: Especially given the 2008-2009 introduction date for the iPhone predicted in one of today's other articles, has anyone considered the possibility that the iPhone won't work on a standard cell phone network at all, but will instead be entirely VOIP and WORK ON WIMAX AND OTHER BROADBAND WIRELESS NETWORKS?

The problem with mobile phones is that there are many different comm's standards around the world. Any iPhone would need to be multi-standard for it work around the world and have mass market appeal. I'm not sure Apple could take the risk of relying solely on VOIP or WIMAX.

I don't think that analyst guy has a clue what Apple are planning with the iPhone.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaun, UK

The problem with mobile phones is that there are many different comm's standards around the world. Any iPhone would need to be multi-standard for it work around the world and have mass market appeal. I'm not sure Apple could take the risk of relying solely on VOIP or WIMAX.

I don't think that analyst guy has a clue what Apple are planning with the iPhone.

Well duh?
  • Reply 25 of 28
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaun, UK

It'd be somewhat premature to spec WIMAX but Apple could use UMA and make the issue go away to some extent. Quad-band and WiFi (802.11g) is a fine start before the standards are sorted. UMA for seamlessly negotiating between home/office/hotspot and mobile.

This is in use already...

http://press.nokia.com/PR/200511/1019072_5.html

British Telecom already do Voip/landline/mobile handsets. I'm sure there are others, especially in Finland/Sweden.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    I'm just waiting for the day when Apple releases some pocket-sized thing that can link wirelessly with my Powerbook and allow me to add appointments to iCal, contacts to the Address book, etc. I don't need a totally full-functioning PDA, but something that lets me keep my iCal in my pocket would be so helpful.

If it also lets me do all of these other things, so be it.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CoolHandPete

I'm just waiting for the day when Apple releases some pocket-sized thing that can link wirelessly with my Powerbook and allow me to add appointments to iCal, contacts to the Address book, etc. I don't need a totally full-functioning PDA, but something that lets me keep my iCal in my pocket would be so helpful.

If it also lets me do all of these other things, so be it.

I would be right behind you in the queue if Apple ever released it.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    If I reply to your reply, but this time in blue, do you think Apple market researchers who may be lurking here might think I'm yet another loyal user who wants an Apple pocket-Mac?

I always hold out hope that my shameless plugs are doing some good up in those board rooms on the Infinite Loop...