iPod Linux

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am wondering about iPod linux. I am thinking about installing it, but have the following questions:

1) When I install it, will I lose anything?

2) Does it replace the default OS?

3) Can I uninstall it? How?

4) I now see that the way to get to it is by hitting the left arrow while rebooting. Does Menu + Center key and rebooting hurt the iPod after doing it many times?

5) Is it worth it?

6) Anything else I should know about what I am getting myself into?

Thanks.

PS: I already viewed the iPodLinux website. It's too techy for me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chocolatedude

I am wondering about iPod linux. I am thinking about installing it, but have the following questions:

1) When I install it, will I lose anything?

2) Does it replace the default OS?

3) Can I uninstall it? How?

4) I now see that the way to get to it is by hitting the left arrow while rebooting. Does Menu + Center key and rebooting hurt the iPod after doing it many times?

5) Is it worth it?

6) Anything else I should know about what I am getting myself into?

Thanks.

PS: I already viewed the iPodLinux website. It's too techy for me.

1. No

2. No

3. I ended up just reseting my iPod's software.

4. Mine didn't file a formal complaint though I did use some battery doing it.

5. Not really, though playing doom was kind of entertaining.

6. If you have a 4g or earlier use a GUI installer. Also playback on the version of podlinux i tried wasn't terrific, there were lots of high pitched squeaking noises, hopefully they have improved that. Don't expect linux to replace the normal OS.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lupa

1. No

2. No

3. I ended up just reseting my iPod's software.

4. Mine didn't file a formal complaint though I did use some battery doing it.

5. Not really, though playing doom was kind of entertaining.

6. If you have a 4g or earlier use a GUI installer. Also playback on the version of podlinux i tried wasn't terrific, there were lots of high pitched squeaking noises, hopefully they have improved that. Don't expect linux to replace the normal OS.

Thanks for your help. Can you tell me, however, more specifically how you uninstalled it? I want to be able to undo it.

I'm thinking of putting on Wikipodia of I install iPodLinux, and using the regular UI for the music player.

It's good to know that restarting it does not damage it.