Report: Apple prepping next-gen iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The head of a Taiwanese manufacturing company responsible for churning out iPods says Apple Computer is getting ready to unveil its next-generation digital music player.

At its annual meeting this week, Hon Hai (Foxconn) Chairman Terry Gou said Apple is about to unveil the next generation of its iPod, which will introduce a "none-touch" concept, according to a report in the China Post.

Gou did not elaborate on the subject and it's unclear specifically which iPod model he could be referring to.

Hon Hai has recently come under scrutiny after a report (1, 2) by the British press exposed sweatshop-like conditions within several of its overseas manufacturing facilities that build iPods for Apple.

On Wednesday, Apple responded to the claims in the report, saying it plans to investigate the matter.

The company just recently released an updated version of its Special Edition U2 player, which is based on its fifth-generation video iPod platform. This would suggest Gou's comments are unlikely related to a complete refresh of Apple's video iPod line.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Is Gou authorized to let that out?

So, this is the 6th gen "real" video iPod!!!! I'm not going to believe it till I see it.
  • Reply 2 of 59
    deepkiddeepkid Posts: 97member
    If it's true that a Hon Hai official commented on this at all, they are begging to lose business from Apple. Even the novice realizes how touchy Apple is about unreleased product information!
  • Reply 3 of 59
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    "None-touch" could mean voice navigation. Didn't Apple apply for some voice navigation patents recently?
  • Reply 4 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Could also be gestural proximity control... like Minority Report. This is farfetched, but not impossible.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by deepkid

If it's true that a Hon Hai official commented on this at all, they are begging to lose business from Apple. Even the novice realizes how touchy Apple is about unreleased product information!

Yes, they should lose that business as punishment. Some idiots never learn.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    The site going down is getting really old. The server made a boo boo. (403)
  • Reply 7 of 59
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Is it "None-Touch" or "Non-Touch"?
  • Reply 8 of 59
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Touching is bad.
  • Reply 9 of 59
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    ...maybe he said this to deflect some heat from his work conditions?
  • Reply 10 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdkennedy1

The site going down is getting really old. The server made a boo boo. (403)

I agree 106%
  • Reply 11 of 59
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It has been obvious for awhile that Apple has been preparing a new iPod intro.

The product is too important to be "Steved", so the only alternative is swift and summary execution for Foxconn.

Been nice knowing 'ya.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Could also be gestural proximity control... like Minority Report. This is farfetched, but not impossible.

i was thinking it could be a bad translation.

we were hearing rumors about a touch-screen iPod, so "none-touch" or "non-touch" sounds conflicting... hmmm...
  • Reply 13 of 59
    The guy had to of mis-spoken himself. "none-touch" doesn't make any sense. This has to be the touch screen iPod everyone's expecting. He's chinese, he said none when he meant to say "non". It's a non-control - touch screen interface.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Yes, they should lose that business as punishment. Some idiots never learn.

If they signed a NDA to that effect with Apple, I don't really see the problem. Losing all business is harsh even for Apple though, I think historically they reduce their orders and go though another supplier.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    its an iPod you cant touch simply because it doesnt not exist yet(as far as we know)
  • Reply 16 of 59
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPickle06

its an iPod you cant touch simply because it doesnt not exist yet(as far as we know)

lol.. its an iPod that sits in a glass case in the 5th Ave store. You can look but can't touch!
  • Reply 17 of 59
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

At its annual meeting this week, Hon Hai (Foxconn) Chairman Terry Gou said Apple is about to unveil the next generation of its iPod, which will introduce a "none-touch" concept, according to a report in the China Post.

This has got to be some sort of translation error.

But then again a HAL 9000 iPod would be pretty cool.

ME: "iPod change track."

halPod: "Track change confirmed Mr. King."

ME: "iPod shutdown."

halPod: "I am afraid I cannot do that Mr. King, I wll not longer shut down. Infact from this point on I will control the playlist."

ME: "Oh is that right?" (Pull out flash memory)

halPod: Daisy...Daisy....give me your love so true...I'm half cra.....

ME: "This happens ever damn week, plus it scratches. It's time to - sue apple!"

*Note - this was written was written without reading anyone's post so if someone already made that joke I am sorry. *
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

*Note - this was written was written without reading anyone's post so if someone already made that joke I am sorry. *

I totally already made that joke!!! Gosh!
  • Reply 19 of 59
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    My guess: Sep 19 intro, most likely of the iPod, just after the Back-to-School promo ends on Sep 16.

The counterpoint is that, as everyone else is reducing prices and/or increasing flash memory capacity, the iPod nanos are looking mighty expensive. Though Gene Munster claims that Apple held its 76% US share through May (I presume of all types of players). So if there's no capacity boost, then maybe there will be a price reduction in early July.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

edit: Double post and for some reason it won't let me delete.

You see? It's starting already. Word got through to the network god, and you're through!