Apple seen delivering "ultra-portable" at Macworld

Comments

• Reply 41 of 190
    I dunno about some of the ideas being passed around here. The way I see it, Apple has two options here: make a regular components, nothing cut out MacBook mini with some stupid OS on flash crap; or a pocketable internet tablet, similar to the 770. If you try and mix the two, you get a UMPC. It's got no optical drive, standard tiny tablet Windows XP, it's bulky, not pocketable, etc.

So say Apple did do a mini with a 10 or 11" screen. Sure, I don't see a problem with that. I dunno who would say 13 is small, cause to me it sure isn't. I mean, if I had the choice I would've gone with something a bit smaller. Thus the mini. But, if you're gonna cut out a lot of the components, why necessitate a huge 10" screen?

That's where we go into 770 territory. People say it's too small, and has no real use. Well, if you want a small pocketable machine that you can use to connect to the net anywhere, they you may enjoy it. No, it isn't a music player, or media hub. It's meant to connect you online. That's it. But don't forget how vastly huge the net is. I think it would be a very cool product, especially if Apple made one, with amazing design, built-in iSight, great UI, etc, etc.

Then there's the one problem that all products seem to be gaining internet access, eliminating the need for such a tablet product. I mean, look at the DS Lite, or even cell phones. And I can very easily see the rumoured 6G iPod with video incorporating wifi access either at launch or maybe shortly afterwards.

*sigh*

Now we're waiting for iPod video, iPhone, MacBook mini, iTablet...

Although, in recent years, Apple seems to have given fanboys more and more of what we've been screaming for for years... Shuffle, Mac mini, Intel, iPod w/ video, MacBook. So are theses seemingly crazy products really just around the corner?
  • Reply 42 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Huh, reminds me of the 8" Mac tablet I have been going on about for the last four months or so?

[deadhorse mode]

8" widescreen multi-touch LCD

1.0GHz ULV Core Solo CPU

533MHz FSB

512MB NAND flash memory

2GB DDR2 SDRAM (two SO-DIMM slots)

32GB 1.8" FlashRAM HDD

Intel GMA950 integrated GPU

WUSB (wireless USB)

AirPort Extreme

BlueTooth

Quad band cell capabilities

Pivoting iSight camera

stereo BlueTooth headset w/microphone

Stylus

Mac OS X 10.5

iLife '06

iWork '06

About the size of a DVD case (which is really close to a 16:10 ratio) and half again as thick...

[/deadhorse mode]

specs may change, four months is almost an eternity in microprocessor time?

Huh?

The only problem I have with this is that it's to small to efficiently edit a film on iMovie, or make a presentation in Keynote. And then, it's too large to even fit in your pocket. Either you go the cut-down route with small screen (ala 770) or full capability route with larger, though under 13" screen.

I like your ideas for the most part. It's basically an Apple-ized 770, which I definitely would buy in a heartbeat. I'm sure it would have almost twice the functionality of the 770, and be 10x better in usability and design. Here's where something like a cut-down miniTunes would work, or small organization apps like iCal work. I mean, something like this may not be good for creating presentations, but it would be awesome for showing them (via a projector of course lol). But I digress... will it ever happen is the question.
  • Reply 43 of 190
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    While I like some things about the Nokia 770, I think you'd want the equivalent Apple device to be able to act better as a standalone computer. All the 770 has for connectivity is WiFi, Bluetooth and a reduced size MMC slot.

I think this device would have to have a video out (mini-DVI), USB and preferably also FireWire. Some kind of detachable USB keyboard that can also act as a cover would be nice. I really think you want more like an 8" or 10" screen though. It'd be good if most OS X apps would work well with the screen resolution, and I think it'd be a tight fit on a screen like the 770's. Only way around that is if Apple starts providing a Front Row type front-end to apps like Mail, Address Book, iCal, Safari, etc.
  • Reply 44 of 190
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Originally posted by palegolas I need that gpu since I'm working with gfx and video all the time.

So I'll bite...what apps are you running that take advantage of GPU?

And you're really going to run those GPU intensive apps on the smallest screen you can buy?

Quote:

Originally posted by natec

.....because the 25 seconds it takes my MacBook to boot up is just waaaayyyyyy too slow, when i restart once every two or three weeks.....

How fast does your MB wake from hibernation? I assume the fast boot is aimed at users who want to shut down instead of sleep or hibernate, don't those still use some power?
  • Reply 45 of 190
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

How fast does your MB wake from hibernation? I assume the fast boot is aimed at users who want to shut down instead of sleep or hibernate, don't those still use some power?

Hibernate does not use power, but it takes maybe ten seconds to get going again, a little longer for more than stock memory. Sleep wakes up almost instantly, but does take some power.
  • Reply 46 of 190
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Homestar06

Score. What a beautiful product it will be. This would seem to finish out the line for Apple. Everything from ultra portable to the Mac Pro (when it comes out). Then no one will have a reason to buy a PC.

Mac Digital Life Technology... the MacDLT
  • Reply 47 of 190
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Hibernate does not use power, but it takes maybe ten seconds to get going again, a little longer for more than stock memory. Sleep wakes up almost instantly, but does take some power.

Sleep will drain my iBook in less than 7 days. Sleep is great but it sucks the power.
  • Reply 48 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

So I'll bite...what apps are you running that take advantage of GPU?

And you're really going to run those GPU intensive apps on the smallest screen you can buy?

My iBook wakes up from sleep instantly and my MBP 2 GHz sometimes takes 5 seconds and two tries. Hopefully, 10.4.7 will fix that.
  • Reply 49 of 190
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

My iBook wakes up from sleep instantly and my MBP 2 GHz sometimes takes 5 seconds and two tries. Hopefully, 10.4.7 will fix that.

Safe Sleep is the reason.
  • Reply 50 of 190
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Safe Sleep is the reason.

Yes I have a condom on each finger whenever I interact with my computer.
  • Reply 51 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

*Cries because he just bought a MacBook a month ago*

This is a RUMOUR about a product that MIGHT be released in JANUARY. There's no reason to cry.
  • Reply 52 of 190
    "The same way you come off a plane and get a cell phone signal immediately."

Um... right. Obviously this man has never come off a plane and turned his cell phone back on.

Or am I the only one for whom "Searching for Network" means anything?
  • Reply 53 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by danbirchall

"The same way you come off a plane and get a cell phone signal immediately."

Um... right. Obviously this man has never come off a plane and turned his cell phone back on.

Or am I the only one for whom "Searching for Network" means anything?

I don't know. Between landing and exiting I send 5 emails from my Crack Berry. I think the man has a point, I want my computer on in about 5 seconds.
  • Reply 54 of 190
    Quote:

That's where we go into 770 territory. People say it's too small, and has no real use. Well, if you want a small pocketable machine that you can use to connect to the net anywhere, they you may enjoy it. No, it isn't a music player, or media hub. It's meant to connect you online. That's it. But don't forget how vastly huge the net is. I think it would be a very cool product, especially if Apple made one, with amazing design, built-in iSight, great UI, etc, etc. [

The 770 actually can do most of the things you describe. It has a built in media player that can support most every non proprietary format (ie. ITMS music/video and Windows Media) available. Video looks fantastic on it, as do photos and music sounds great. Even the user interface isn't terrible and more apps are available all the time.

The only things that I have found lacking on it is the handwriting recognition, which makes a first gen Newton look good.I've found that most people who bash the 770 have never seriously used one (or even seen it). With a bluetooth keyboard, it could very nearly replace my MBP as the main note taking device in classes.
  • Reply 55 of 190
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I like "NanoBook".

I dont know much about NAND technology or what limits it would put on high end applications. The technology itself sounds cool....but would it really be a replacement for the 12" pro laptop like some suggest?

I tend to guess not, but rather create a whole new niche that Apple hasnt really tapped in awhile, the "ultra portable".

But how ultra portable? I mean if I get a 13" macbook now for when I travel, would I shell out again for an ultra portable? And how much MORE portable will it be? Would the 13" macbook be THAT much BIGGER?

It sounds cool though. I COULD see alot of people who travel alot go for it. I see it mainly as a websurfing light work laptop though. Kinda like a macbook lite.

But thats me.

If so, that would still leave a hole in the small apple pro laptop market. The macbooks are cool, but slightly "crippled" with an integrated gpu and lacking some pro features.

Will apple ever offer a pro sub notebook or even a small pro laptop again?

Dunno.

Gonna buy the next upgrade to the macbook. If nothing else comes out before then that is. ;-)
  • Reply 56 of 190
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by regan

I like "NanoBook".

I dont know much about NAND technology or what limits it would put on high end applications. The technology itself sounds cool....but would it really be a replacement for the 12" pro laptop like some suggest?

I tend to guess not, but rather create a whole new niche that Apple hasnt really tapped in awhile, the "ultra portable".

But how ultra portable? I mean if I get a 13" macbook now for when I travel, would I shell out again for an ultra portable? And how much MORE portable will it be? Would the 13" macbook be THAT much BIGGER?

It sounds cool though. I COULD see alot of people who travel alot go for it. I see it mainly as a websurfing light work laptop though. Kinda like a macbook lite.

But thats me.

If so, that would still leave a hole in the small apple pro laptop market. The macbooks are cool, but slightly "crippled" with an integrated gpu and lacking some pro features.

Will apple ever offer a pro sub notebook or even a small pro laptop again?

Dunno.

Gonna buy the next upgrade to the macbook. If nothing else comes out before then that is. ;-)

Then it would have to be either a MacNano, or a NanoMac, because all computers from Apple from now on (in the forseeable future) will have "Mac" in the name.
  • Reply 57 of 190
    noqnoq Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OriginalMacRat

MacBook Nano????

What about MacBook Express?
  • Reply 58 of 190
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by noq

What about MacBook Express?

That's not bad... But I think MacBook nano probably captures what the laptop will be--tiny, rather than fast, per se.
  • Reply 59 of 190
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

About the size of a DVD case (which is really close to a 16:10 ratio) and half again as thick...

Still can't quite clip it to my belt, though...
  • Reply 60 of 190
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    As I have stated before, in many other threads, there needs to be three distinct models of Apple multi-input touchscreen tablets...

The 8" model, for technogeeks everywhere, and also great for sys admins...

The 13.3" model for education & business users...

And the 17" model for the DCC crowd...

All models able to slot into a docking station, with external keyboard & mouse, assorted display options, optical & SATA drives...?

I envision the architects where I wageslave using the 17" tablet on field surveys and as the touchscreen client frontend for an ArchiOffice database, while piping their AutoCAD (running natively on Intel hardware running WindowsOS via built-in OS X virtualization goodness...) onto a 30" ACD when in the office...

13.3" tablets & 23" ACDs for the architect interns, aka associates...

And finally a sweet little 8" model for me to use as a constant sys admin tool... For keeping an eye on everyone in ARD...

I like threatening to "Lock it down! Lock it ALL down!" when they come to me with the latest malaise caused by WinBlow$...

Plus, SketchUp would be so very SWEET on a 17" Apple multi-input touchscreen tablet... Stylus as input for drawing, fingertip/hand gestures for viewport navigation...?!?

Which means I would have both a 8" & 17" tablet in my bag most times...

;^p