Reuters: Microsoft readying Apple iPod rival

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Microsoft Corp. is laying the groundwork to compete against Apple Computer's iPod digital entertainment device and iTunes service, sources familiar with the plans told Reuters on Friday.

The world's largest software maker reportedly held licensing discussions with the music industry to create its own music service.

At the meetings, an entertainment device that plays videos and music was also demonstrated, according to Reuters' source.

Microsoft has previously denied having aspirations of entering the digital music business, currently dominated by Apple in the United States.

On Thursday, the Redmond, Washington-based company announced a two-year transition process that will ultimately end with the departure of chairman Bill Gates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Those sneeky bastards....

They claimed URGE was it.

They claimed MP3 players on the whole suck and only a cell phone is the way to go (an idea I loathe).

And now they want to make both.

Damnit Bill, just step your ass down already and let your company run into the ground.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    knnethknneth Posts: 14member
    Woo! Lower Audio prices!!
  • Reply 3 of 39
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    APPLE IS DOOOMED!!!!

sorry, I had to be the first to say it.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    I think Microsoft should focus on their core business. They are trying to dabble in too many areas, while their flagship product is already an old cow before it ever Vistas the day of light...

For Apple's sake, I hope they do just as good a job with the MP3 player as Creative
  • Reply 5 of 39
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Um... what kind of an article is this? Doesn't Microsoft already *have* licensing agreements and its own music service? Um, you know? http://music.msn.com/? Which was the primary store in Windows Media Player before this URGE non-sense?

And Microsoft just denied working on an iPod rival (the whole Japan mistranslation fiasco). Either something's fishy here, or Microsoft is so schizo, one hand of the company doesn't know what the other is doing.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ALL , NO ACTION!!
  • Reply 7 of 39
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applestockholder

I think Microsoft should focus on their core business. They are trying to dabble in too many areas, while their flagship product is already an old cow before it ever Vistas the day of light...

For Apple's sake, I hope they do just as good a job with the MP3 player as Creative

Yeah like the iPod is responsible for Apple's unwillingness to jump ship to another CPU platform and is the reason we're still stuck with sucky G4's and flatlined G5's ..... hey!

MS are up to something interesting stuff these days. Read: chaos!

I've had some time with Vista betas and I can assure you they are shamed by Panther, yet alone whatever Leopard will bring.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

ALL , NO ACTION!!

Quote:

Originally posted by fuyutsuki

I've had some time with Vista betas and I can assure you they are shamed by Panther, yet alone whatever Leopard will bring.

They're shamed by Panther? Or Tiger? I think they're shamed by both, just clarifying.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    gmacgmac Posts: 79member
    No worries.

If MS builds it, it will be 5 years late and look like this:

• Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gmac

No worries.

If MS builds it, it will be 5 years late and look like this:

• Reply 11 of 39
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

They're shamed by Panther? Or Tiger? I think they're shamed by both, just clarifying.

Of course Tiger and Panther. The only thing I didn't like about the 10.3 to 10.4 upgrade was the way the new shiny glass style menu bar clashes with the top of other windows which are generally darker shades. Oh and Panther's little Apple Menu icon was prettier than the new flat blue one. But these are about as small as details get!

Compared with XP however, Vista is nice to look at. A pain to run, a nightmare to actually use software with, but a bit prettier on the eyes. I'm sure the 90% are going to really enjoy their latest flavour of schadenfreude once it finally arrives. 8)
  • Reply 12 of 39
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    its going to be absolutely packed with features that the iPod lacks!

FEATURES!!
  • Reply 13 of 39
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

its going to be absolutely packed with features that the iPod lacks!

FEATURES!!

Like a keyboard so you can play along!

Go Microsoft!!
  • Reply 14 of 39
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    MS is trying to be the be-all, end-all technology company, trying to dominate whatever market they think they can make a profit in by copying their competitor's best ideas and then flooding the market with their products in an attempt to overwhelm their competition. That might have worked in the 90's with Windows, but it hasn't worked for the Xbox, and I doubt it'll work here - they're years behind the times, and have zero momentum.

A strategy of taking on all the other major players at once (Apple, Sony, Google, Yahoo, etc. etc.) is a recipe for disaster. They're losing their sense of identity. They should take a lesson from their competitors: do one thing, and do it well.

It may take many years, but I predict that the Microsoft beast will eventually be overtaken by its more nimble, innovative competitors, unless this "restructuring" that they're talking about actually streamlines and reinvigorates the company.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    PS - I love the pics, guys!

• Reply 16 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Any major push will keep Apple on it's toes and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the story of how chicken soup was invented.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Any major push will keep Apple on it's toes and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the story of how chicken soup was invented.

mmmm.. chicken soup.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member
    Well, you know at first I thought, too little too late for MS but just look at their hardware accessories like their keyboards and mice. Microsoft actually makes nice keyboards and mice, can't say so much for their software. So, we will have to just wait and see. I doubt it'll have the nice class as Apple has but it probably will look very nice physically.

Their success will all depend on how well their service is implemented with their MP3 device, it'll either make it or break it. That we will have to see. I hope Apple's iPod will always remain top dog but we will never know until Microsoft gets into the game. I would love to do some MS bashing right now as I love the iPod but there is always that chance for something even cooler to come out....I hope not!
  • Reply 19 of 39
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nofear1az

Well, you know at first I thought, too little too late for MS but just look at their hardware accessories like their keyboards and mice. Microsoft actually makes nice keyboards, game controllers, and mice, can't say so much for their software. So, we will have to just wait and see.

Aside from keyboard, game controllers, and mice, and possibly Xbox, Microsoft has failed at every hardware ventures. Remember Microsoft's home theater remote control? Network routers? DVR? WebTV? Speakers?

I am not saying everything Apple touches turns into gold, but Microsoft's hardware division hardly has good track record.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Soooo if Microsoft starts making hardware, could we be looking at a spin off division by the name of Microhard?