Partitioning, Windows, and Parallels

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am ordering a 100GB hard drive for my Macbook (which is on order) and I plan to run Windows with Parallels

Should I partition my hard drive?

If so how?

How much space should I allocate to Windows--I plan to use only one program and will not use it for photos, web trolling etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    What's the minimum recommended disk space for XP?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    I checked and it states a minimum of 1.5 GB
  • Reply 3 of 9
    another site says 20GB
  • Reply 4 of 9
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

another site says 20GB

if you are using parallels you don't need to partition anything.

only if you use bootcamp do you need to partition your drive and apple does that for you.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Thanks all of you for your helpful advice
  • Reply 6 of 9
    project2501project2501 Posts: 433member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

I checked and it states a minimum of 1.5 GB

1.5 GB is probably very close to the starting size of Windows directory, but you have to remember that also the windows programs take space. Also OS's have bit of a nasty habit to grow over time, so you should take that also to account. Last advice I'm going to give to you, is never store your documents on same partition (virtual or real) with your OS. I know many people who like to install windows from scratch every half year. It helps if you don't have to remove all your documents before you do it. I have found that around 30Gigs is optimal size for my windows and for my progs.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    maybe you can do a custom install and drop all the unecessary stuff, also parallels site says it has a compression app that is included with desktop to reduce the size. i want as little as possible for xp so i can have some room for windows docs, apps etc and leave the vast majority to mac os. all i need from xp is to run internet explorer/ a vpn and maybe for a sheet fed scanner (visioneer)

also do you buy now and save some $$$ or wait...?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I installed Boot Camp on my new Macbook --and allowed the minimal amount of memory for Windows--the default which is 6 MB--I installed a 100MB hard drive.

Windows is working fine--the only problem I had was the wireless connection --which was helped by some nice people on the Appleinsider genius bar

I was using wep instead of wap--when I changed that, and inserted my password it worked fine.

Apples Boot Camp installation instructions should be printed out and followed--they are perfect.

It is not a difficult installation
  • Reply 9 of 9
    In Parallels there is no need to partition anything! You're thinking of bootcamp. I just created an expanding virtual hard drive in parallels (it'll grow up to the size you say it can). I also have been using the included compressor tool which really helps keep my XP virtual drive quite small...or smaller than it would be without it I should say.