New PowerMacs - Loud?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    I just got my new DP867 yesterday. It is SO loud! When you first start it up it sounds like a V8. Not a high pitch whine, its alot deeper in frequency than the Quicksilvers and it does quiet down when the machine is idle and the fan spins down. But when you get the temp up with some number crunching it is damn loud!

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: synapse ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by BrDoc:

<strong>

I used several of the new PMs at the apple store yesterday, and they were rather quiet. I put my ear up to the intake holes ( sounds like a car) on the front and it was still quiet. Man did that thing pump out the heat on the back!!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

there are 4 fans inside of new pm: 2 for power block; one big fan for cpu heatsink cooling; one attached to backplane of mobo. 867 and 1 ghz models are much quiter than 1.25 ghz. since there are many background music in apple store, i am not sure how to compare with my g4 450 which is very noisy.

the case design is very elegant and it is the best mechanical design for a computer. you can access to any part easily. i open it when it was running. yeah, it is just a snap off/on.

there are two drive bays: one is attached beneath power block while another one is underneath the optical drive. the former is ata100 and latter is ata66. but i did notice there is another ata33 socket. i am not sure what it is. is there ata33 before?

there are 4 air vents at the front. but air is not taken directly since there is a lid inside to each vent. and the lid is fixed to an angle so air could get through downward into the case.

they are preinstalled with jaguar. but i did not feel any snappy response much. one thing is that photoshop has slow loading and i remember that p4 could do it in notime or even classic photoshop is faster. well, office suite is faster loading.

overall, i will not regret to have one of this new baby.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I was at the Apple Store a couple days ago and I tried listening to a new PowerMac. It seemed average - not too loud, but not too quiet either. But it may be that I'm used to my brother running his Rev. B iMac, Quadra 950 (loud!!!!!) and Performa 630 in the next room all at the same time.

Good way to prepare for new PowerMac - get a Quadra 950 and run it constantly. The PowerMac will seem nearly silent by comparison. That Quadra has a huge fan... sometimes when my brother runs it with the side panel open, I put my hand in front of the fan, and I get some serious wind.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -:

<strong>Well I 'm disapointed as I have a new dual gig w/ G4Ti ordered.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Boo F-ing Hoo. Put it under you desk if it's too loud. You should be happy to have enough money to buy a new machine.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    bsharpbsharp Posts: 64member
    [quote]Originally posted by CyberZorn:

<strong>

Boo F-ing Hoo. Put it under you desk if it's too loud. You should be happy to have enough money to buy a new machine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So what you're saying is that someone who has earned the money to purchase a new machine should take whatever Apple offers, even if it's not what he wants? That's stupid.

In today's business environment, products only improve when people refuse to spend their hard-earned money on inferior releases. Vote with your wallet - don't buy it if it's not fast enough or if it's too noisy or if it's not what you want.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    seems like evryone has a different idea of what noisy is. I have a PM 8100 and its not noisy. I had a G4 400 and a G4 466 and both seemed very quiet to me, yet someone here found the G4 450 noisy. Apparently they haven't heard a PC before because my sisters IBM and Gateway are far louder than any Mac I've heard. I'm wondering if any of you that find it loud have the tower on your desk? I only keep mine on the floor............................
  • Reply 27 of 29
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    While placing a tower underneath your desk is certainly a valid solution to noise control, it is also kind of lame if you like to place your handsome looking QS where it can be seen easily. Apple spends a lot of time making these things look cool, so it is a shame to stuff them under a desk (unless absolutely necessary).

For your average noisy PC in an ugly, generic case, by all means stuff it under a desk.

I'm just afraid that if Mac towers seem to be getting noisy and people adapt the under-desk location, then that will push Apple to make less beautiful/more noisy computers in the future, since they know people will be putting them under-desk, and so on... It is a slippery slope that I would rather stay away from. I would rather Apple continue concentrating on good-looking designs that remain under a certain noise level.

I guess more power has got to lead to more fan noise, so there is probably only so much that can be done ultimately. Are we doomed to ugly, noisy computers in the future? Maybe the idea of an imbedded-use CPU design (ala Motorola) wasn't so bad, afterall (aside from being behind on processing horsepower, of course). You choose your evil, I guess...
  • Reply 28 of 29
    The fan mounted on the side panel cools the media bays and only the media bays. It lines up perfectly with the vent holes on them and even has a gasket to seal it against them when closed. Take a look at the open picture available on Apple's PR page to see what I mean...
  • Reply 29 of 29
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    My tower isn't way back under my desk, its front panel is even with the front panel of the desk so you can see the front of it quite clearly...............