Mac OS X 10.4.7 to deliver audio fixes, more

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
An update to Apple Computer's Mac OS X Tiger operating system due within a matter of days will deliver audio enhancements for several of the company's applications, AppleInsider has learned.

Specifically, people who claim to have tested the latest pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.4.7 say the update will offer fixes for audio playback in iTunes, Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack and QuickTime. It will also improve Bluetooth file transfers, mobile phone synching and mouse pairings, these people have said.

The update has been under development at Apple for a couple months and saw its latest seedings on Thursday in the form of Mac OS X 10.4.7 build 8J2133 (Intel) and Mac OS X 10.4.7 build 8J133 (Power PC). In Delta update form -- the bare bones install requiring Mac OS X 10.4.6 -- the updates are said to weigh in at a hefty 130MB and 64MB, respectively.

Testers have also disclosed that Apple has implemented fixes into the release for saving Adobe and Quark documents to AFP mounted volumes, syncing files and other data to .Mac, and using iChat to create chat rooms over the AIM protocol.

Additional enhancements will target PDF workflows in applications like iCal and iPhoto, importing files into Keynote 3, ensuring icons are spaced correctly when viewed on desktop, and importing and removing fonts in Apple's Font Book application.

According to testers, the company recently completed the documentation for Mac OS X 10.4.7, suggesting a release within days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    jacksyijacksyi Posts: 12member
    Does this mean the MacBook kernel panics will go away?
  • Reply 2 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Does anybody else have that minor issue, with you're mighty mouse cursor? Whereby it suddenly jumps randomly now and then to a screen corner without notice.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Does anybody else have that minor issue, with you're mighty mouse cursor? Whereby it suddenly jumps randomly now and then to a screen corner without notice.

I had that same issue. However, it seemed to go away when using a mouse pad. (Although I didn't get to test it for too long after that because I traded it for a BT Mouse)
  • Reply 4 of 72
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "ensuring icons are spaced correctly when viewed on desktop"

So now if you use the smallest possible font and side-labels to pack your desktop with cluttery goodness (like I do), hopefully the spacing will be tighter than the second-smallest size. Right now the spacing is oddly larger at the smallest font size.
  • Reply 5 of 72
    So, hopefully it be out sometime next week.
  • Reply 6 of 72
    timmydtimmyd Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

That used to happen with me and a Dell laser mouse... using a good mousepad and a logitech mouse gets rid of it. (Hehe, i even went so far as to think someone was using VNC to get into my computer when it would happen
  • Reply 7 of 72
    mdamda Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

So, hopefully it be out sometime next week.

I'll bet it's out today.
  • Reply 8 of 72
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MDA

I'll bet it's out today.

If not today then Monday but I feel today being it.
  • Reply 9 of 72
    Then I'm gonna guess Tuesday.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    No, no, Tuesday is the iPhone.

Oops.
  • Reply 11 of 72
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JackSYi

If only.
  • Reply 12 of 72
    mdamda Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

If not today then Monday but I feel today being it.

Given how late it's getting to be I'm going to change to next week.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    What's audio fixes, precioussss, what's audio fixes?
  • Reply 14 of 72
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Kernel panics on MacOS X are almost always caused by either buggy third-party drivers or bad RAM. I'd inventory what you've installed, and if you think you haven't installed any hardware drivers, then take it back to the Apple Store and have them check the RAM.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

What's audio fixes, precioussss, what's audio fixes?

• Reply 16 of 72
    baranovichbaranovich Posts: 184member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

I second the and raise you .
  • Reply 17 of 72

Boom!
  • Reply 18 of 72
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

Kernel panics on MacOS X are almost always caused by either buggy third-party drivers or bad RAM. I'd inventory what you've installed, and if you think you haven't installed any hardware drivers, then take it back to the Apple Store and have them check the RAM.

+1

Quote:

If you're having kernel panics, test the RAM (extended test). If the RAM is defective, get Apple to replace it. If the RAM passes, do a clean re-install of the system and don't install any third party software. If the panics persist, demand a new machine from Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    Quote:

ensuring icons are spaced correctly when viewed on desktop

I am hoping this means:

a) the icons no longer jump around from time to time when you drag a new item to an icon view window!

b) the icon spacing (in icon view) is tighter, closer -- like it used to be in ancient OS 9 days. Maybe even 'user selectable.' There's a thought.

Jaguar had closer spacing than Panther \ , Tiger brought icons back closer, to about Jaguar horizontal spacing.

In my mind, having ability or option to put icons closer is a 'good thing' for the folders that I prefer in icon view.

OK, so most of my Finder views are List mode, a few column, but many are in icon view -- so I guess I am 'spatial' oriented. And as such, when the icons all jump around because I drag a new icon into an icon view window, it about drives me to frustration.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Quote:

What MacBook kernel panics? You speak like it's a known issue?

Never seen one on my BlackBook. And in the forums, I've seen the usual isolated stories of flaking skins, orange palm rests, oversized trackpads, mooing fans, molten computers, and a lot of whiny little bitch owners who make up problems to get attention, but a reputation for kernel panics is a new one to me.

I've seen far more kernel panics on my Dual G5 2.5 (which is hardly ever, and I think was caused by yanking a USB cable at an inopportune time) than I have on my MacBook, which is NEVER.