Post your Macworld '07 Ultra-Portable mock-ups here!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Yea so it's a rumor and as of today it's a lifetime away, but I happen to believe the hype. Oh and I'm not the best with the mock-ups, so I'll leave that to the professionals. Give it your best guys, and gals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Yea so it's a rumor and as of today it's a lifetime away, but I happen to believe the hype. Oh and I'm not the best with the mock-ups, so I'll leave that to the professionals. Give it your best guys, and gals.

You've got a mock-up fetish sir.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

You've got a mock-up fetish sir.

That I do! Apple mock-ups always put a nice taste in my mouth. I say yummy.

• Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

That I do! Apple mock-ups always put a nice taste in my mouth. I say yummy.

Most mock-ups that appear are worthless, pointless, and ugly.

There are a few... that are nice...

Generally however, the only point of a mock-up thread is humour.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Generally however, the only point of a mock-up thread is humour.

So, this mockup walks into a sandwich shop and says....

• Reply 5 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Most mock-ups that appear are ...ugly.

Yet when Apple releases a computer in a small round-cornered two-tone box it's beautiful!

Or when the front of their tower looks like a cheese grater, it's amazing industrial design!

Or when the iMac looks like a white pizza box with an LCD, stand, and Apple logo, it's the best design EVAR!

My point: Some people's mockups look just as good as the simple, boring (IMHO) stuff Apple designs.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

My point: Some people's mockups look just as good as the simple, boring (IMHO) stuff Apple designs.

The important word here is simple. Simple. They make it look simple, but it's not simple. No other computer company in the industry can do simple designs, because they lack the recipe, they lack the combined talent to come up with them. They lack vision, and that special eye, they both Jobs and Ive have. The lack the gift of instinctively knowing what people want. It's that SIMPLE 8)

TV companies that are making TV's for over 30 years are still coming up with remotes that look like these. And they release them!

People don't want that shit, yet 99% of the companies still sell it.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    So you're saying that Sony should/can replace their standard remote on a 42" LCD TV with something as "simple" as the Apple remote? Good luck with that...though you make a good point. Many remotes are too complex, but it really seems like that's a necessary evil. Fortunately (for those who can afford them) there are simpler touchscreen programmable remotes to make everything, well, simpler.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

So you're saying that Sony should/can replace their standard remote on a 42" LCD TV with something as "simple" as the Apple remote? Good luck with that...though you make a good point. Many remotes are too complex, but it really seems like that's a necessary evil. Fortunately (for those who can afford them) there are simpler touchscreen programmable remotes to make everything, well, simpler.

I never said that, but they could take a leaf out of apple's book!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Yet when Apple releases a computer in a small round-cornered two-tone box it's beautiful!

Or when the front of their tower looks like a cheese grater, it's amazing industrial design!

Or when the iMac looks like a white pizza box with an LCD, stand, and Apple logo, it's the best design EVAR!

We'll your quite right that -- some peoples mock-ups are equal if not better to Apple's finnished product. But the key is -- some. MOST however are rubbish.

At any rate, the "cheese grater" powermac is a great design both scientifically and visually. As far as the iMac -- looking like a pizza box on a stand, the beauty of the design is that it's less than 2 inches thin and all-in-one again both scientifically and visually appealing.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
  • Reply 11 of 15
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

But the remotes have to be complex only because the devices are stupid.

That's why the Front Row remote can be simple-- the computer has enough processing power to make the interface smart, and all the remote has to do is navigate and enter.

It doesn't even take that much to put a decent UI on a something like a plasma, if that is the design goal.

For instance, the remotes on video projectors aren't particularly complex, the UI is. The remote is just for tabbing through possible categories of adjustment, scrolling up and down, and selecting.

And for the two things you really want direct access on, volume and channel, you make the left/right and up/down buttons default to same, as the ipod and Front Row more or less do.

Of course, part of the problem is that manufacturers insist on trying to make one remote to rule them all, so that you can control your TV, DVD, VCR and Cable from the remote that came with the TV.

But all the DVD functionality (for instance) can be in the menu structure, and for direct access transport controls (using a dedicated "shift function" key), the cursor keys become play/pause, fast forward, back, slow step, and back step.

A massively buttoned remote was just a way of exposing functionality when putting real menu structures on displays wasn't practical, and it has overstayed it's welcome.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    The only other company that I can think of that has managed to produce a simple remote is Bang and Olufsen, for their integrated HiFi/DVD/small TV. However, the machine wasn't quite intelligent enough, and it couldn't control all the teletext functions!

David
  • Reply 13 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Hey, don't mock their mock-ups!

But seriously, folks, it would be so cool if Apple would skip a generation and go straight for the next level of industrial design on this one. Something like an integrated e-ink display that folds up like a map, or curves over on itself, or something like a digital version of the traditional paper organizer, and thinner and lighter to boot.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

I never said that, but they could take a leaf out of apple's book!

And provide a shitty little 6-button remote that can't even give you subtitled on a DVD?

Fuck no.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

And provide a shitty little 6-button remote that can't even give you subtitled on a DVD?

Fuck no.

You Moron!

Did you NOT see the post he was replying too?!

Quote:

It was clear that the point of Ireland's post was to say that, while a 6 bottom remote (like Apple's front row remote) is not practical for the average TV -- but the makers of such average TV's could take a leaf from Apple's book by making remotes that are considerably more simple, less cluttered, and easy to use than current remotes.