PC & Mac-friendly hard drive format?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey all,

i've been given an external HD by a friend, and currently it's in some windows format and locked (the two issues are separate). This means it's read-only. Apparently i can only uncheck the read-only option with a PC (havent got one).

So as im running outta time, i was thinking i'd just reformat at but my pal uses a PC.

So my question: which format is PC-friendly?

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

hey all,

i've been given an external HD by a friend, and currently it's in some windows format and locked (the two issues are separate). This means it's read-only. Apparently i can only uncheck the read-only option with a PC (havent got one).

So as im running outta time, i was thinking i'd just reformat at but my pal uses a PC.

So my question: which format is PC-friendly?

Thank you.

FAT32 is cross-platform compliant, as in both windows and mac can read/write. The only limitation is that the partition cannot be larger than 32 GB.

If you only need the mac to be able to write, you can format NTFS. This fixes the size limitation.

If you want both to read/write and have a partition larger than 32GB, you can format it HFS+, but you'll need a program to be able to use it in windows.

Noah
  • Reply 2 of 9
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

If you only need the mac to be able to READ, you can format NTFS

t,ftfy
  • Reply 3 of 9
    This is just a guess, but I'd say that the drive isn't "locked", it's just formatted with NTFS (and thus read-only on your mac). Reformat the drive to fat32 and you'll be all set (back up anything on the drive before you do that!).
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by noah93

If you only need the mac to be able to write, you can format NTFS. This fixes the size limitation.

If you want both to read/write and have a partition larger than 32GB, you can format it HFS+, but you'll need a program to be able to use it in windows.

Noah

I believe NTFS is read-only for mac, not write-able. FAT is read/write for both mac/pc.

If you choose another format from disk utility, it will not work with the pc without some playing around with.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I ran into this same issue when I bought my external hard drive. NTFS is read only in OS X. FAT32 is the format that is cross compatible with both operating systems. In FAT32 there is a file size limitation of 4GB. Something to keep in mind if you are running iMovie or iDVD projects on the external drive.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    FAT32 partition limitation is 2TB, the 32GB is just a Microsoft imposed limitation.

Ext2 or Ext3 is another option, where free drivers are available for Win/Mac (I know for Win there are, should be for Mac), and Ext3 is actually modern, so it has journaling and large file support, like HFS+ and NTFS (but not FAT32).
  • Reply 7 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Actually, for Ext3, there's three problems: 1) its journaling only works on Linux, because it's implemented right in the kernel (I haven't heard of any ports of that implementation), 2) the Mac OS X driver works quite well on Panther, but not so on Tiger; the introduction of the KPI in Tiger made some changes necessary, and the developer hasn't had much time to make things stable and 3) (my obligatory flamebait) it just isn't a particularly good file system.

HFS+ is great. The one thing I wish it had is a free IFS (installable file system) driver for Windows. MacDrive is commercial and still not very bullet-proof.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

I believe NTFS is read-only for mac, not write-able. FAT is read/write for both mac/pc.

Sorry about that, meant to say read-only. I was quite tired from studying for final exams.

Noah
  • Reply 9 of 9
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    i ran out of time. So i just burnt what i need to to DVD.

Thanks all the same.