Extended monitor

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I?m using a G4 (with OS X 3.9) and a 22? Apple monitor. I would like to add another monitor (extended, not mirrored). I?ve picked a Viewsonic 20? VX2025wm monitor. How do I go about making it an extended monitor? What cables do I need? Do I need another video card? Which one?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by sequitur

I?m using a G4 (with OS X 3.9) and a 22? Apple monitor. I would like to add another monitor (extended, not mirrored). I?ve picked a Viewsonic 20? VX2025wm monitor. How do I go about making it an extended monitor? What cables do I need? Do I need another video card? Which one?

Depends on what model G4. If you have one with a DVI and ADC connectors on the back, you just need a cable adaptor to plug into the unused port. If you don't, then you need a PCI video card (one that is mac compatible of course).

-t
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tag Me Back

Depends on what model G4. If you have one with a DVI and ADC connectors on the back, you just need a cable adaptor to plug into the unused port. If you don't, then you need a PCI video card (one that is mac compatible of course).

-t

Thanks!!! I checked my computer and found a second socket next to the DVI connector - same card. I plugged in an old CRT into that second socket- I don't know what that connector is called (ADC??)- about an inch or so wide with three rows of pins - and it works great.

I can move documents from my main display right over to the CRT. Tomorrow I'll pick up the 20" flat panel I was planning on buying if this worked. As you suggested, I may need an adaptor. Thanks again.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:

I plugged in an old CRT into that second socket- I don't know what that connector is called (ADC??)- about an inch or so wide with three rows of pins

That's a VGA port (15pin D Shape) - the most common monitor port in the PC world.

The ADC - is a varient of the DVI port which included USB and Power connections.

mrtotes
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrtotes

That's a VGA port (15pin D Shape) - the most common monitor port in the PC world.

The ADC - is a varient of the DVI port which included USB and Power connections.

mrtotes

Right! The new display came with DVI and VGA cables. Couldn't use the DVI as that port was connected to my primary display. The VGA cable worked (no adaptor needed). I am getting an education from you guys.

I see that the VGA cable uses an analog signal. Is there a way to get another digital signal out from my Mac. For example - using an adaptor from the VGA port.

Does the fact that that there is a VGA port mean that the Video card wouldn't support another DVI?

Mac's are fabulous. I just plugged the new display in and the extended display system just WORKED. I didn't even need the software that came with the display.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Right! The new display came with DVI and VGA cables. Couldn't use the DVI as that port was connected to my primary display. The VGA cable worked (no adaptor needed). I am getting an education from you guys.

I see that the VGA cable uses an analog signal. Is there a way to get another digital signal out from my Mac. For example - using an adaptor from the VGA port.

Does the fact that that there is a VGA port mean that the Video card wouldn't support another DVI?

Mac's are fabulous. I just plugged the new display in and the extended display system just WORKED. I didn't even need the software that came with the display.

Nup, you're stuck with analog, unless you invest in another video card. But if your screen is sharp, I wouldn't bother with another card.