old or new?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
im considering buying a new ipod for my son, and have seen two that i think he will like, i have seen a 1gb nano and an old 15gb 3rd gen ipod, now i know the nano has some obvious qualities over the old 3rd gen but he dosen'nt really care about photos and games, all he wants is a music player. and to make things even harder they are both the same price, the battery on the 3rd gen has been replaced so it is like new, and he would get a host of accesories with the 3rd gen (itrip, extra headphones etc). so anyone who could help? thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Well, how much music does he intend to put on the iPod? If he want's to carry all his music with him at once, the 15 is going to be you better option, but that model is also like 3 years old. If it break, you're out ... the nano would still covered under warranty (I'd ask the seller when they bought it...) for a little while .. plus it's smaller. Do you want space or stlye ... that's what I think it comes down to. I ownd a 3G iPod and didn't have any problems with it. My brother has a Nano and he loves it...
  • Reply 2 of 20
    kitt123kitt123 Posts: 18member
    thanx, yeah he does buy quite alot of music from itunes to put on my ipod thats the reason im buying him one of his own, but it also means he does have a substancial amount of songs, but if i bought a nano, it aould be brand new not second hand, i also have another problem, if he takes the 3rd gen to school do you think he'd get laughed at? thanx
  • Reply 3 of 20
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    I think as longs as it's an iPod it'll still be cool. When I was working in retail this summer we had a kid bring in a 1st Gen iPod. He didn't wanna get rid of it ... the batter finallyy crapped out 4 years later. If you're worried about storage space, go with the 3G.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    stustanleystustanley Posts: 236member
    he wont get laughed at as much as if he had a zen.

In fact he won't get laughed at at all.

If he isn't worried about the photos or games go for the 3rd gen ipod, it has 15x as much space!

stu
  • Reply 5 of 20
    amodaamoda Posts: 17member
    Hey,

Hate to break the news but i know that most likely he will get laughed it. Maybe not fully laughed at but at least joked with or something. As a HighSchool student i know that if someone brought in a 3rd Gen it would be considered ghetto or it would be assumed that they couldn't afford a new ipod but wanted to say "hey i own an ipod!" and therefore bought the 3rd gen.

You might want to consider a used 2gb nano, or if you look around enough you'll probably find a decently priced 4th gen, which is still considered decent.

Just my .02
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by amoda

Hey,

Hate to break the news but i know that most likely he will get laughed it. Maybe not fully laughed at but at least joked with or something. As a HighSchool student i know that if someone brought in a 3rd Gen it would be considered ghetto or it would be assumed that they couldn't afford a new ipod but wanted to say "hey i own an ipod!" and therefore bought the 3rd gen.

You might want to consider a used 2gb nano, or if you look around enough you'll probably find a decently priced 4th gen, which is still considered decent.

Just my .02

I'm a college student ... iPods are everywhere. I see anything from 3rd Gen to 5th gen, Minis, shuffles and nanos all over the place. They update them every year. I don't recycle my iPod every year. I jumped from a 3rd gen to the 5th gen. An iPod is an iPod. Most kids probably won't notice much further than ... hey, that's an iPod ... why doesn't it play video? Oh ...it's an older one. I wouldn't worry about it
  • Reply 7 of 20
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    won't they be upgraded for back to school??? maybe option 3 wait and buy really new.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    amodaamoda Posts: 17member
    Well i guess an important question might be, how old is your son?

College students might be more mature and see it just as a music device. But for most HighSchool students it's a showoff thing. I know several people who have 60gb videos that are filled with an avg. of about 5-8gbs of music, a book or two (stuff like Da Vinci Code, suprise!) and maybe 1 video.

But like Ag said (i however changed most to some), some kids don't care. It depends on your son, and the people he hangs out with.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    oh dear mabey i should get him a nano, but then mabey not. aaah soo complicated!. but it has to be done, i will probley get the nano now. or just replace the battery in my 1st gen ipod full of oldies haha, yep the nano it is

• Reply 11 of 20
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

if he takes the 3rd gen to school do you think he'd get laughed at?

I go to a private high school, where everyone is in a compition to have the latest and greatest gadget, but all in all, no one I have talked to cares what gen the iPod is. Granted having a new one (U2 iPod) will bring more attention, but the nanos been out forever, so this aint a factor. Until December, I had a blue mini, no one laughed at me, even though most of my friends had videos.

All in all, you get laughed at for not having an iPod. And my friends think its nice that I have this "ancient" iPod.

Another up, that your son will enjoy are the accessories. The nano just comes with a pair of shit headphones, he'll have a radio transmiter, and other stuff, useful for (long) car rides.

My 2¢, go with the older one.

Either way, he'll still be happy, right?

Noah
  • Reply 12 of 20
    thanx for the replys, now the balance has tipped towards he 3rd gen, soo mabey i will get him that, yeah i probley will to be honest, thanx
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Getting an iPod is not grounds to be laughed at ... taking your Walkman casette player with mix tapes to ANY school ANYWHERE is grounds for ridicule!
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

Getting an iPod is not grounds to be laughed at ... taking your Walkman casette player with mix tapes to ANY school ANYWHERE is grounds for ridicule!

• Reply 15 of 20
    haha yeah i remember when i had a walkman in the 80s and it was like the ipod of today, everyone wanted a look at it, oh the memories, anyways i searched around ebay and found a 4th gen 20gb ipod for the same price, sure it dosent come with the itrip and more headphones but at least its a bit more modern and has a bit more storage, well thats me done, thanx all
  • Reply 16 of 20
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    retro is sooo modern now, look at all those restored jeep commanders in LA people want different, now with apple people want to think different but as a crowd, how about the shuffle. my wife has the 1gb and she loves the light weight and small size
  • Reply 17 of 20
    haha nah he said he wanted an ipod not an mp3 player with some apple logos stuck on it haha, nah i bought the 3rd gen now so i reckon hell be happy
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Can't touch "the brick". 20GB 2nd gen.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    haha ooooo isnt that like retro now, haha i have an old 1st gen but the battery died a long time ago, dam there were some fine tunes on that thing as well
  • Reply 20 of 20
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Hey, get a walkman, he can be just like Napolean Dynamite! Throw in a "Vote for Pedro" shirt too and he'd be the coolest kid at school.