AFP fixed at last?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I hope this fixes the nightmare I'm having with AFP crashing on our server nearly every other day - assuming 10.4.7 Server will be released at the same time

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I think this post missing some information. Care fill in blanks?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Yes, 10.4.7 will include major AFP fixes on the Server side. I know because I have been seeded a test version of the next AFP daemon and it did fix a LOT of my issues prior to 10.4.7
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Yes, 10.4.7 will include major AFP fixes on the Server side. I know because I have been seeded a test version of the next AFP daemon and it did fix a LOT of my issues prior to 10.4.7

I've heard (can't remember where) that AFP has been completely re-written for this update. Do you know if there's any truth in that? The number of problems we're having with OS X server, AFP and network home directories is getting bigger every day and it's doing my head in.

The only reason our office went with Mac OS X was for the networked home accounts and now the problems with it are making it unbearable to work with, particularly for MS Office and Adobe apps...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fotek2001

The only reason our office went with Mac OS X was for the networked home accounts and now the problems with it are making it unbearable to work with, particularly for MS Office and Adobe apps...

I am hearing that this is not a problem with AFP, but with Microsoft and Adobe.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    My AFP issues were related to random disconnects and weird issues in which the server would think the AFP clients were "asleep/idle", and thus they would get dropped. Apple refers to this issue as a deadlock problem. I spent over 6 months fighting with Apple and tested every single version of 10.4 Server from 10.4.0 to 10.4.6 - no luck. I am confident that 10.4.7 will fix my problems.

AFP rewritten from scratch? I doubt that.