Replaced iPod HD, PB12" will not recognize it

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've just replaced the hard drive and battery for my third gen. 15 GB iPod. The hard drive is the exact same as the old one except that it is 20 GB and doesn't have an Apple barcode on it.

Now I see a folder icon with an exclamation mark. This is because the hard drive is not formatted, I assume. So I try to run the updater, but my computer doesn't recognize the iPod. It is plugged in via firewire.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    OK, I've opened System Profiler, and under FireWire, it lists an "Unknown Device" from manufacturer "Unknown."

How do I format the hard drive so iTunes will recognize it as an iPod?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    You should be able to format the drive with disk utility and then try the restore option in the ipod updater.

(That's my 'just-woke-up-still-haven't-had-a-coffee' answer ... but I think it's right.)
  • Reply 3 of 39
    I've opened Disc Utility, but it only recognizes my hard drive, not the attached firewire drive.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

I've opened Disc Utility, but it only recognizes my hard drive, not the attached firewire drive.

Disc Utility doesn't list the firewire drive at all?
  • Reply 5 of 39
    No.

The iPod screen is still stuck on the Folder with Exclamation mark icon.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:

No.

The iPod screen is still stuck on the Folder with Exclamation mark icon.

Switch the 'hold' button on.

Press 'play' and 'menu' buttons at the same time until the iPod resets.

Did that work?
  • Reply 7 of 39
    That restarts the iPod, the Apple logo appears for about 10 or 15 seconds, then the file folder icon again.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    I'm dreading opening the iPod again to check the connections.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:

I'm dreading opening the iPod again to check the connections.

One more thing to try:

3G iPods: you can force it to enter disk mode by rebooting your iPod (hold down menu and play/pause for a few seconds (until the screen blanks out), and then quickly hold down rewind and fast forward).

Try to get it into disk mode, and attach it to the computer. Run Disk Utility and format it. Then run the updater to restore the firmware.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    I held down play and menu to reboot it and then held down ff and rw to get to disk mode, but after the reboot, the apple logo remains on the screen and doesn't go away.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

I held down play and menu to reboot it and then held down ff and rw to get to disk mode, but after the reboot, the apple logo remains on the screen and doesn't go away.

What happens if you attach it to the computer now?
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Same as before. Unknown device.

Do you know the key combo to get into the debug menu?
  • Reply 13 of 39
    OK, I'm in the debug menu. I'll see if I can find anything. Any hints on what to look for?
  • Reply 14 of 39
    HDD SCAN

HDD FAIL

this is the same as with my old hard drive. Could it be a connection problem?
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

Same as before. Unknown device.

Do you know the key combo to get into the debug menu?

Reset with 'menu' & 'play/pause' (approx 10 seconds)

When the Apple menu shows up, hold 'Rewind', 'Fast Forward' and 'Select'.

You'll be in diagnostic mode, then. Use Rewind and FForward to scroll through the selections.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    I'm afraid it just got worse.

I put my ipod to sleep through diagnostic mode, then switched the hold on. I opened the iPod to check the connections, they seem fine. I reassembled the iPod and tried to turn it on, but it remains asleep. I can't wake it up.

I've attached it to power, tried flipping the hold switch a few times, and tried rebooting, diagnostic, and disk mode combinations.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

I'm afraid it just got worse.

I put my ipod to sleep through diagnostic mode, then switched the hold on. I opened the iPod to check the connections, they seem fine. I reassembled the iPod and tried to turn it on, but it remains asleep. I can't wake it up.

I've attached it to power, tried flipping the hold switch a few times, and tried rebooting, diagnostic, and disk mode combinations.

Leave it attached to the power for 15 minutes or so.

Then disconnect from power and try again.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    OK.

I have no idea why it is behaving like this. And I have no clue how I'm going to format this hard drive. I can't get it into disk mode and my computer refuses to recognize it.

Would using a USB cable instead, or a PC instead help? Or at this point is definitely a connection problem or a motherboard failure?

Just last week I tried to replace my old hard drive with a functioning hard drive, but found out it was 8mm thick, rather than the 5mm of my old drive. I couldn't reassemble it, but I was able to connect the new drive and rip music off of it on to my computer. So unless I damaged something while trying to install this new hard drive, I think my connections should be fine.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

OK.

I have no idea why it is behaving like this. And I have no clue how I'm going to format this hard drive. I can't get it into disk mode and my computer refuses to recognize it.

Would using a USB cable instead, or a PC instead help? Or at this point is definitely a connection problem or a motherboard failure?

Just last week I tried to replace my old hard drive with a functioning hard drive, but found out it was 8mm thick, rather than the 5mm of my old drive. I couldn't reassemble it, but I was able to connect the new drive and rip music off of it on to my computer. So unless I damaged something while trying to install this new hard drive, I think my connections should be fine.

If you have access to a USB cable, try it. I've just looked at some websites and people have reported success using a USB cable with a Windows PC.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Cool I will try that soon.