Puchased Parallels: having trouble getting OS installed

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a copy of WINXP as an .iso file.

I launched Paralles (purchased copy) and pointed it to the CD-Drive to begin the installation process.

It progressed until the point where I got a DOS prompt: [DR-DOS] A\>

I entered "D\" to get back to the CD-Drive and when I do a "dir", I see the "WINXP.ISO" file.

Anyone know what I should do next? I've exausted my DOS command knowledge....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I can't tell if you have done this but make sure you set up the virtual machine to use the .iso as the cd-rom drive...is that what you've done or something else? click the cd/dvd link in the settings.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Burn the ISO to disc and install it.

Or use your legitimate copy of Windows from whence the ISO came. It is legit, isn't it?

<--mod
  • Reply 3 of 5
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

I can't tell if you have done this but make sure you set up the virtual machine to use the .iso as the cd-rom drive...is that what you've done or something else? click the cd/dvd link in the settings.

Actually, that was the problem -- didn't have "use .iso" checked. I'm up and running now -- thanks!

(PS Am I correct that, unlike Virtual PC, with Parallels, you cannot physicially drag a file from Mac==>XP? I've got the shared folders set up which works great).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OK, I have a question here about WINXP legality.

Suppose ACME Co. uses windows and one employee's laptop suffers a fatal blow against a wall. Miraculously, only the hard drive was damaged. New hard drive installed, we are given corporate XP CD-R's that have printed labels and a post-it S/N. I understand the need to hang on to the original disks and as a techie wouldn't trust the end user with fuzzy dice and mittons, but is this legal?