Qiuick Question: Matte or Glossy screen for MBP?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am getting a MacBook Pro 17in thru Salary sacrifice at work, and I am ordering in a few days time. Do you recommend the glossy or matte screen. I work in graphics and it says glossy is best for this sort of environ... but man I hate glare.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I don't know of anyone who uses a glossy screen when color accuracy is important.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I have seen the glossy and it is sexy. It is not nearly as glossy as WinBooks but it mkes the colors look soooo good. I have seen one in the Apple Store and a friend had a glossy 17 incher and an older powerbook 17 incher that I tried my best to compare on side by side. He works somethimes outside and still the glossy is not that much different than with the matte.

Hope this helps

Macaddict16
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I saw the glossy MacBook screen and it isn't all that glossy. Compared to some of the Sony laptops with glossy screens it isn't bad at all. I definately recommend the glossy.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I like the glossy.

For color accuracy get another monitor preferably a crt and keep that one calibrated. But for day to day work and movies.

Glossy!

hands down.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    okay thanks, guys. I'll prob go glossy.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Also, I've heard the glossy is a hell of a lot easier to clean than matte. Matte screens always feel like I'm cleaning a blackboard with a dry sponge no matter what cleaning solution. I mean, not literally like that, but I'm always afraid I'm going to scratch it while cleaning. I assume glossy you can just wipe a damp cloth over and any stuff on it will come up fine.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    If you want to use a color calibrator, get the matte. Just for fun I tried my Spyder2Pro on my white MacBook and got a result that looked pinker than a defective 23 inch Apple Cinema Display. I am surviving for now with a D50 setting in the display system preferences, but will redo it in Adobe Gamma when I get around to installing it. But color critical stuff stays on my desktop with my properly profiled monitor. Obviously the glossy finish throws off the calibrator.

The D50 setting in the preferences is far better than the D65. The MacBook's alleged Adobe RGB profile is a joke -- bluer than the D65 or the standard Color LCD -- and even the D50 setting has some problems in that it renders greys with a yellow cast although the whites are appropriately neutral. Another problem with the MacBook glossy display that may repeat itself on the MBP is that the vertical viewing angle is almost zero for color consistency.

It is all a sorry contrast to my TiBook which was very good right out of the box as long as you put it on D50.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    All done and ordered. I went with the glossy. I work in vfx and am an animator so it doesn't really matter that much for colour for me as opposed to the comp guys.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what about if you your windowz side i use primarily black and white, which do you think is better matte or glossy, most laptop computers are matte....correct? aren't the glossy more prone to high reflextion???