hub suggestions for this proposed configuration

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am going to install a TIVO in my home. Rather than downgrade my wireless security to WEP, I was thinking of inserting a hub between my cable modem and my airport express. This way I would plug both the TIVO and the AE into the hub.

Two questions:

1. Can anyone make a recommendation for a cheap hub that would work in this config?

2. Am I going to have any problems with Bittorrent through this config?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    First, go with a switch instead of a hub. They are plenty cheap enough and perform much better than hubs. Your biggest issue will likely be whether your cable modem will assign more than one IP (in other words, is you cable company letting you attach more than one computer directly to their network or not). Some do, some don't. You could still get around this by using another router instead of a switch or hub.

Like this:

The first router will get the only IP address from the cable modem. It will then hand out addresses to the current network and an IP to the second router. Then the second router will hand out a DIFFERENT set of IPs to the tivo and other devices on it's network.

Note: your IP structure might look like this

Code:

First Router:

IP address: assigned by cable modem - example: 192.168.0.2

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway/router address (the cable modem): 192.168.0.1

DHCP server server distributes in the 192.168.0.xxx private range.

Your TIVO router needs to use translated addresses excluded from

this range (Yes, geeks, I know we could mask out subnets, but I'm

trying to be easy on the user, here).

Second Router:

IP address: assigned by First Router - example: 192.168.0.3

Gateway/router address (the First Router):192.168.0.2

DHCP Server hands out addresses in the 10.0.0.xxx range.

Please note that if you are using two wireless networks,

you'll want them to be at opposite endsof the channel

spectrum to prevent interference (such as using

channel 1 and channel 11).

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

First, go with a switch instead of a hub. They are plenty cheap enough and perform much better than hubs. Your biggest issue will likely be whether your cable modem will assign more than one IP (in other words, is you cable company letting you attach more than one computer directly to their network or not). Some do, some don't. You could still get around this by using another router instead of a switch or hub.

Like this:

The first router will get the only IP address from the cable modem. It will then hand out addresses to the current network and an IP to the second router. Then the second router will hand out a DIFFERENT set of IPs to the tivo and other devices on it's network.

Note: your IP structure might look like this

Code:

First Router:

IP address: assigned by cable modem - example: 192.168.0.2

Gateway/router address (the cable modem): 192.168.0.1

DHCP server server distributes in the 192.168.0.xxx private range.

Your TIVO router needs to use translated addresses excluded from

this range (Yes, geeks, I know we could mask out subnets, but I'm

trying to be easy on the user, here).

Second Router:

IP address: assigned by First Router - example: 192.168.0.3

Gateway/router address (the First Router):192.168.0.2

DHCP Server hands out addresses in the 10.0.0.xxx range.

Please note that if you are using two wireless networks,

you'll want them to be at opposite endsof the channel

spectrum to prevent interference (such as using

channel 1 and channel 11).

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much... in fact it does help quite a bit. Regarding the Bittorrent issue: will this configuration require any exotic port forwarding settings to get the traffic through the multiple layers without molestation?

Edit: Maybe I am missing something fundamental here, but why the need for the second router? Shouldn't I just be able to plug two wireless access points (one WPA and one WEP) into the first router?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    RE: Bittorrent:

No problems since the original connection is still the same as far as your Mac is concerned (the flow through the First router). Getting things from the second network into the first network's computer may be a little problematic, but that depends on what all you are trying to do. Internet access for the tivo should be fine, but moving amovie from tivo to the Mac may take some hoop-jumping.

HTH