50 cent in talks with Apple over low-cost computers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

And if they're so crippled that no one else would buy them, why give them to poor people?

well, maybe a computer with 128 MB of ram and a 20 GB hard drive might be crippled by today's memory hog applications... but in some cases a crippled computer is better than no computer at all, if you run the right os and apps.

but yeah, crippled computers ain't good.
  • Reply 22 of 132
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

DING DING DING There's the key. No where does he say he wants to do this, I mean he surely cannot live off of $67 million a year I mean come on I can't even live that cheap ....

Perhaps, if you had bothered to read the whole story, you would be in a position to make more informed comments about 50 Cent's motives and the relationship between him and Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 23 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Perhaps, if you had bothered to read the whole story, you would be in a position to make more informed comments about 50 Cent's motives and the relationship between him and Steve Jobs.

Oh and I did real the whole article there and on streehop news and then on CNET and then on every other website in the country right now. Just because he says one thing doesn't mean he's going to do it. It's my opinion just like you have your opinion, but we'll just wait and see what happens (lips are sealed).
  • Reply 24 of 132
    Am I the only one who sees an Abbott and Costello "Who's on First"-type sketch coming out of this?

C: Wow, look at this computer! What is it?

A: It's a Fitty Cent computer.

C: Great. I'll take it. Here's two quarters, how many pennies do I owe you for sales tax?

A: It costs $99.99.

C: What!? You just said it was a Fitty Cent computer.

(I leave the rest as an exercise for the reader.)

As far as celebrities endorsing social causes are concerned, I'm all for it. Even if you come down on the other side, at least the issued is discussed. Of course, there is a potential downside: people who disagree with the celebrity's view might avoid their works. I didn't go see MI3 because of Tom Cruise's outrageous statements about psychiatry, and I have also completely stopped lip-syncing "Ol' Time Rock n' Roll" in my tighty-whiteys!
  • Reply 25 of 132
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Surely it's better to recycle the computers and gift them to those in need rather than simply sending them to the landfill?
  • Reply 26 of 132
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Perfect place for the ultra portables that loads of us seem to be clammoring for; 12 inch screen, optical drive, and the other essencials for about $500 is doable...

If this doesnt work out, Fiddy should talk to the MIT $100 laptop guys about a stateside version...sounds like a great idea!

GO Fiddy!!!!
  • Reply 27 of 132
    jeff79mjeff79m Posts: 37member
    Even Steve Jobs has been quoted as saying that throwing computers at kids doesn't educate them. It is a tool that can help educate if you can already read and write but is not going to get you out of poverty by itself.

This is about increasing 50cents bottom line and nothing more. No one will call him on it because he is doing it for "the poor kids". Part of the problem with innercities is that lack of positive role models. Look at what has happened to Bill Cosby when he has brought up issues about the innercity...they partically lynched him. If Apple wants to help the best thing they could do is donate computers to a private school that has started up in the innercity in exchange for scholarships for kids to attend. Then the computers could be put to good use and at the same time 50cent could go around promoting education. Of course my guess is he wouldn't do it unless his name gets to be plasted all over it in time for the new record release.
  • Reply 28 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeff79m

Even Steve Jobs has been quoted as saying that throwing computers at kids doesn't educate them. It is a tool that can help educate if you can already read and write but is not going to get you out of poverty by itself.

But lots of poor kids are smart, they can read, spell, do math, and so on; the real problem seems to be that so much focus is given to the net, and tech in general that if they miss out, they may be doomed to a life of poverty for a long time!

In these areas, if there is a home computer it is usually a hand-me-down, full of crap and spyware, or running software that is so old that it is practivally worthless...(can you install Firefox no win95?) A lot of these units could run linux, Fiddy should look into re-purposing older computers, I am sure he could get large companies to give him whatever they are replacing in an update cycle, it is a tax writeoff, and most companies do cycles every 2-3 years so the equipment could easilly handle Ubuntu and OOo!
  • Reply 29 of 132
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Since no one really knows what, if anything is being negotiated here, it's a bit early to be taking stands for or against it.

While I'm convinced that most celebrities support issues only for the publicity they get, or because they, or someone they know, has come down with some ailment, it's useful anyway that they do.

I don't understand his interest here. His statements are somewhat strange. But, if something good comes of it, that's all that matters.

I can't think of what he thinks an inexpensive computer is. And why would Apple produce one if it must cost less than the Mini, unless it's in conjunction with some new model for the schools that will be replacing the eMac. If it is, how cheap could it be?
  • Reply 30 of 132
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

But lots of poor kids are smart, they can read, spell, do math, and so on; the real problem seems to be that so much focus is given to the net, and tech in general that if they miss out, they may be doomed to a life of poverty for a long time!

I have found this to be true. What is most important in life are the personal connections you make and how you use them, DESPITE access to computers and the Net. Technology allows more opportunities, but the people you know can help you maximize those opportunities.
  • Reply 31 of 132
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Are they going to give them high speed Internet access at home, too, so they can do their research at a reasonable speed?

How about insurance to cover the thefts of some of these computers in areas where there is a higher crime rate?

Just how inexpensive is cheap enough? Is $500 cheap enough? How about $200? Poor means different things to different people. At what point will people realize that spending $80 a month for cable TV is a bad deal? Or is it?

What part does social status play in this? No kids I know want to be walking around with the "poor person's" computer. Wal-Mart sells plenty of cheap sneakers, but not to kids.

There are a lot of things besides cost to consider here. We already have seen that folks usually show up for the cheap machines, but then upsell themselves.
  • Reply 32 of 132
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    can you imagine...

MacBook w/50 Cent Limited Edition AppleCare, includes bulletproof vest.

U2 is gonna be so jealous!
  • Reply 33 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

Oh and I did real the whole article there and on streehop news and then on CNET and then on every other website in the country right now. Just because he says one thing doesn't mean he's going to do it. It's my opinion just like you have your opinion, but we'll just wait and see what happens (lips are sealed).

Lacking evidence to support it, you based your opinion on your assumption that 50 Cent will break his word.

Pity.
  • Reply 34 of 132
    My bet is that Apple will resurrect the eMac name for this new Mac. This time, the "e" would stand for "everyone".

As for specs, the new eMac would be based on a "keep it simple" philosophy. Only two configurations would be available, both with Intel Core Solo processors and a built-in 15" glossy widescreen (a la MacBook); however, the higher end eMac would have a SuperDrive. All of the stuff would be included in one box: the eMac, keyboard, and Mighty Mouse.

eMac pricing would be between $599 and $699, while the Mac mini would get a price drop as a result. As for sales, Apple would sell it at Best Buy, Target, and Wal-Mart in addition to Apple stores, as all three also sell iPods.

Personally, I think Apple could pull this one off... especially given the iPod's popularity. The fact that DSL is cheap and readily available now in the urban target markets helps, too.
  • Reply 35 of 132
    Proof apple reads these forums

a couple of weeks ago sunilraman mocked up a 50 cent mac. Now if only sunrilraman could mock up an a4 sized mac tablet with pixel sensors (for scanning documents) with good handwriting recognition, i am sure we well here about it within a couple of weeks.

This was taken from the "Apple developing new Mac for education" thread dated 05-27-2006

scary

Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Mac.E 50cent edition shown:

• Reply 36 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by xUKHCx

Proof apple reads these forums

a couple of weeks ago sunilraman mocked up a 50 cent mac. Now if only sunrilraman could mock up an a4 sized mac tablet with pixel sensors (for scanning documents) with good handwriting recognition, i am sure we well here about it within a couple of weeks.

This was taken from the "Apple developing new Mac for education" thread dated 05-27-2006

scary

No, not apple; probably some of Fiddys people taking the success of the U2 iPod, and one of them could have easilly stumbled into AI via google, saw the post (in which they missed the sarcasic tone) and running with it.
  • Reply 37 of 132
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Lacking evidence to support it, you based your opinion on your assumption that 50 Cent will break his word.

Pity.

I didn't see that. I saw no assumption either way but a statement that he could go back on what he says, and that the actions are what matters, not what he says. I don't track the man, but most people (maybe everyone) lies or breaks their word at least occasionally so it's a valid statement.
  • Reply 38 of 132
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

But lots of poor kids are smart, they can read, spell, do math, and so on;

If they're so smart, how come they picked poor parents? Hmmmm? Paris Hilton didn't need no fancy-pants book-larnin' to make her brilliant choice, did she?
  • Reply 39 of 132
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iNtel iNside

My bet is that Apple will resurrect the eMac name for this new Mac. This time, the "e" would stand for "everyone".

Apple already used that tagline when they first switched the eMac from edu-only to general purpose low-end computer.

I don't see any compelling reason to go with a 15" instead of a 17" LCD display. 17" panels are pretty cheap nowadays.

If Intel is able to stick with their plans to lower pricing on the current Yonah chips in the next few months, then Apple probably can hit those price reduction targets for the Mac mini soon enough.
  • Reply 40 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I didn't see that. ...

None is so blind as he will not see.