Installing Vista Beta 2 on my iMac dual core

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Winblows is 45percent done copying files onto my previous Boot Camp partition. I was surprised the darn thing got this far.

1GB RAM

30GB Windows partition

Edit: increase percentage

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

Winblows is 28% done copying files onto my previous Boot Camp partition. I was surprised the darn thing got this far.

1GB RAM

30GB Windows partition

It will install, but you'll lose your EFI partition in the process.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    What is the effect of losing the efi partition? Sorry, not a BIOS v. EFI expert here. Luckily the machine is for experimentation at this time so the Mac partition is not critical.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

What is the effect of losing the efi partition? Sorry, not a BIOS v. EFI expert here. Luckily the machine is for experimentation at this time so the Mac partition is not critical.

https://blogs.msdn.com/hans_vb/archi...02/614799.aspx
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Thanks! Reading up now.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    good page for info..thanks audiopollution.

We have Beta 2 running on a Thinkpad here at work. Seems decent but not special but I'm biased. It's pretty slow on a laptop with 1GB of RAM (single proc) should be interesting to know how it performs on an iMac Duo Core

Man this year will be the first year in a long time that I get to look forward to a new OS X release and adding Vista on top of that puts me in geek heaven.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    90 percent there.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Okay, here's what I did:

1. I failed to delete the EFI partition before installing Vista. Vista appeared to install just fine but gave me the error mentioned on Hans' blog.

2. Since I'd already waited more than an hour, I figured I would see if there was some way of fixing the install without reinstalling. There was.

3. I rebooted the machine from the Vista DVD; then I acted as if I were installing from scratch again. I deleted the EFI partition, then canceled the install. I then ran the recovery feature, which failed and got stuck in a loop.

4. I rebooted again from the Vista DVD, then used the recovery options. It claimed that it needed to restart iin order to fix the disk. I let it restart and it fixed the disk. It proceeded to boot into Vista and continue the install normally.

5. It then rebooted and Vista launched fine and dandy. Vista said the IndexingService was slowing down my startup, but I could not find it to stop it from running. No prob, though.

6. Aero ran fine, with the processor getting a 4.8 rating, and the rest fo the system not getting below a 3.7. Vista rated the system as a 3 in performance.

7. Without drivers I could not get onto my wireless network, and while the system seemed to work fine, I only got to play one losing game against it's chess game, set up a demanding screensaver and launch MSFT's version of a CPU/memory use widget.

The machine was indeed snappier than OS X. Yes. Really. I'm disappointed in OS X's display performance now. Dammit.

Any questions?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    I got vista running on my dual-core mini. It looks great and all, but I can't find much different from xp. All in all, it was a waste of many hours. It looks great, and is a free version of windows , but it is painfully slow, and just trying to install anything took forever. Maybe it is because I have IG, maybe because I only have 512 MB of ram, but it is sooo slow, I cannot stand it. But the most annoying part of using vista is that it is a total space hog. The base OS took up almost 8 GB of space, and vista seems to grow, after just booting it up and opening the internet, my partition went from 12 GB free (20 GB before vista install) to 11 GB, then after I install Office, it is now at 9 GB. I don't know how Dell will afford to put this in new computers?!

Please excuse me for a poorly written paragraph on all my dislikes of Vista, but that thing is a hog! My nonexistant graphics card scored better than anything else in my system ! How dare it score better than my CoreDuo!?!

Oh well, it is still windows

Noah
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Yes, the Integrated Graphics are a deal-killer in this. My Mac mini core duo with 1 GB RAM could barely play Half-Life 2. The iMac Core Duo played it with no problems under XP.

I'm scared that Apple will be perceived as being SLOW again because of the GUI response slowness when compared to Windows. Please fix this Apple.

Edit: first spelling error :-)
  • Reply 10 of 10
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    what you gotta do is run the boot camp installer and when it extracts all of the stuff to Program Files but before it fails and consequently deletes that folder, copy the folder with all the drivers somewhere else

then just point device manager to that folder and you should be able to get most of your devices working...wireless worked better for me than in xp (in XP it seems to have a 105kb/s limit or something..very strange) although it refused to auto-connect to my router so I had to tell it to everytime I booted..minor annoyance but everything else worked quite well! Just gotta remember to use option or the remote to pick which OS you wanna boot since startup disk can't see the efi partition anymore

17" iMac 1.5gb ram here and it did run quite nicely..just some quirks and annoyances(duh, it's still beta 2) drove me to put xp back on