Install problem on new hd

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have no idea what I need to install my panther 10.3 on a new hd. My original one died a ping pong death and the first disk takes me to the utilities window but I am not sure what I am supposed to do?

I just did an upgrade previously and it installed just fine but since this hd is new I see it is recognized and I have a choice to erase the disk or partition it but its blank?

Do I need a boot disk or something because I thought my panther was an automatic install disk?

Any help please...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    If there's no data on it, why not just erase it?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    xdedxded Posts: 41member
    My recent search has informed me that I VERY IGNORANTLY puchased 10.3, an "upgrade" OS and that I need 9.0 to install this OS. My imac came preinstalled with 9.0 so I have no previous version to install from. Since it is really old technology I have not found an article anywhere about how to install 10.3 on a "new" hd not an upgrade...

I don't know what that will do there is nothing on it to erase. Do they even sell 9.0 anymore? Will I actually have to purchase an old version just to be able to upgrade with this retarded version?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by XdEd

My recent search has informed me that I VERY IGNORANTLY puchased 10.3, an "upgrade" OS and that I need 9.0 to install this OS. My imac came preinstalled with 9.0 so I have no previous version to install from. Since it is really old technology I have not found an article anywhere about how to install 10.3 on a "new" hd not an upgrade...

I don't know what that will do there is nothing on it to erase. Do they even sell 9.0 anymore? Will I actually have to purchase an old version just to be able to upgrade with this retarded version?

You don't need 9. You need a full version of X.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    xdedxded Posts: 41member
    It is amazing posting in this forum...

The few times I have asked for help here, I receive almost no help whatsoever and that drives me to work it out on my own which I nearly always find the solution, eventually.

I found the solution ...

Keep up the great work, its teaching me alot...