Can't play iTunes using "Multiple Speakers" feature

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The "Multiple Speakers" feature does not work for me. I have two Airport Express units in two different rooms. But if I choose to play music from iTunes from either my computer plus one of the Express stations or from both Express stations I always get an error message. I can only play from one speaker location at a time. Any ideas?

Thanks.

John

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    From what I recall you must have an AirPort Extreme in your network to permit multi streaming, but I could be wrong.

I've used multiple AirPort Expresses in two locations with the same PowerBook. In the first location I can stream to both Expresses and play in-sync with Computer Speakers. This location had the AirPort Extreme base station. The second location only had two AirPort Expresses and could not play through multiple systems. All units had the latest firmware.

Anyone else can confirm this behavior? I sorta expected the Multiple Speakers option in location 2. Lucky for me, location 1 is my house so I get the synced up goodness.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    jbaughjbaugh Posts: 28member
    I found the solution posted on several sites. In order for "Multiple Speakers" feature to work, you must either allow UDP traffic under "Advanced" section of the firewall, or you must specifically open UDP ports 6001 and 6002.

I did the latter, opening up UDP ports 6001 and 6002. That did the trick for me.

John
  • Reply 3 of 3
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Hmmm, I wonder what my problem was then. I don't think the PowerBook's firewall was enabled in either case.