eMusic on OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anybody had any experiences using emusic on OS X?

They offer an OS X version of their client. Not sure if it's any good or if it's a UB.

(not sure if this belongs under iPod and iTunes or Applications)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    glyphglyph Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

They offer an OS X version of their client. Not sure if it's any good or if it's a UB.

I've been using emusic for a while. The few issues I have is their limited catalog, plus, you'll download a file thinking you're gonna get music from the original artist, only to be dissapointed that it is some tribute version - so reading the reviews helps in that reguard. I found alot of nice music that I wouldn't have heard otherwise and for .25 cents a download you can't beat it. It's in mp3 format so making cd's, playing your music in your ipod, ect. isn't a problem - no digital restrictions.

You don't have to use their downloader either. You can download with your browser if you want.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    I tried it and I also was not impressed with the selection and I looked hard for songs I liked, but the bit rates for the songs I bought are between 166 and 224. If they had the selection iTunes Music Store has I would buy from eMusic instead.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

The client works fine. eMusic is focused on indie music, so if you are just looking for top 40 stuff, it's not so hot. But I love the music they have there and if you join, I'm DJ Adequate there are well.

I don't think the application is UB yet, but it works fine on my Macbook pro. It doesn't really do much except que downloads and let you choose how you want the files named. The VBR Mp3's they deliver are slightly higher quality than iTunes.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

The client works fine. eMusic is focused on indie music, so if you are just looking for top 40 stuff, it's not so hot. But I love the music they have there and if you join, I'm DJ Adequate there are well.

I don't think the application is UB yet, but it works fine on my Macbook pro. It doesn't really do much except que downloads and let you choose how you want the files named. The VBR Mp3's they deliver are slightly higher quality than iTunes.

Can you preview the track, or do you have to download it and thus use up one of your monthly downloads before you can listen to it?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Can you preview the track, or do you have to download it and thus use up one of your monthly downloads before you can listen to it?

They give you 30 second streaming previews, much like iTunes. To here anymore you have to use up a download. There is a pretty good community on the message boards that's good for getting info, and they usually post one or two free tracks a week.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

Don't forget eMusic lets you download mp3 files. So you don't have to worry what can play it, whether your computer will lose activation, etc.

I noticed Best Buy has started carrying eMusic cards so you can buy a bunch of downloads for $10-15. I hear eMusic is great for jazz so I might pick up one of those cards and give eMusic a spin.

I'm all for no DRM which is why I'd rather pay more to buy a CD then rip at 256-320kbps vs. a $9.99 128kbps iTMS download.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    biederbieder Posts: 15member
    I've been using eMusic for about 2 years on a mac and had no problems. The download client is not an universal binary, but works fine through rosetta.