Just off Drudgereport

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3.htm

what's it mean? I'll look for more tech-oriented site

edit: on yahoo news found this...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060620/tc_nm/ibm_dc_1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    That's super cool (or rather, super HOT!)

However, let's not take everything at face value:

Quote:

IBM has built a transistor that runs about 100 times faster than current chips

Quote:

That speed was hit only when IBM researchers, working with counterparts from the Georgia Institute of Technology, cooled the transistor to near absolute zero, but Meyerson said the device still ran at 300 gigahertz at room temperature.

Clay Ryder, president of Sageza Group, a technology market research firm, said the breakthrough should lead to faster processors, but ones that will run far below the top speed demonstrated by IBM.

That's one transistor, that runs at 300 Ghz at room temperature. Pack a few billion in that package, and you'll need a Niagra Falls to cool it off.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Yea that is a interesting read...however I think Apple has washed its hands with IBM for now...IBM is a good chip maker and I wish they would have put more stock into desktops etc, however they are just tooo damn hot!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    should something crazy come along....they do call them UNIVERSAL binaries for a reason!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

should something crazy come along....they do call them UNIVERSAL binaries for a reason!

True! If Apple is smart, they should continue to produce every app, OS, etc.. as universals, indefinately..Cause you never know who may come up with something amazing, like you said.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    Don't get too excited, it's an impressive yet incremental result.

I did a search using "IBM Chips SiGe record" on Google and got a couple of interesting hits on the very first page.[list=1][*]Feb, 2002 IBM releases 110GHz SiGe telecom chips topping the then current 80GHz chips.

[*] Aug, 2005 IBM gives silicon germanium chips a speed boost to 200 GHz[/list=1]You can also read the WikiPedia article on SiGe which talks about this technology being suited for mixed and analog analog circuits ICs with broadband, optical, and wireless applications. Intel has been using this technology as well for a couple of years perhaps for 802.11 support in their chipsets.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    at -450degrees i guess it doesn't need a fan

instead of frying your nads with a laptop, you can then freeze your sperm at the same time...hey sounds like a family planning technique.

hey...does it run windows , can it run parallels
  • Reply 7 of 9
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    Too bad Apple can't buy IBM and keep this technology exclusively for themselves.

As well, I wonder if this news might change Apple's mind about the upcoming Mac Pro. Hopefully Apple gets smart and takes advantage of this when it becomes available.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by trtam

Too bad Apple can't buy IBM and keep this technology exclusively for themselves.

As well, I wonder if this news might change Apple's mind about the upcoming Mac Pro. Hopefully Apple gets smart and takes advantage of this when it becomes available.

Well, like I mentioned earlier, Apple should keep all of its apps/ OS's from now on universal idefinately, just incase the competitor makes something great.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trtam

Dude, this technology won't be used in consumer electronics for a VERY long time, if ever. Do you know what they had to do to get it to that speed? They had to put it (a single transistor) in a container and redude the heat to almost absolute zero (I believe it was 4.5 K). How do you expect them to do that in consumer electronics? That's right, not gonna happen. Besides, this was *one* transistor. How hot do you think it would get with billions packed onto a chip?