Can MacBook Drive a 30" Apple Display?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    No. And, no offense, but the Design and Tech Specs pages make this quite clear, too.

Quote:

[..] either a stunning 20- or 23-inch Apple Cinema Display

Quote:

[..] up to 1920 x 1200 pixels on an external display

• Reply 2 of 9
    Oh well...

Is it cause the Native Resolution of the 30 Incher is too high for the MacBook?

It runs on my SVGA monitor rather nicely via a MiniDVI to VGA adapter...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

Oh well...

Is it cause the Native Resolution of the 30 Incher is too high for the MacBook?

It runs on my SVGA monitor rather nicely via a MiniDVI to VGA adapter...

Yep, it has to do with the resolution. The DVI port doesn't have enough bandwidth to transmit 2560x1600 worth of pixels fast enough. The MacBook Pro, instead, has a dual-link DVI port, with higher bandwidth.

So, it's not a limitation of the graphics card in the MacBook, or of the RAM or anything, but of the connector.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Contrary to popular belief, the Apple 30" Cinema HD Display can be driven by any system with a DVI port ? I know, I have one.

You will only be able to drive it at a resolution of 1280 x 800px however, but it will work fine. This resolution is fine for watching DVDs, playing PC games, using Front Row etc.

It seems a shame to run the 30"er at this resolution, but it can be done!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Contrary to popular belief, the Apple 30" Cinema HD Display can be driven by any system with a DVI port ? I know, I have one.

You will only be able to drive it at a resolution of 1280 x 800px however, but it will work fine. This resolution is fine for watching DVDs, playing PC games, using Front Row etc.

It seems a shame to run the 30"er at this resolution, but it can be done!

But nobody's going to buy a $2500 screen whose main selling point is its insanely resolution just to drive it with a quarter of said resolution. The 30-inch ACD is not a high-quality plasma TV; it's a graphics pro display.

It can be done, but who the fuck would waste the money on that?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I completely agree, it is a waste of money to drive the 30"er at that resolution ? but it can be done.

A while back I was left with a PC and no space for a second monitor. I was advised at that time that my existing 30"er couldn't be driven by the PC.

I was about to fork out for another 23"er when I discovered that the 30"er can be driven by any DVI graphics card, albeit at a reduced resolution.

Sorry if I'm being an anal geek!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Sorry if I'm being an anal geek!

Ditto.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Messiah, I have to ask: Why the hell do you have so many Macs and iPods, and why do you feel it necessary to list them all in your sig?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I'm slowly building up enough kit to run my own design studio.

The sig. started out with a couple of machines and then grew out of control! I probably have kit that isn't even on there.

Don't get my wife started about 'the boxes'.