Briefly: MacBook, 60GB iPod resets, iPhoto

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Market sources in China say Apple will sell 2.3 million MacBooks during the 2006 calendar year. Meanwhile, Apple is acknowledging a problem with some 60GB video iPods. And iPhoto 6.0.4 arrives with new seasonal themes.

2.3 million MacBooks this year?

Apple's two primary notebook manufacturers -- Asustek and Quanta -- are expected to benefit from strong shipments of Apple's MacBook lines this year, Apple Daily is reporting.

Citing market sources, the Chinese newspaper said shipments of MacBooks are expected to total 500,000 units in the second calendar quarter and accelerate to 300,000 units per month in the third quarter.

For the entire 2006 calendar year, Apple's MacBook shipments are expected to hit 2.3 million units, the paper added.

Randomly resetting 60GB fifth-generation iPods

Apple is acknowledging internally and through its network of service providers that some 60GB fifth-generation video iPods may be plagued by random resets during normal use.

Affected players may either freeze or reset randomly while users are listening to music, watching a video or navigating through menus, the company told its service providers and AppleCare support reps.

Apple said the issue is limited to 60GB video iPods manufactured before production week 550 (or serial numbers xx550xxxxxx and prior.)

AppleCare reps are being told to direct callers reporting the issue to an Apple Retail store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for diagnostics tests.

Technicians will then run an SD RAM test to determine whether the player is in need of a repair or a simple software restore.

Apple updates iPhoto with more eye candy

Apple on Tuesday afternoon released iPhoto 6.0.4 (35MB), a minor update to its digital photo cataloging software.

The update contains a variety of new Greeting Card and Postcard themes for use with Apple print services, including invite and thank you card designs for summer parties, weddings, birthdays, and so forth.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'm curious about the quality of the greeting cards and the books that can be ordered through iPhoto. Has anyone tried it...?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    tb6387tb6387 Posts: 59member
    Although it is a bit off topic, my girlfriend just ordered a greeting card off of iPhoto and I think it looks very professional. It is much better than anything you could make at Kinkos, etc. plus you get to create it all from the comfort of your home.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Ive ordered the books before and have been very happy. I have given the for gifts numerous times and everyone loves them. I even ordred one as an additional wedding album for me and my wife and it ended up being the one we show eveyrone. I think they look great!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Does anyone know which factory code on the SN# is for Asus and which is Quanta? I'd be interested to know which company made my MacBook.

Asustek makes the MacBooks and Quanta the MacBook Pro's IIRC.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    stephendstephend Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

I'm curious about the quality of the greeting cards and the books that can be ordered through iPhoto. Has anyone tried it...?

I've had mixed experiences. The books from iPhoto 5 are nice but, to my eyes, the quality is slightly disappointing. I don't think the resolution is quite up to the standards I was expecting. (A more thorough explanation on my website.)

I was happier with the quality of iPhoto 6 cards however it took a ridiculously long time to arrive (full story on my website).

I would certainly get a book again but when I needed to order 50 cards last month I went elsewhere.

HTH,

--> Stephen
  • Reply 6 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I know that my 60GB 5G often resets or does a full "boot" whenever I haven't used it for a while. My 2G and 4G never did that. It seems to work normally otherwise, but I do find it a bit odd.

In fact, it just did it when I was turning it on to get the SN (which is 612).
  • Reply 7 of 11
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I know that my 60GB 5G often resets or does a full "boot" whenever I haven't used it for a while. My 2G and 4G never did that. It seems to work normally otherwise, but I do find it a bit odd.

In fact, it just did it when I was turning it on to get the SN (which is 612).

I think this is what Apple calls "sleep" ... my 30GB 5th gen and my brother's 2GB nano do the same thing. It's not restarting ... it's counter-intuitive though since the Apple logo comes up making you think it has restarted. My brother took his to an Apple store and showed them the problem and they said it was normal behavior ... some sort of battery conservation measure.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by afalkner

Ive ordered the books before and have been very happy. I have given the for gifts numerous times and everyone loves them. I even ordred one as an additional wedding album for me and my wife and it ended up being the one we show eveyrone. I think they look great!

I've thought about getting a small run of the books for presentation purposes. It would look much more professional than a 3-ring binder.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    I wonder how many MacBooks they'd sell if they didn't moo, scratch, turn orange, or melt from heat?!

Well, that's what they're all reported to do.

I shouldn't troll though, because as a proud owner of a souped up black MacBook - I added a 7200rpm Seagate Momentus and 2GB of RAM and it screams in speed - it's one of the best laptops I've ever had (and I've had more than most).

It's unfortunately that with all the attention Apple products get, their slight and often isolated flaws are magnified out of proportion.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    It seems like this whole Macbook "is mooing, turning yellow, is melting" might be blown out of proportion. I've I have a white 13" 2Ghz Macbook (with 2GB that I installed) and I haven't encountered any problems. Tho other friends also have white MB and they too haven't encountered any problems.