3rd 30" Cinema Display giving me jipp.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Much to my dismay my 2nd replacement 30"er started to exhibit 'dancing green pixels' yesterday morning. This is my 3rd display in total.

Interestingly, when I phoned up Apple tech support, and gave them the serial number for the 3rd display, the tech on the phone was confused because the display was manufactured in October 2004, and the previous owners case notes appeared on the screen.

So it seems as though you pay £1800 ($3312) dollars and end up with an second hand, 18 month old display that was giving the previous owner jipp as well.

I hoping that the UK Sale of Goods Act will entitle me to a full refund.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Did you buy it off Ebay or off Apple?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I bought it from the website of an authorised dealer in London about six or seven months ago.

I believe that the first display was new, but it seems as though it had been sitting on the shelf for some time (about six months).

The second and third displays were both second hand refurbished units. I immediately rejected the second display because it had a serious scratch across the bezel and the screen itself, and the button strip on the right hand edge of the screen was hanging off.

It turns out the third display was owned by some guy in Switzerland. Sounds like it was refurbished and then punted out to me. It was manufactured in October 2004, making it 20 months and one owner old by the time I got it.

Maybe it's just me, but if you're dropping that amount of money on a display you want it be new and to work properly.

I spoke to Apple again today, and it sounds as though they're going to make good. I've actually been quite impressed with professionalism on the support side of things. I'm hoping for a full-cash refund or a credit note for the Apple Store.

I should find out what's going on tomorrow. Fingers crossed...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    If you got one of the older ones - aren't you stuck with the 400 something rather contrast rather than the new updated 700 contrast something rather?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    That's the problem with Apple support in the UK - they can be so good, but so often aren't.

The couple of times I've needed them, they have always been unsatisfactory until the point you get irritated, shout, and ask for the manager. Once you finally bypass your case to 'executive relations' they are excellent, and only then do they really have the power to replace machines, send loan units etc... I just don't know why they couldn't keep that standard across the board.

David
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

If you got one of the older ones - aren't you stuck with the 400 something rather contrast rather than the new updated 700 contrast something rather?

Jeez, I didn't realise they'd upped the spec again!

I've kind of given up on the 30"er. With three screens in six months I doubt I'll be accepting another one.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMacfan

That's the problem with Apple support in the UK - they can be so good, but so often aren't.

The couple of times I've needed them, they have always been unsatisfactory until the point you get irritated, shout, and ask for the manager. Once you finally bypass your case to 'executive relations' they are excellent, and only then do they really have the power to replace machines, send loan units etc... I just don't know why they couldn't keep that standard across the board.

David

So true of every call centre. It's the Banks that get my goat every time.