Using laptop with lid closed

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I would like to keep my MacBook Pro on during the day while I'm at work to get my email. Anyway, even though I've set the configuration to not go to sleep when plugged in, it still sleeps when I close the lid. An article in the Help says...

"To use the computer with the lid closed, you must connect it to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse."

Is this true??? Not to say that the help is lying or anything, but when I say I want to "use" the laptop, I mean I have Mail set to check for email every 15 minutes. If I close the lid, and it goes to sleep, do all processes stop? Is there nothing to do to stop it from sleeping when the lid is closed and no monitor, mouse or keyboard is attached?

-DJ

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Yes, it's true. I believe there was/is a kernel extension to change this behaviour.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hanenthanent Posts: 19member
    there's nothing you can do to keep it running with the lid closed..and that's it!!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Yes its true, at least it was with the Powerbooks.

You can download a utility called "Sleepless." It's shareware, and it allows you to run the laptop with the lid closed provided you have it plugged in. I use it all the time when playing music, bittorrenting, etc.

I don't know if its been optimized for intel yet...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Why not just wait until you get home to check your e-mail?

When I had a laptop, I just left the machine slightly open.

It's probably best to do that in the interests of heat dissipation, especially for a MBP.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    If you close the cover - even in sleep - the MacBook get's roasting.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Why not just wait until you get home to check your e-mail?

My ISP only allows me 10MB of mail space. I get a lot of email, some with large attachments. I like to have my email downloaded to my computer so my mailbox doesn't get full and start bouncing mail. I'll probably just leave it open like you said.

Quote:

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

If you close the cover - even in sleep - the MacBook get's roasting.

I've never had the heat problems that a lot of people have been reporting with the MacBook Pro. It gets a bit toasty when sitting on my lap without being plugged in, but never "hot". And when sleeping, it's totally cool to the touch. Of course, now that I think of it, it's always sleeping either on a granite countertop or glass table. Guess that helps.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    In any instance my advice would be to get a real email account.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

In any instance my advice would be to get a real email account.

Wow, all these years and I never would have known that I needed a real email account if I hadn't bought my MacBook. Thanks, that's very helpful. Must be why they call this the Genius Bar.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by dac0nvu

Wow, all these years and I never would have known that I needed a real email account if I hadn't bought my MacBook. Thanks, that's very helpful. Must be why they call this the Genius Bar.

, I can understand your reaction but he has a point. Even Yahoo gives you 1GB of mail space these days and for a fee they give you POP access. You can probably forward any emails immediately from your old account to your new one and let your old account delete emails as it pleases.

It has the advantages that you can put your laptop to sleep, you will never miss an email (if two people send a 5MB+ email within 10mins, you will lose one of them right?), it improves security as your machine doesn't need to be online when you're not around.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Gmail does POP for free, and gives you 2.5GB.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

Yes its true, at least it was with the Powerbooks.

You can download a utility called "Sleepless." It's shareware, and it allows you to run the laptop with the lid closed provided you have it plugged in. I use it all the time when playing music, bittorrenting, etc.

I don't know if its been optimized for intel yet...

Well, I tried that Sleepless thing and it works like a charm on my MacBook!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Hey if you want PM your current email address and i will send you an invitation for Gmail, its great and you'll never have to empty your inbox.