Automatically mounting network volume

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Got my first Mac which I *LOVE*! About the only thing I'm using my former PC for is backing up my Mac stuff. I'm connecting to my home network and can mount a PC drive on the Mac, but I'm wondering if there is a way to automatically have the Mac mount this drive automatically every time I boot up? My backups happen automatically and if I forget to mount the drive, it sits there and waits.

Tried searching the help files but I don't know if I'm using the right keywords...i.e. "mount", "map network drive". Spent most of my career on PCs and that's what I'm used to.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DJ

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I searched and searched for this answer, and then I found it here as well.

It is actually quite simple.

Open up System Preferences... and go to Accounts

In there, click your user account and click on the Login Items

Now, here comes the fun part. Do you have your drive already mounted? You do? Good! Click on the + button. Now, in that Dialog box, click on the Applications pull down (or whatever is in that pull down at the top of the dialog box), and select your computer, NOT your Hard Disk. Good, now while in there, Click on the drive you want to automatically mount. Then press Add.

That is it, you are done!!

And if you saved the password in your keychain access, then it will automatically mount the share when you login. It works great. I have my machine mount two shares on my Linux box anytime I start-up my machine.

Hope this helps!!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Thanks Mike! I'll give it a try this afternoon.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    zoczoc Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

Now, here comes the fun part. Do you have your drive already mounted? You do? Good! Click on the + button. Now, in that Dialog box, click on the Applications pull down (or whatever is in that pull down at the top of the dialog box), and select your computer, NOT your Hard Disk. Good, now while in there, Click on the drive you want to automatically mount. Then press Add

Similar solution but easyer : Drag and Drop the volume icon from the desktop to the list of items started at login (no need to press + and then find the volume icon)
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zoc

Similar solution but easyer : Drag and Drop the volume icon from the desktop to the list of items started at login (no need to press + and then find the volume icon)

As you can see, as with most Mac solutions, there are more than one simple and easy solution to any (sometimes) complex problem.

God, I love being on a Mac!!!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Worked like a charm! Thanks everyone.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

As you can see, as with most Mac solutions, there are more than one simple and easy solution to any (sometimes) complex problem.

God, I love being on a Mac!!!

yeah, but most of them may be simple but NOT OBVIOUS. That's a frustrating thing about Macs.

example: I use spotlight to find a file. I don't want the file necessarily, but want to know where it is and open the folder where it is....can't do that from the dang dropdown now can i? even when I 'show all'...doesn't show where the stupid thing is. I have to finally right click on the item and 'reveal in finder'.

three steps for a simple thing. why not a freakin right click context menu RIGHT FROM THE START? half of everything else has a right click...BUT NOT EVERYTHING...sigh.

so in that case the solution to a simple problem was a complex set of events put together for no apparant reason.

and to stay on topic, that same thing in windows is blatantly obvious.

In ANY folder Tools, Map Network Drive. check the stupid reconnect on login. done.

and i love my mac but it IS NOT BEST at everything.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

yeah, but most of them may be simple but NOT OBVIOUS. That's a frustrating thing about Macs.

example: I use spotlight to find a file. I don't want the file necessarily, but want to know where it is and open the folder where it is....can't do that from the dang dropdown now can i? even when I 'show all'...doesn't show where the stupid thing is. I have to finally right click on the item and 'reveal in finder'._

In the list, hold the command key while selecting the item, either with the mouse or by hitting enter. The enclosing folder will open.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Just noticed something weird though. Anyone else experiencing this?

Now that I have the volume in my Login Items list, I clicked the "Hide" checkbox. The text below the list says:

Quote:

"To hide an application when you log in, click its Hide checkbox."

Just to make sure, I also checked the help file. It says
    Quote:

"Click the hide checkbox next to an application if you don't want a window for the application to open."

Pretty straight forward, right? Well, it simply doesn't work. Every time I log in, the volume is mounted and a Finder window opens with the volume highlighted!!! Is there something I'm not getting?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dac0nvu

Just noticed something weird though. Anyone else experiencing this?

Now that I have the volume in my Login Items list, I clicked the "Hide" checkbox. The text below the list says:

Just to make sure, I also checked the help file. It says Pretty straight forward, right? Well, it simply doesn't work. Every time I log in, the volume is mounted and a Finder window opens with the volume highlighted!!! Is there something I'm not getting?

Yup, it says APPLICATION window, this is a share, more specifically, a finder document. What hide does is it performs a hide command on that application just like if you had right clicked on the dock icon and hit hide or option clicked outside of the application window. In this case no application is opened so there is nothing to hide.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

Yup, it says APPLICATION window, this is a share, more specifically, a finder document. What hide does is it performs a hide command on that application just like if you had right clicked on the dock icon and hit hide or option clicked outside of the application window. In this case no application is opened so there is nothing to hide.

OK, thanks for the clarification. But is there anyway to suppress this finder window that opens up every time?...(that I just close every time?)
  • Reply 11 of 11
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dac0nvu

OK, thanks for the clarification. But is there anyway to suppress this finder window that opens up every time?...(that I just close every time?)

I don't know if there is an easier way (the behavior you want is oddly specific) but you can go into Script Editor and type the following script:

Code:

tell application "Finder"

activate

close Finder window 1

end tell

Save this script as an application and put it in your login items right after the network share.