New Leopard Screens

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Bad ass.

Link

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    There's some strange anomalies; for example, the about box lists DDR RAM, whereas all Intel Macs come with DDR2 RAM.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    What's more interesting (if no hoax) are the tabbed Finder windows. We also see darker window colors and an icon that suggests a merger of Address Book and iCal.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Also Internet Explorer seems to be the Windows version. Does the Jan 14 date on the address book suggest the release date?
  • Reply 4 of 36
    hanenthanent Posts: 19member
    Very convincing..if it's a hoax then you certainly fooled me!!

I'm hoping this is not a hoax, cause I love it!!
  • Reply 5 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'm hoping this isn't a hoax because the metal has finally stopped looking ugly in that screenshot.

But I really sort of worry, what will make developers want to develop for Mac when it's this easy to run Windows programs?

Now for the details: I spy with my little eye a Boot Camp-related menubar item, what seems to be a menubar item performing the same task as the number-switcher 1-2 on the screen, and a new drop-down menu next to the Actions button on the Finder window, probably just a path hierarchy that drops down but regrouped.

Nice folder-bookmarks, I bet they drop down to be a browsable folder hierarchy.

And, of course, tabbed finder. I wonder when they'll just group Finder and Safari together, yeesh. (yeah, sounds familiar)
  • Reply 6 of 36
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    Its a fake simply because as others have pointed out that it's a desktop background.

I really think the idea of basically making the finder into a "surf your hard drive like you surf the web" kinda deal. Tabs for quick folder access, bookmark certain key points on your drive.

Maybe it could go a step further and really integrate with iWeb!

Example: Create finder pages for you hard drive that will render like any other webpage but are just a new way to interact and see your documents. Thus allowing you to truly theme you finder. Just write a webpage in iWeb!

http://oregonstate.edu/~dowdyg/Other/iWebFinder.jpg
  • Reply 7 of 36
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    That Finder window looks like Pathfinder 4 with the Uno Shade theme applied.

I'm dubious.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    We don't know exactly what that morph-through-the-center function is, so we can't really judge whether the menubar and dock should be affected by it.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

But I really sort of worry, what will make developers want to develop for Mac when it's this easy to run Windows programs?

The availability of sophisticated frameworks such as Growl and Sparkle, for one.

I'm inclined to agree, though, that the risk is too high. Cf. OS/2.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    I will believe this is real. What I would have liked to have seen is a Windows app that had focus so I could see what Apple's menu bar looks like. Does the apple turn into a window? Will menu items show on the menu bar or will just the name of the application show along with the OS in brackets like:

Microsoft Access 2003 [Windows XP Home SP2]

If just the name shows will we at least get a "Quit [App Name]" and maybe the Hide [App Name]/Hide Others/Show All group?
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

The availability of sophisticated frameworks such as Growl and Sparkle, for one.

Actually, OS/2 died out because of it's price. By the time OS/2 finally got around to supporting Windows apps, it was already pretty much dead.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Yeah, Growl just turns it all around.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

We don't know exactly what that morph-through-the-center function is, so we can't really judge whether the menubar and dock should be affected by it.

It seems to suggest a transition between multiple desktops. At least that was my impression.

If that is the case, I would think the dock and menubar don't necessarily need to be affected by the animation.

That's not to say, however, that I'm throwing my hat in with the "it's real" crowd.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

Yeah, Growl just turns it all around.

Well, obviously! You could write the shittiest piece of word processing, refuse to adhere to any standards, come up with a buggy parser for a terribly-designed proprietary, binary and closed format, and piss off all your customersÂ?

Â?but if only you added notification support with helpful notices Ã* la "You just finished writing another sentence", your software would sell like hotcakes.

Obviously.

• Reply 15 of 36
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I'd pay $129 just to have no f%$#ing brushed metal!
  • Reply 16 of 36
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

I'd pay $129 just to have no f%$#ing brushed metal!

Unsanity's Shapeshifter won't do that? (I don't have it but assume it must.) Could save you $109....

I'm calling foul on the screenshots.

--B
  • Reply 17 of 36
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    It's fake 'cuz Apple would never merge iCal and Address Book.

It's fake 'cuz there's no way to resize the sidebar in the Finder (or at least not grab handles...this would be very un-Apple like).

It's fake because Core Duos only take DDR2.

It's fake because Apple never puts the version number on dev builds until RC.

Tabs in the Finder? Gimme a break.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    If this really was Leopard it would show any number of interesting or exciting things that Apple is putting into it that we have heard nothing about.

Instead, they are showing 3 of the most common "I WISH APPLE WOULD . . ." requests people whine about all the time.

If Apple is really going to 'fix' the Finder - we'll see it.

Adding tabs and favorites does nothing for the issues or really improving how we interact with it.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Fake because Apple Legal hasn't taken them down.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The icon of the alleged iCal/Address Book unified app keeps the big "@" symbol of address book, which relegates the "todays date" display of the iCal icon to a tiny tiny unreadable font at the bottom-- which completely eliminates any advantage of having the current date on the dock icon in the first place.

It's a trivial thing, but there is simply no way Apple would do this-- indeed, there is no reason for anyone to do this, unless that someone was mocking up a screenshot and they wanted to make it clear that a rumored merged app was one of the "new things".