Macbook Black Format??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I don't know much about mac's yet, as some of you know.

But something happend on here, that I have no clue what. But I am wanting to re-format my harddrive, because everything all of a sudden runs really slow.

My boot time takes like 2-3 minutes all of a sudden. And it has been all since I installed parallels.. but since then I uninstalled it, and the other day when I booted up, everything I ever downloaded is gone pretty much. So I just want to re-format. can somebody tell me how to do it on here please!?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    You can reformat the book using the system disks that came with it. Throw away everything on the HD except the system folder (back up things you want to save on to a blank CD) and then empty the trash.

Reboot using the system disks (restart the computer with System Disk 1 in the drive & hold down the letter C as the computer restarts) and follow the directions for reinstalling the OS. Somewhere in the menu of choices you should be given the option to install a brand new System folder. Choose that option. Once the new System is installed and you restart you?ll see a Previous System folder in addition to the new one. You can then throw away and delete the Previous System Folder. Your Macbook will again be as if you just took it out of the box.

btw, how much memory do you have? You shouldn't be trying to run parallels unless you have maxed out the Macbook to 2gigs of RAM.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mr.klawzmr.klawz Posts: 30member
    That's not actually formating though is it? That's just deleteing anything and everything and then reinstalling it?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    majortommajortom Posts: 33member
    Chek out if the "YourHD"->Library->StartupItems->Parallels folder has been deleted by the uninstaller. If not, do it manually. That's the only thing can give you problems. Try this before resetting everything.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    Quote:

when I booted up, everything I ever downloaded is gone pretty much

This happened to me on a PowerBook G4 1.33 GHz almost a year back. Still to this day I do not know what caused it. I had left my computer on sleep, resting on the kitchen table (wood), while I watched some TV, and when I came back, everything was gone! It just woke up from sleep as if I had just taken it right out of the box.

Anyways, on to your format question. There really is no need to 'format'. Simply reinstalling will make you system the way it was when you took it out of the box.

To reinstall all you need to do is:

1) Put the install disc (1) in the drive, open its icon on the desktop, and choose 'Reinstall Mac OS X'.

2) Your computer will reboot into the installer, choose next, accept, or whetever else it throws at you.

3) On the page where you choose the install location, choose your internal drive.

4) Choose next, install or whatever else the installer asks for for you to get through it.

5) Give it a good 30-45 minutes and it should be as if it had just been taken out of the box.

Good Luck!

There may be other ways around your problem, and as someone mentioned, if you just dragged the Parallels.app icon to the trash, there could be files left over from the application. So try removing these, I would recommend App Zapper to uninstall programs in the future, as it searches your HD for connected files, and allows you to choose which of them you want to delete.

Anyways, good luck on whatever you do

Noah
  • Reply 5 of 9
    boot from your OS disk that came with the computer, Once it loads up you can access disk utilities from one of the menus at the top of the screen. You can format the drive from within there.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.Klawz

I don't know much about mac's yet, as some of you know.

But something happend on here, that I have no clue what. But I am wanting to re-format my harddrive, because everything all of a sudden runs really slow.

My boot time takes like 2-3 minutes all of a sudden. And it has been all since I installed parallels.. but since then I uninstalled it, and the other day when I booted up, everything I ever downloaded is gone pretty much. So I just want to re-format. can somebody tell me how to do it on here please!?

on reading this its not clear (at least to me) if you are talking about boot time in Mac OSX or boot time in windows.

i have no experiance of parallels, but clarity always helps
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mr.klawzmr.klawz Posts: 30member
    I got it too work.

Just poped it in and held down C, installed macosx. But I don't think that actually formated it, at least I don't think so.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    kexkex Posts: 2member
    hey! ive just found myself a macbook at the metro its a macbook a-1181 ive been trying to use it but it requires to introduce an Authenticate password it says: You must aunthenticate to unlock the screen. Mac OS X Requires that you tipe your password. ive never use a Mac so dont know how to rebootthis device xD......

ill thank so much to who send me some information.

PM me.

KeX
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Maybe you shouldn't steal?