from a G4 466 CPU to a G4 933 CPU

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hey i have a G4 466 and i would like to get a (cheap) QS G4 933 and swap the CPU's

so i would have a DA with a 933 and a QS with a 466

can i do this?? will the CPUs fit in the hole?? will the heatsink fit a well??

please dont ask why, im crazy

thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Why would you want to switch processors? I didnt know they made a 466 are you refering to the 450? If you are then your bus is 100MHz and you wont have a 933 anymore....

[ 08-16-2002: Message edited by: Mount_my_floppy ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 14
    noexitnoexit Posts: 20member
    the 466 was the low end when the DA's 1st came out, and its on a 133MHz bus...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Hmm didnt know that, Not sure if it will work though. Let me know what happens if you try it I want to swap my processor modual with a dual 1GHz but not sure what will happen...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    some just has to know!!

i know you can do it with 2 DA's but i would like to have 933MHz
  • Reply 5 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by NoExit:

<strong>some just has to know!!

i know you can do it with 2 DA's but i would like to have 933MHz</strong><hr></blockquote>

Anyone know where I can get a cheap 933? ClubMac had a few for $1449 but the website says its not there anymore.

I'd pick one up for that much. I'd get either a 933 or a Dual 800 machine. Anyone got one for sale?

PM me if you wish.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    <a href="http://www.dealmac.com"; target="_blank">check here</a> for possibilities
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Do you think if I ask the genius at the Apple store they will tell me if its possible? I tried to ask some guy at compUSA and he gave me some stuff about sonnet and upgrade cards so I just gave up
  • Reply 8 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy:

<strong>Do you think if I ask the genius at the Apple store they will tell me if its possible? I tried to ask some guy at compUSA and he gave me some stuff about sonnet and upgrade cards so I just gave up</strong><hr></blockquote>

It is possible, and if you were to take the 933 and plug it into the 466 MLB you would have a much faster machine. The Heatsink attaches directly to the processor daughtercard , but i belive that the 933s also had a fan attached to the Heatsink - and if i'm not mistaken the other end of the fan connected to the back of the case - so you may have some problems there. The guy at compUSA was acctually being prudent in suggesting you buy from a 3rd party upgrade vendor.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Look <a href="http://www.powerlogix.com/products2/pfg4133/index.html"; target="_blank">HERE</a>
  • Reply 10 of 14
    yea i know about the upgrade cards, but for a little more $$ i could get a new comp and give the slower one to my little bro, and the only thing i whant to change on my comp is the CPU, every thing else i whant the same.

i could allways get a PC fan..

thanks guys!!
  • Reply 11 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by NoExit:

<strong>yea i know about the upgrade cards, but for a little more $$ i could get a new comp and give the slower one to my little bro, and the only thing i whant to change on my comp is the CPU, every thing else i whant the same.

i could allways get a PC fan..

thanks guys!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

new CPUs are gonna be pricey no matter where you get them from, I'd say just get the new comp, you could probably find a good deal on a 933 right about now...
  • Reply 12 of 14
    well actually wanted to swap a dual 1GHz with my 533DP
  • Reply 13 of 14
    it shoud work right ?? i mean its the same mobo and all...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    well it worked with the old G4s with 100MHz buss...

<a href="http://www.AccelerateYourMac.com/G4ZONE/G4_dual_processor_swap/Dual_G4_page1.html"; target="_blank">here</a>