Official World Cup Thread

Comments

• Reply 261 of 528
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lucianok

Tres idiomas no te dieron la educacion minima para dirigirte a una persona.

Mirate en el espejo, porque fuistes vos quien se dirigió a mi en privado. Te faltó el factor H. Ya no se diga el factor inteligencia. Si no te importa, I'm going to speak English from now on.
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

Holland v Portugal - most excitement I've ever seen in a game. Love it. 16 Yellow Cards - 4 Red. Unbelievable.

For a moment I was hoping they'd break out a rugby ball...unreal.
  • Reply 262 of 528
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

For a moment I was hoping they'd break out a rugby ball...unreal.

Although im gutted my team, Holland went out a bit early, I was hoping they'd score if not to see an extra 30 mins of that game. Im sure all hell would have broken out.

Shame Mexico went out aswell, two teams that on the night could win this cup, and certainly much better than some of the teams that will progress further.

Still, at least I can be somewhat certain that Englands pathetic losers come to an end on Saturday.
  • Reply 263 of 528
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Wow. Take everything that uniquely goes to make football the most popular game on the planet and the World Cup a bigger sporting event the Olympics and describe those things as faults.

Someone's missing the point.

Over the last 16 years soccer has come a long way in the US, and it continues to steadily gain popularity. The detractors are starting to get pissy because they're having a harder time finding other Americans who don't want to watch soccer.
  • Reply 264 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Over the last 16 years soccer has come a long way in the US, and it continues to steadily gain popularity. The detractors are starting to get pissy because they're having a harder time finding other Americans who don't want to watch soccer.

Very good point. I think you're right.
  • Reply 265 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

Although im gutted my team, Holland went out a bit early, I was hoping they'd score if not to see an extra 30 mins of that game. Im sure all hell would have broken out. Shame Mexico went out aswell, two teams that on the night could win this cup, and certainly much better than some of the teams that will progress further.

Well, Holland were missing something...or someone. As in an in form Van Nistelrooy. With the 2004 Van Nistelrooy they would've been a very dangerous team.

Mexico...I'm not so sure about. They outplayed the argies in the first half...and the forced susbtitutions may have disrupted their game plan quite a bit...but I'm still not sure they could beat strong teams consistently.

Man, an extra 30 minutes of that game....they would've had to suspend the game from lack of players...and coaches.
  • Reply 266 of 528
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I was rooting for an equalizer to allow for that 30 minutes. It would have been amazing to watch.
  • Reply 267 of 528
    Aus and Italy playing. Big match for me. I'm *The* Aussie in my school And ooo i cant imagine the faces of those Italians in the morning :P
  • Reply 268 of 528
    trowelltrowell Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ipod mondo

Aus and Italy playing. Big match for me. I'm *The* Aussie in my school And ooo i cant imagine the faces of those Italians in the morning :P

Think you aussies will sneak through.
  • Reply 269 of 528
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    How wrong was Italy's penalty? Feel sorry for all the Aussies.
  • Reply 270 of 528
    dojobidojobi Posts: 73member
    Yeah we couldn't believe it here either

After that 2nd half I thought we had to score eventually. I suppose we should have scored earlier on one of our 100 chances.
  • Reply 271 of 528
    Wow. That is an embarrassing way to go through. That was never a penalty. Not even close. If I had been the aussie defender and knowing the game was over I'd have given that ref. a nice piece of my mind.

That's what you get with expert divers. It's a shame. I hope some day Fifa utilizes instant replay for plays like this and then red cards the divers.
  • Reply 272 of 528
    dojobidojobi Posts: 73member
    I don't think it was a dive as such, he merely fell over Neill. The problem was the call, not the play in my mind.

EDIT: OK, just watched it again and there's a fair bit of dive in that

2nd EDIT: The red card on the Italians was a terrible call too. I might have to give FIFA a call and ask them to replay the game
  • Reply 273 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by dojobi

EDIT: OK, just watched it again and there's a fair bit of dive in that

Anyone who can't "jump" over a fallen player is diving my friend.

Quote:

2nd EDIT: The red card on the Italians was a terrible call too. I might have to give FIFA a call and ask them to replay the game

I agree. It may have been a harsh call on the red card...it was a yellow for sure but not sure about a red.

Maybe the ref wanted to compensate for the red card by gifting them a penalty kick in the last minute of play.
  • Reply 274 of 528
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Wow. That is an embarrassing way to go through. That was never a penalty. Not even close. If I had been the aussie defender and knowing the game was over I'd have given that ref. a nice piece of my mind.

That's what you get with expert divers. It's a shame. I hope some day Fifa utilizes instant replay for plays like this and then red cards the divers.

Yep. . . The Italians seem to have the officials in their corner. It's a damn shame, and I sincerely hope there's no foul play: the recent Serie A match-fixing scandal doesn't make me feel confident, however.

Lastly, where are the cards for diving? When I rule the world, people will HANG for diving.
  • Reply 275 of 528
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Uhh, i feel very sorry for the Aussie team. That penalty

was a god sent mistake. Ref, Nose in the corner!

Now Swizerland is playing. Crossing my fingers
  • Reply 276 of 528
    I think that referee helped, but Australia played with one more player a long time and couldn't score. It was a bad game and a bad referee.
  • Reply 277 of 528
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lucianok

I think that referee helped, but Australia played with one more player a long time and couldn't score. It was a bad game and a bad referee.

Swizz vs. Ukraine tries to top that even more.

Awful Kick.
  • Reply 278 of 528
    When Italy had 11 men they didn't attack much either. Australia didn't score with one more player....but diving and getting rewarded for it doesn't justify the game ending like that.

Unless you come from a country where diving is not only praised but encouraged.

Poor Swiss. Guess they should've practiced their penalty kicking. And Sheva missed his kick exactly the same way he missed against Liverpool.
  • Reply 279 of 528
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Well played and 1st card at the 65th minute. Better than the Brazil, Ghana game. The ref is controlling the game and letting it be played and determined on the field.

reg
  • Reply 280 of 528
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Very good game. I should have listened to who ever said Spain would choke.

reg