The Intel Powermac / Powermac Conroe / Mac Pro thread

Comments

• Reply 821 of 946
    If Apple is waiting on an Intel board, it'll come out at WWDC. If they go for a specialized board (which I think likely) it could come anytime.
  • Reply 822 of 946
    Just went to the Dell Site, a new precision 690 workstation with 2x 2.66Ghz woodcrest (quad cpu), 2Gb FB-DIMM, 250Gb HD and Superdrive, with a low-end quadroFX card (550) comes to $3500 with no monitor. Ship date (estimated) is July 12th.

So if apple can keep to the current $3200 price point for the top end quad it will be VERY competitive.
  • Reply 823 of 946
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Is the forum working yet?

Obviously not!
  • Reply 824 of 946
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    We are busy updating the store for you and will be back within the hour!!!

• Reply 825 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

Just went to the Dell Site, a new precision 690 workstation with 2x 2.66Ghz woodcrest (quad cpu), 2Gb FB-DIMM, 250Gb HD and Superdrive, with a low-end quadroFX card (550) comes to $3500 with no monitor. Ship date (estimated) is July 12th.

So if apple can keep to the current $3200 price point for the top end quad it will be VERY competitive.

Remember that those are where Dell makes the money. Dell makes no money on the low-end Celeron stuff. They make a few dollars on them. Dell's major margins come on these computers. That Quadro is pretty low-end, it looks less impressive than a 7900 (unless I am misunderstanding something). I'd expect the top-end to be a 3.0 GHz w/ 1 GB FB-DIMM and 500GB HDD with a 7900GT (third from high end) at $3500.
  • Reply 826 of 946
    Forums still f*&ked, my posts are all over the last 2 pages LOL. Anyway Woodcrest....... still think we will see in a Mac announced before August.
  • Reply 827 of 946
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Don't forget that the iMac was right out there. It was the first Yonah machine available in large numbers.

It's hard to say how that relates to the pro line though. They did take some time to get the MBP's out. Supposedly, they were to be announced at Macworld as well.

And the Merom won't be out until the forth quarter, so Apple might not intro a new MBP at the dev conf.
  • Reply 828 of 946
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Meh. 7/11 versus 8/7. I don't see how 4 weeks constitutes "screwing your customers"

Because one month represents a third or more of a typical PC product cycle.
  • Reply 829 of 946
    It's entirely possible that Tuesday afternoon is the date, simply for the Apple affection for Tuesday release dates.
  • Reply 830 of 946
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    apart from Xeon 5100

Yonah 2.33 Ghz listed in the CPU list, may be not going to get big notice, Core 2 Duo Merom, just a month away.

LV Core Duo 1.2Ghz also listed.

http://www.intel.com/products/proces...info_table.pdf

Pentium D 915 listed out in the CPU price list. Pentium 4 will give way to Penitum D slowly ...

http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/p..._Price_web.pdf
  • Reply 831 of 946
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I don't think Apple needs to be in a rush. Apple and Dell really don't compete against each other like that. Simply because they don't use the same operating systems.

Its highly unlikely that any one would replace their old PM G5 for a new Woodcreast Dell, because Dell came out with a Woodcrest computer a few weeks earlier. You would have to replace all of the software and support an entirely different system.

Some people believe Mac Pro won't sell well because Adobe creative suite won't be universal until next year.

I don't totally believe that, but I do believe many will hold out buying Mac Pro's or completely replacing their older PM G5's until the primary software they use becomes universal.
  • Reply 832 of 946
  • Reply 833 of 946
    If only.
  • Reply 834 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

The answer to this seems very obvious to me:

(especially with regard to the apple-premium)

What is this "Apple premium"? I hope this is just the premium you spend for not building your own, because unless you compared an Apple branded machine to a DELL, HP, or any other manufacturers computers with similar parts you should before you make such a statement. Because we have done this in here many times before, and in the past 3 years that I have noticed people doing it I have not seen any real escalated prices from Apple on anything they produce. It's a toss up IMO. Because some times they even had better prices than DELL comparatively.
  • Reply 835 of 946
    Yeah, well they need to completely demolish the concept of that premium with the Mac Pro. Remember, there are a lot of professionals wondering whether to stay Mac or switch to new Windows machines; this offers them a competitive solution that runs both.
  • Reply 836 of 946
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Remember, there are a lot of professionals wondering whether to stay Windows or switch to new Mac machines; this offers them a competitive solution that runs both.

T;ftfy.
  • Reply 837 of 946
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Have you noticed problems with this forum?

Yes. I couldn't get on late last last night. I'm way behind.
  • Reply 838 of 946
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I had this weird issue where it kept telling me I was exceeding flood control, even when I hadn't written something before.
  • Reply 839 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Yes. I couldn't get on late last last night. I'm way behind.

That's not what I was talking about, so I guess you missed it.

If you look in this thread you'll see the first post I am on top with ZachPruckowski below me. THe thread was started by AppleInsider

Kasper's Automated Slave, who should have the top position because he started it, but for some reason I jumped all the way ahead of him in the order. I have the post was quoting in a quote which was the last post posted at the time. THat post is about #20, or so, so mine should haver been #21, but for strange reasons I was thrown up to spot #1. It did that to me all night.
  • Reply 840 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

What is this "Apple premium"? I hope this is just the premium you spend for not building your own, because unless you compared an Apple branded machine to a DELL, HP, or any other manufacturers computers with similar parts you should before you make such a statement.

The "apple premium" I refer to is the perceived expensiveness of apple hardware. You see, average computer buyers don't really look at "similar parts" they just look at the price for a complete system (being computer + screen + Keyb. + mouse). Now i could have gotten a complete system from dell for ?763 including a 19" monitor (average joe remark: "and it has a faster processor too!" -P4 2.8 GHz)

I know just as well as you that, no, for the exact specifications apple really is not that much more expensive. The problem is average computer buyers simply don't look at the exact specifications because they have no idea what the exact specifications mean! Instead they just argue: "hell, I can get a complete computer from dell for hundreds less."

Reply: "but the apple has much better specs"

"the dell is fast enough for me!"

reply: "but it has no spyware and viruses and works great"

"I'm still not gonna pay ... hundred more for it!"

end of discussion.