What's the "best" strategy game for Macs?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Say what you want, I really don't care, it's typical for you SC supporters to rant and rant until you're dead even against purely objective facts as though they are wrong because you can't stand the fact that your game is archaic compared to TA. Which is an undeniable fact.

So, whatever.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    civ 3 plays nicely on my MBP 17"
  • Reply 23 of 42
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Say what you want, I really don't care

"There is only one right game in the world and it's the one I'm playing, I can't hear you, LA LA LA LA"

I'm saying there are two good games here.
    Quote:

it's typical for you SC supporters to rant and rant until you're dead even against purely objective facts as though they are wrong because you can't stand the fact that your game is archaic compared to TA.

What does the last line of my last post say?

I'd love to hear where I went against objective facts, too. You did on several points, and I pointed them out.
    Quote:

So, whatever.

"I have no respect for the people I talk to."

Not that surprising of a comment after you ignored the questions I asked in the two previous posts. I know, asking questions is a strange habit. It's just that when I don't know something, I make an effort to find out.

If you don't care about the facts, it would be honest and effective to say "I just happen to like this thing and I'm not interested in anything else."
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

civ 3 plays nicely on my MBP 17"

ok, since I actually can play PC-games now as well, which are the best turn-based strategy games on windows?
  • Reply 25 of 42
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

ok, since I actually can play PC-games now as well, which are the best turn-based strategy games on windows?

It's more of a tactics game but If I had a gaming-capable PC, I'd be all over Silent Storm.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Gon, I have no problem with SC, I actually quite enjoyed the game, but on sheer technicality TA is better. It would take too much time to type the differences, but I can do more of what I want to do tactics and strategy wise in TA than I could ever do in SC.

For example, say if there is a hill to the north of your base, and the enemy is north of your base as well. One strategy is to build your base up as close to the hill as possible, so that artillery cannot hit your buildings (as the artillery shells fire in an arc). However, it means you will generally not be able to place defensive turrets close to these buildings. Plus, the enemy could use missile tanks instead of artillery, which can fire over hills and mountains easily - An example of how the physics influences the tactics.

This is one example of the many decisions you have to make in TA to be good. There is just more scope and a much bigger theatre of battle, and the tactics involved are shaped accordingly. TA you can have 1000 units per side and it makes for very entertaining battles.

Another example: Placing your units up on a hill will give them more range than being on ground level, this is the same for radar as well, but it may make the spots where you place radar and units more obvious to your enemy.

I have absolutely no problem with people liking SC, but when they claim it has more tactics involved than TA it gets annoying. I happen to like TA more simply because it is more complicated. If you don't think so, then you obviously haven't played it enough. I have played both for years.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by maimezvous

I love the Civilization games. Is Civ 3 supported for Intel Macs or do I have to wait for Civ 4. I have a Mabook by the way. Will the integrated graphics have a huge effect on the way the game looks/plays?

I'm not sure if Civilization III was updated to work with intel Macs, but Civilization IV is going to be released on (the 26th) Monday and from the early review from MacWorld Civ IV is playable on a MacBook.

Heres the the first look from MacWorld http://www.macworld.com/2006/06/firs...iviv/index.php

And the best part he was only using a 1.83GHz with 512MB of Ram MacBook, so if you have more Ram it should play even better!!!

I can't wait to buy it

back on topic I really like this game http://www.wesnoth.org/ its a free turned base game which I have been playing for over a week and I love the game its really fun, I recommend it 100%!!
  • Reply 28 of 42
    ar4wyar4wy Posts: 33member
    I want to point something out against this pointless 'battle' between what is better, SC or TA.

It is a fact that these two games are one of the best RTS's ever.

Personally, I haven't played enough TA compared to the HOURS upon HOURS of SC I used to play (I was around 10-12).

TA is BIG. Duh. It is very innovative in terms in the RTS Genre.

Let me tell you here and now that Blizzard doesn't innovate. What blizzard does is looks at the genre (RTS or MMORPG) and streamlines it. Takes everything that is good and makes it easily assesible and easily learned by a normal audience, while hard to master. Much like what Miyamoto believes, that game can be learned in 5 minutes, but it takes a long time ti master.

The reason while StarCraft is still kicking after so many years is because, it is PERFECTLY balanced. Between the three races, there is ALWAYS a solution to something.

WoW is another example of Blizzard taking all the fun aspects of the "First Generation" MMO and streamlining it (in some case, in my opinion, oversimplifying it and making it boring). WoW is also easy and rewarding; assesible to the average player that is new to the MMO, and refreshingly simple (although the lack of depth shows up later) for veteran MMO players.

I'm not saying TA is a bad game, on the contrary, it is an amazing game with a fantastic scope. Keep an eye out on its spiritial successor (made by the same guy), "Supreme Commander".

But SC vs. TA is like comparing apple to oranges (sorry for the cliche), they're both different types of games, with things that people might enjoy on one end, and some on the other. SC's simple UI is very welcoming to a new player, and for me, non-blizzard RTS's UIs have always seemed a little unpolished compared to a blizzard RTS, just something different can't put my finger on it. While both games offer amazing depths, albiet differently, as one person mentioned above.

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/494/494673p1.html

Here is an interesting list of good RTS games over the years.

Anyways, this is just my opinion, and my advice...play BOTH. And it wouldn't hurt to try Civ 4
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Darth_Apple

I'm not sure if Civilization III was updated to work with intel Macs, but Civilization IV is going to be released on (the 26th) Monday and from the early review from MacWorld Civ IV is playable on a MacBook.

As I said earlier, Civ III works nicely on the MBP. Looking forward to Civ IV though. Wonder how the internet multiplayer option works?
  • Reply 30 of 42
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    Quote:

Heres the the first look from MacWorld http://www.macworld.com/2006/06/firs...iviv/index.php

And the best part he was only using a 1.83GHz with 512MB of Ram MacBook, so if you have more Ram it should play even better!!!

I can't wait to buy it

back on topic I really like this game http://www.wesnoth.org/ its a free turned base game which I have been playing for over a week and I love the game its really fun, I recommend it 100%!!

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely going to go out and buy that. I have 2gb of ram on a 2.0ghz processor. If he had no problem with the standard MacBook, I shouldn't either. I'm so excited now.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah, C and C Generals baby. Just wish I had a computer fast enough to play it. Sure it's fine on a 12" PBG4 867, if you don't mind playing in slo-mo. Hehe. Just like SimCity 4.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:

hey. god fun!
  • Reply 33 of 42
    I've been out of the loop regarding games for some time ... but does anyone recall a spaceship based RPG called Escape Velocity: Nova (or something like that) ... I used to play that on a G3 years ago...

Just wondering if it made the transition to OSX or perhaps there's a new version of the game. I don't recall who made it though.

Any help ?
  • Reply 34 of 42
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

I've been out of the loop regarding games for some time ... but does anyone recall a spaceship based RPG called Escape Velocity: Nova (or something like that) ... I used to play that on a G3 years ago...

Just wondering if it made the transition to OSX or perhaps there's a new version of the game. I don't recall who made it though.

Any help ?

EV Nova came out around 4 years or so ago. Still quite fun with all the expansions you can download

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/
  • Reply 35 of 42
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Still looking for that elusive D&D role-playing game. Wesnoth is nice, but I LOVED Might and Magic III.

I need that Ultima/M&M/Realmz experience again... something I can truly disappear into. Something with a six person party, stats like strength and agility and constitution, magic spells and levels... you know, the whole AD&D shebang.

What are my options? Can I run anything at all like that on my MacBook?

Baldar's Gate Series

Icewind Dale

Neverwinter Nights

Avernum 1, 2, 3 & 4

I'm still waiting for something truly good like what Wizardry was, but with unlimited character advancement.
  • Reply 36 of 42

I very much enjoyed "Neverwinter 2", but my favourite games of the last year or so have been "Settlers 7 Path to the Kingdom" and "Heroes of Might & Magic V". Unfortunately, the upgrade to Mountain Lion has mucked things up. It seems every time there is a major OS update, I lose a whole lot of games. I haven't checked to see what other games won't work, but my program for making dvds playable on my dvd player has gone and so has my main protection/repair program.

• Reply 37 of 42
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Zombie Thread Alert!

But since these are the kind of games I like here's some info for lesser known game makers:

Slitherine has some Java based games that run on the Mac.  Turn based military strat:

http://www.slitherine.com/games

I have the original Commander Europe At War which is okay but the mac support was iffy since it was a port done by Freeverse.

There's a Napoleon At War as well for those that like Napoleonic era.

http://www.slitherine.com/games/Mac

Paradox also does mac games.  I've only played Hearts of Iron on the PC but they have a mac version.

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games?genre=All&type=All&platform=20

The gaming situation IS a lot better than it was in 2006.