the macpro my thoughts

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
guys i think were all missing somthing here ........

companies that have a lot of power macs aren't ganna shell out thousands of dollers/pounds on new power macs (or whatever the name will be ...) just cause theyv'e got a faster chip in them i think apple will do(or should do) an upgrade service where you get the new mother board & chip.

that way you can reuse your exsisting hard drive etc.

make smore buisness sense and would please the already dedicated users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by carlito

companies that have a lot of power macs aren't ganna shell out thousands of dollers/pounds on new power macs (or whatever the name will be ...) just cause theyv'e got a faster chip in them i think apple will do(or should do) an upgrade service where you get the new mother board & chip.

Yeah they will?when they need new ones.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

I do like my smores.

"will do" = unlikely

"should do" = sounds green to me(re: and yes I meant the irony in the word green)
  • Reply 3 of 14
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    How is this different from any OTHER upgrade by any computer manufacturer to faster chips? No computer company in their right MIND would just sell an easy upgrade, it's money down the toilet.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

They aren't? Why do they do it every year then?

And I believe they do something like that because Virginia Tech's Big mac was originally PowerMacs and Think they updated it to xserves.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Completely new computer from the ground up! Completely new computer form the ground up!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think it's stupid that we should have to buy a new computer for a $150 motherboard.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Once a company hits a certain size they have a company standard refresh cycle. Usually it's 3 years and then they begin to get ready for a new platform and modify their "images" for the new hardware.

Companies in fact "will" upgrade their Macs and spend thousands of dollars to gain access to faster computers. Unlike us civillians companies have a more clearly defined ROI(Return on Investment) generally and they know when it makes sense to drop $30k on new computers.

upgrades are too time consuming. Say your Net Admin makes 65k a year and you want to save a few bucks on a new computer so you have him install a bunch of upgrades well he/she is making $30 an hour is it really cost effective to nickle and dime your way into a slightly better performaing computer?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    You must be new here. I don't want to be mean, but Apple doesn't really do upgrades. Rarely do we get processor upgrade options when it's a difference between a 1.5 and 1.8 GHz processor. Much less a transition to a new architecture. However, this may start becoming an option on Intel chips. Buy a processor newer than your current one that is in use by Apple, update the OS, and swap chips. Should work. Worked for dropping a Merom in a Mac Mini.

Also, buying a Mac Pro when CS3 comes out (March? May?) will get you not just a speed boost (it may be 8 core by then) but also iLife 2007 and Leopard. When you add $129 + $129 to a $1500 "motherboard upgrade", you pay just as much.

And for the record, the Powermac has two HDD slots, I assume the Mac Pro will have 2+, so you can reuse your old drive (though you may have to reformat it) as a data drive.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Are you drunk?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Are you drunk?

he's obviously smoking pills.

lol.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    It's way too much hassle for companies to just upgrade MOBOs and the CPU etc.

oh and the RAm as that might have changed for the new MB...

Usually, every 3years a company just get new PCs
  • Reply 12 of 14
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

Originally posted by revs

It's way too much hassle for companies to just upgrade MOBOs and the CPU etc.

oh and the RAm as that might have changed for the new MB...

Usually, every 3years a company just get new PCs

I have to agree, it's easier for a company to just change the whole box than the MB. My company will replace the whole computer rather than upgrading one part - the chip, RAM, or HD.

And why would Apple change something that works great the way it is. Apple sells complete computers, they don't sell parts.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Even on the Windows PC side companies don't generally upgrade processors to save money. Regular refresh cycles are common in many companies.

It's also the pace of technology that works against the myth of processor upgrades. There haven't been viable cost effective *processor only* upgrades available on the PC for some time. Most times, technology will have advanced to where you need a new motherboard at a minimum, then maybe memory, then of course there are faster drives available, then etc...

I was fascinated when I moved to Apple machines (back when the G3 was introduced) that there was actually a thriving market for procesor upgrades. Alas that seems to have died down quite a bit.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

I was fascinated when I moved to Apple machines (back when the G3 was introduced) that there was actually a thriving market for procesor upgrades. Alas that seems to have died down quite a bit.

There have never been enough G5s to go around. Whereas IBM/Motorola/Freescale made some G3s and G4s that got bought by upgrade companies, G5s were in so short of supply (especially when new chips came out) that all of them were going to Apple.