Apple: PLEASE take the video off of the front page!!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple.com now has a video in its front page, am I the only one that finds that anoying? If the video must be there, give me the option to play it or not, dont make it auto start...scared the crap out of me because I had my volume spiked listening to music earlier...

Apple playing a TV commercial is just as bad as some news web site playing audio or video that oyu dont start...am I nuts??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Doesn't auto start for me. In fact, it doesn't do anything but max out my bandwidth for 3-4 seconds and sit there.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    word.

Very annoying.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Dude, if you don't like it, go get a Dell.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    lakingsfnlakingsfn Posts: 141member
    The commercials are totally funny, that is a little annoying though, I agree.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Dude, if you don't like it, go get a Dell.

Dont get me starteg Gene; I don't want to start this debate here...
  • Reply 6 of 27
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I agree. It's bad form. They should have a still image with a line or two from the ad and an option to play the ad.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Maybe Apple want to trim their online sales down to exclusively broadband users? Poor country folk like me who can't get broadband aren't going to like apple.com.

Time for Steve to fire someone.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Maybe Apple want to trim their online sales down to exclusively broadband users? Poor country folk like me who can't get broadband aren't going to like apple.com.

Time for Steve to fire someone.

yea, you should try using apple.com on a windows box with QT6, Dad doesnt use QT so it naturaly never gets updated; we got talking about Macs yesterday so I went to show him Apple.com and it loaded all the QT content as empty frames with the broken filmstrip icon; no update message, no "plugin needed" message; my dad had a very good point; "A dell is a few hundred $$ less and their website works; if Apple cant make a working site, why buy their damn PCs?"
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

yea, you should try using apple.com on a windows box with QT6, Dad doesnt use QT so it naturaly never gets updated; we got talking about Macs yesterday so I went to show him Apple.com and it loaded all the QT content as empty frames with the broken filmstrip icon; no update message, no "plugin needed" message; my dad had a very good point; "A dell is a few hundred $$ less and their website works; if Apple cant make a working site, why buy their damn PCs?"

you're right! stupid apple. stupid steven paul whatever. i'm putting my mac on ebay right now.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    I have to imagine that is Apple were going to fix this they would have done so by now. Looks like no one got the can. Bummer really, since this is not a bright move.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

you're right! stupid apple. stupid steven paul whatever. i'm putting my mac on ebay right now.

ASS...

I was making a point; if the website doesnt load right without a ~40 MB download, something is wrong; If flash player needs an update, it is a few hundred k, same with shockwave, there is a little bit of differance between 800k and ~40MB.

That not withstanding, video ignores the fact that people have low patince for the web, if it takes more than ~3 seconds for a page to load completely, you will loose at least 1/2 of the viewers...if they REQUESTED and EXPECT video, they will wait, most people get that video is heavy data: that said, they will not wait for Apple.com, dell.com, hp.com...these are COMPUTER companies, if their web site, or at least the home page isnt fast, folks will move on...

ALSO, it can be annoying, you dont realise your speakers are up, it is 2 AM and you deside to wander to Apple.com for whatever reason because you cant sleep...you are greeted with "HI I'M A MAC!!! AND I AM A PC!!!!!" congrats, you have just awakened the whole family (this is what happened to me, and why I got pissed in the first place.) ...it is a PAIN IN THE ASS
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Dumb question, but doesn't quicktime request a different movie based on your internet connection speed? That would allow a freakishly small video for dialup users. Anyone who pushes a 40MB video to a 56K modem on a main page should be whipped with a garden hose. Even noobs have better common sense than that. Well, for the most part.

On a side note...

YOU GOT MAIL!

rattled me out of bed at 1:30 AM.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    "HI, I'M A MAC..." *rapid stabbing at volume key*

"Jesus jumped up Christ, what the hell was that?!"

"Nothing dear"

"You're not buying another Mac!"

"Yes, dear"

"The MacBook and the new iMac are enough"

"Of course dear" *thinking "Damnit Steve, I was so close"*
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

ASS...

I was making a point; if the website doesnt load right without a ~40 MB download, something is wrong; If flash player needs an update, it is a few hundred k, same with shockwave, there is a little bit of differance between 800k and ~40MB.

That not withstanding, video ignores the fact that people have low patince for the web, if it takes more than ~3 seconds for a page to load completely, you will loose at least 1/2 of the viewers...if they REQUESTED and EXPECT video, they will wait, most people get that video is heavy data: that said, they will not wait for Apple.com, dell.com, hp.com...these are COMPUTER companies, if their web site, or at least the home page isnt fast, folks will move on...

ALSO, it can be annoying, you dont realise your speakers are up, it is 2 AM and you deside to wander to Apple.com for whatever reason because you cant sleep...you are greeted with "HI I'M A MAC!!! AND I AM A PC!!!!!" congrats, you have just awakened the whole family (this is what happened to me, and why I got pissed in the first place.) ...it is a PAIN IN THE ASS

hey no need to get your panties up in a bunch.

i think your problem is solved by turning down the volume before you go to bed, so that when you sleepwalk to your mac this won't happen anymore.

yes, video that autoloads is a pain. i don't like it either. i find it very annoying that the web is looking more and more everyday like the sick baby my web browser and the tv had together.

but it's really not that bad.

where do you get your stats from? "if it takes more than ~3 seconds for a page to load completely, you will loose at least 1/2 of the viewers"
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

where do you get your stats from? "if it takes more than ~3 seconds for a page to load completely, you will loose at least 1/2 of the viewers"

75% of statistics are made up on the spot.

For the record, same "late night" audio blast courtesy of the Apple site scared the hell out of me, too. I had already opened another tab, too, so it took me a second to figure out where it was coming from! I'd prefer Apple to not have auto play videos on their site, but if they do... oh well.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Dumb question, but doesn't quicktime request a different movie based on your internet connection speed? That would allow a freakishly small video for dialup users. Anyone who pushes a 40MB video to a 56K modem on a main page should be whipped with a garden hose. Even noobs have better common sense than that. Well, for the most part.

On a side note...

YOU GOT MAIL!

rattled me out of bed at 1:30 AM.

I believe the 40MB comment was related to the fact that QT7 is about 40MB. If you need to download a 40MB QT update, then download the video, the site is useless. At least to me. Remember, most people needing a QT update are probably using a WinPC since Macs have come with QT7 installed since Tiger was released and QT is much more prevalent on Mac than it is on PC.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    *Tries to kick himself in the head*

*Fails*

*Finds butt with success*

• Reply 18 of 27
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Try http://www.apple.com/contact/feedback.html. I did. It may not help, but it made me feel better.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    trebuchettrebuchet Posts: 176member
    Not to mention freezing up or crashing Camino nightly builds.

I hate auto-playing anything websites.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    well, no one has mentioned this but it's not as if the commercials arent getting enough airtime. Every channel I turn to lately plays the commercials. I think the autoplay on the homepage things is pretty stupid myself.