Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.7 Update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 180
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Before anyone else posts something about this update not working re-boot a second time first and then let us know if you still have problems.
  • Reply 22 of 180
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaptObvious

EDIT: Turns out it all works, it was all just clogged up waiting about 5 minutes for an AFS connection to fail (wasn't that supposed to be the #1 fix in this patch?) - got the AFS failed to mount dialog, clicked OK and all of the keys I'd hit and the about box showed up at the same time. [/B]

That is one issue I would like to see fixed. This is one place where MacOS X needs some work.
  • Reply 23 of 180
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

spread the news on other forii for anyone who might find this helpful.

Is that even a word? Shouldn't it be forums.

I downloaded the Combo Updater and no problems at all.

• Reply 24 of 180
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xUKHCx

Is that even a word? Shouldn't it be forums.

Possibly. Both forums and fora seem to be accepted plurals; however, given the Latin/Italian genesis of the word, and their pluralization rules (cello/celli), I have a fondness for "forii", accurate or not.
  • Reply 25 of 180
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

The guy who made the app stripped away most of the code, so all it does is connect to the iSight, close the connection, and quit -- and blessed silence is the result.

Not quite. If the connection to the iSight were closed, the whining would return. The trick is to leave the connection open and still quit the app, leaving the connection hanging.

And the plural is "fora".
  • Reply 26 of 180
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Don't revert; there's an *easy* workaround.

TO EVERYONE WITH WHINING INTEL MACHINES:

If you want to keep all the improvements in 10.4.7, but want the mirror widget/Photo Booth trick to still work, simply download the USB drivers for Intel 10.4.5 from here:

http://developer.apple.com/hardwared.../usbdebug.html

...after you install 10.4.7.

Direct link: ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Develo...40.4.3-log.dmg

Install the non-debug version in the disk image (the one without "log"), restart & the fix will work once more!

You can even bypass the mirror widget/Photo Booth trick and simply put MagicNoiseKiller.app in your Login Items list for your user account in System Preferences. (It's an app based on development sample code by Apple that also accesses the iSight. The guy who made the app stripped away most of the code, so all it does is connect to the iSight, close the connection, and quit -- and blessed silence is the result.)

If this worked for you, spread the news on other forii for anyone who might find this helpful. I've been using this solution for months, and it works great.

did this work for anyone who has intalled the 10.4.7 update?
  • Reply 27 of 180
    Disk Quota's On Mac OS X Server 10.4.7 are STILL limited to 2GB despite this supposidly fixed in 10.4.6
  • Reply 28 of 180
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    I've got a MBP and don't have any of the reported issues. I used the Combo Update as well, I suspect that those who didn't are the ones with the problems.

I'm enjoying my two finger contextual menu functionality! (After I turned it on in System Prefs)
  • Reply 29 of 180
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    .7 runs great here...FF renders pages faster, and the Quicktime tweaks really helped, iTunes seems to be playing at the same volume in my reciever as FM radio, so my low audio issue seems to be fixed.
  • Reply 30 of 180
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by user23

also, there is "clicking" "dragging" & "Drag Lock (tap again to release)" options

features I won't be using once I revert to 10.4.6

Those options have been present on all Apple laptops with a trackpad from, at the latest, the PowerBook 190 (introduced in August 1995, I had one).

Oh, and 10.4.7 is working fine for me on a MacBook.
  • Reply 31 of 180
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Those options have been present on all Apple laptops with a trackpad from, at the latest, the PowerBook 190 (introduced in August 1995, I had one).

Oh, and 10.4.7 is working fine for me on a MacBook.

Doh! Of course....

btw, m01ety, I tried your solution...but to no avail
  • Reply 32 of 180
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    Mac OS X 10.4.7 working great on a MacBook Pro.

I've installed hundreds of updates on dozens of machines since I switched over to Mac OS X a few years ago, and have NEVER had any kind of an issue, even a minor issue. Quite unlike System 7... But that's another story, kids!
  • Reply 33 of 180
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Originally posted by user23

wipe & reinstall since I don't have a back-up image.

Why the **** would you install an OS update without a proper backup?!

Is your data worthless?
  • Reply 34 of 180
    Thank f*cking g0d.

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/.../t-197138.html

No whine/buzz & I'm running 10.4.7

I've rebooted a few times...opened closed some apps...No apparent instability - yet
  • Reply 35 of 180
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    DAMN %$#@&* !

This update IS buggy !

The Finder is now acting weirdly relative to icons-apps association. All my text files created with some word processing app are now associated with TextEdit (by default ??), and the Finder even crashed once after I tried to remake the right association using the Get info panel. And apparently, there's no way I can channge globally the association. It worked perfectly before this update, now, it's all screwed !

Example : in my preference panel, see the icons close to the apps names :

Shame on you, Apple !
  • Reply 36 of 180
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Dead iMac CD here.

The installer crashed half way thru the update. I got a message that there was an error, and the install was to be aborted. After that, thing were...weird. Very unresponsive Finder, Dock, etc. Tried to reboot, but it never got any farther than the blue screen (of death).

After SEVERAL minutes, I manually rebooted. It wouldn't pass the grey screen. I let the Mac sit for about 30 min, hoping that something might 'click.' It never did.

I booted from the original CD, and ran Disk Utility. To my dismay, I noticed that the Start-Up disk utility listed 10.4.7 as the OS on my HD. This meant that I had a F'd up, half-ass install. I tried a few more boots, PRAM resets, and safe mode...no luck.

I'm now writing this from my PowerBook, cursing Apple's BS updates, and performing an archive install on my iMac. Thanks for the lovely evening Apple.
  • Reply 37 of 180
    pwm519pwm519 Posts: 2member
    Nice improvement in Wow with the 10.4.7 update - especially under water - in the past it was always murky - now it's crystal clear.
  • Reply 38 of 180
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keda

Dead iMac CD here.

The installer crashed half way thru the update.

To my dismay, I noticed that the Start-Up disk utility listed 10.4.7 as the OS on my HD. This meant that I had a F'd up, half-ass install.

Generally, when this happens, you can re-download and re-install the update over the top, and it'll fix whatever was the problem. This usually means having a somewhat working machine, but you *can* do it from another machine using Target Disk Mode with some work.
  • Reply 39 of 180
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

DAMN %$#@&* !

This update IS buggy !

You poor person! It's turned your display to incomprehensible gibberish! Bonjour indeed!

That aside, did I read the update right? Do OS X users at long last have native support for that cutting-edge technology, FTP?

RAW support was added for the following cameras:

Olympus C7070, Olympus E330, Olympus E500, Minolta Dynax 5D, Minolta Maxxum 5D, and Pentax *ist DL

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303771

I'm still waiting for my S5200/S5600 to be supported. It's frustrating. I bought my digital camera before switching, and chose it partly because it does support RAW (ignoring Fuji's aggressive JPEG compression, figuring I wouldn't be affected by that). I have yet to crossgrade Photoshop to CS2 (I'm waiting for the next release before crossgrading - no point in settling for PPC when I can buy native) and Fuji's software is absolutely awful (the camera's JPEGs look better). The only way I've found for getting RAW images into iPhoto is to use the UFRaw plugin for GIMP, export the JPEG, and import it into iPhoto (the worst workflow of the year award goes to...)

Any suggestions for a 'plugin' or other such tool to import S5200/S5600 RAW photos into iPhoto? UFRaw is fantastically powerful, but frustrating in the X11/GIMP interface.
  • Reply 40 of 180
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

You poor person! It's turned your display to incomprehensible gibberish! Bonjour indeed!

That aside, did I read the update right? Do OS X users at long last have native support for that cutting-edge technology, FTP?

No, you misread it. FTP has been in there since 10.0, five years ago, this was just giving it a tweak.