Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.7 Update

Comments

• Reply 61 of 180
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Well, here's your chance to shine. Two Macs being brought down by the same update...one Intel on PPC. I've cobbled the iMac back together.

What should I do? The PB has been sitting for over 30min at the grey screen. The fan is running but I can't hear anything else. So, what now?

POS update.

-edit-

Nothing special on either Mac. The PB was just cleaned off, so it had abt 9GB of space on the drive. Both of my Macs pretty much represent a 'stock' install. Only Apple-supplied updates.
  • Reply 62 of 180
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keda

Well, here's your chance to shine. Two Macs being brought down by the same update...one Intel on PPC. I've cobbled the iMac back together.

What should I do? The PB has been sitting for over 30min at the grey screen. The fan is running but I can't hear anything else. So, what now?

POS update.

-edit-

Nothing special on either Mac. The PB was just cleaned off, so it had abt 9GB of space on the drive. Both of my Macs pretty much represent a 'stock' install. Only Apple-supplied updates.

which update did you do???????????????????????????
  • Reply 63 of 180
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    It'll be interesting to find out if there's any common theme among those having so many problems.

My 15" MBP and my Quad G5 both updated flawlessly and without a single hitch -- that's both Intel and PPC updates.

Is there some app most of the people having problems run? Some haxie? Some peripheral or particular system configuration?

I think you guys can be pretty sure that Apple does test these updates on a pretty wide variety of systems, and they have lots of beta testers too, so there must be something a bit unusual going on here for such crash-and-burn results to slip past Apple's attention. I don't think Apple's QA people are watching the update fail miserably on 1 out of 10 or 100 or even 1000 systems, then doing nothing but snorting derisively and saying, "Eh, whatever, good enough. Ship it!"
  • Reply 64 of 180
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

which update did you do???????????????????????????

On the iMac, I first did the 10.4.6 -> .7 update (Intel)

-This crashed and ruined the OS

After Reinstall to 10.4.4, I ran the 10.4.4 -> .7 update (Intel)

-No problems

On the 12" PB, I ran the 10.4.6 -> .7 (PPC)

-It is now stuck on the grey screen...45min and counting

-edit-

As I said, both my Macs are very stock. RAM is the only common upgrade, but this does not seem to be a RAM related issue.

No haxie, so system tweaks
  • Reply 65 of 180
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    No problems on my iMac G5 first ed. A couple of widgets not displaying properly is only thing I noticed...they will soon be updated I'm sure
  • Reply 66 of 180
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    As usual, No problems here.

Want a trouble free update? Do ALL of the following. Sure, its a few extra steps, but certainly worth the trouble.

Here the list:

1. backup your data

2. Repair permissions. (before and after update)

3. Use a utility like ONYX to clean your caches.

4. I always use Disk Warrior to rebuild my directory.

5. Download the Combo updater (do not use Software Update)

6. Unplug all Firewire and USB drives and devices from computer

7. Run installer

I ALWAYS do all of the above before an OS update and I've never had a single problem.

Most of the time (not always,) when people are blaming Apple they should be blaming themselves for not maintaining their systems and backing up properly. Updating the OS on top of a system with directory errors is the number one reason for erratic behavior. Disk Utility costs $100, but it takes care of directory errors.
  • Reply 67 of 180
    khkookhkoo Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

You poor person! It's turned your display to incomprehensible gibberish! Bonjour indeed!

That aside, did I read the update right? Do OS X users at long last have native support for that cutting-edge technology, FTP?

RAW support was added for the following cameras:

Olympus C7070, Olympus E330, Olympus E500, Minolta Dynax 5D, Minolta Maxxum 5D, and Pentax *ist DL

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303771

I'm still waiting for my S5200/S5600 to be supported. It's frustrating. I bought my digital camera before switching, and chose it partly because it does support RAW (ignoring Fuji's aggressive JPEG compression, figuring I wouldn't be affected by that). I have yet to crossgrade Photoshop to CS2 (I'm waiting for the next release before crossgrading - no point in settling for PPC when I can buy native) and Fuji's software is absolutely awful (the camera's JPEGs look better). The only way I've found for getting RAW images into iPhoto is to use the UFRaw plugin for GIMP, export the JPEG, and import it into iPhoto (the worst workflow of the year award goes to...)

Any suggestions for a 'plugin' or other such tool to import S5200/S5600 RAW photos into iPhoto? UFRaw is fantastically powerful, but frustrating in the X11/GIMP interface.

I can not believe they still not support Pentax ist Ds RAW file while they support Pentax ist DL RAW file ...
  • Reply 68 of 180
    Quote:

On the iMac, I first did the 10.4.6 -> .7 update (Intel)

-This crashed and ruined the OS

After Reinstall to 10.4.4, I ran the 10.4.4 -> .7 update (Intel)

-No problems

On the 12" PB, I ran the 10.4.6 -> .7 (PPC)

-It is now stuck on the grey screen...45min and counting

-edit-

As I said, both my Macs are very stock. RAM is the only common upgrade, but this does not seem to be a RAM related issue.

No haxie, so system tweaks

The point I've been trying to make is that it's probably because you didn't install the combo update.

Intel Combo

PPC Combo
  • Reply 69 of 180
    Thanks, but no thanks.

I have Onyx...and run it. Ther is no Disk Util for my iMac. I have no FW drives attached. I run a Mac-based business, and know how to take care of my machines.

But c'mon, these steps should not be neccassary for a system update. What about the kid who just got a Mac at school...or worse, his mom who just got one. This would seriously screw them up.

My iMac was dead, and I was able to ounce back in a few hours. Other wouldn't be able to. I certainly blame Apple when a third of my Macs here are knocked out by the same update.
  • Reply 70 of 180
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

The point I've been trying to make is that it's probably because you didn't install the combo update.

Intel Combo

PPC Combo

Why is the combo neccassary? I am up to date on my SW. Apple is distributing SW to my desktop. It should work.

Anyways, to the matter at hand...what are oyur opinions about the PowerBook? Should I restart, or let it run a bit longer?
  • Reply 71 of 180
    Quote:

Thanks, but no thanks.

But c'mon, these steps should not be neccassary for a system update.

Unfortunately, they are necessary. Better be safe than sorry.
  • Reply 72 of 180
    Quote:

Why is the combo neccassary? I am up to date on my SW. Apple is distributing SW to my desktop. It should work.

Anyways, to the matter at hand...what are oyur opinions about the PowerBook? Should I restart, or let it run a bit longer?

Definitely restart, if it's hung up for an hour now, it's not doin anything, that's my opinion :/

As for why the combo is neccessary? I'm not really sure. I just know it is. There's probably someone else here who is more qualified to answer that than me. I've also heard that repairing permissions before the SW update install is just as good as the combo update. So my guess is that the combo update has all its permissions already correct, whereas the incremental update is building upon files with improper permissions, then causing problems. That's my guess. I'm really not sure though, there may be more involved than simply permission...
  • Reply 73 of 180
    Solsun-This is AI, and I know the people with the problems are usually the bad guys. But, these machines are well maintained, more-so than most. Instead of chastising me, based on you assumptions abt how the computers are kept, how about something useful?

The larger point is that the vast majority of users don't have the foggiest idea that Onyx, etc exists. If an Apple update that arrives thru SWU is wreaking havoc on systems, it is Apple's fault. If repairing perms is so essential to the upgrade process, then why isn't that built into the installer?
  • Reply 74 of 180
    Well, I will certainly use combos from now on. I rebooted the PB twice. On the second attempt, it worked and I'm now logged in.

I have one more Mac to upgrade...but I think that can wait until morning. Enough fun for one evening.
  • Reply 75 of 180
    Quote:

Solsun-This is AI, and I know the people with the problems are usually the bad guys. But, these machines are well maintained, more-so than most. Instead of chastising me, based on you assumptions abt how the computers are kept, how about something useful?

The larger point is that the vast majority of users don't have the foggiest idea that Onyx, etc exists. If an Apple update that arrives thru SWU is wreaking havoc on systems, it is Apple's fault. If repairing perms is so essential to the upgrade process, then why isn't that built into the installer?

These are questions not easily answered by mere men.
  • Reply 76 of 180
    ALWAYS USE THE COMBO UPDATER. Even if you are otherwise up to date.

Apple likes to over-simply the process of doing system updates through Software Update. Any experienced user will tell you not to do this, at some point, it will bite you in the ass.

And if you don't want to spend the $$ to buy a directory repair utility like "Disk Warrior," at the very least you need to use the "repair disk" function in "Disk Utility" before doing a system update.
  • Reply 77 of 180
    Quote:

Keda, firstly I wasn't speaking to you directly and I did not chastize anyone, My exact words were "Most of the time" not always. Secondly, I did post something useful. 7 tips to be exact.

And I agree, Apple needs to be more explicit in directing users how to update properly... However, as I said, Apple likes to over simplify the process by using the one-step software update method. There is much more that needs to be done for updates to be successful everytime.
  • Reply 78 of 180
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Apple is at fault for their update methods.

Solsun is correct. The only thing I don't agree with is repairing permissions before updating. That has been shown to be unneccessary. Otherwise, the suggestions are fine.

Apple themselves recommend that one always check the Hd before applying an update, or upgrade, then repairing permissions afterwards.

Yet, with software update, you don't get a chance.

Now that the Disk Utility can verify a disk without starting from another drive, there is no excuse not to do at least that, and then if a problem exists, restart from somewhere else, and fix the drive.

Many problems are from the hd having some minor problem which is then exaggerated when the update, or upgrade is applied.

The other thing of importance is to ALWAYS unmount, turn off, and disconnect any Firewire Hd's from your system before applying the update. After you know that everything is again ok, you can turn them on, and reconnect.

Lastly, sometimes the update will remove parts of third parties software, and put it in the old system folder. The software then will have a problem. Unfortunately, unlike System 9 and earlier, it can be almost impossible to understand just which files they are, and even if found, where to put them.

The Combo updater can fix problems, or at least not give you more, because it installs the new software from the base system release, rather than just applying the newest files. That can be much better because it eliminates accumulated dross in the system, and does it fresh.
  • Reply 79 of 180
    franksargentfranksargent Posts: 4,694member

Quad G5, incremental update(s) thru Software Update, NO PROBLEM!

WTF, you people all sound like meth lab cooks!

So many update recipes, which one is the best!

I think I'll try the special 12 step AA recipe this time!

But if you really, Really, REALLY want to update OS HeX without a hitch, I'd suggest having the Pope come over to your house, and have him perform an EXORCISM prior to applying the update!

So much for the so called HeX's vaunted ease of use argument, wouldn't you say?

Are all you people trying to convert people to Windows XP? Which BTW, I've NEVER had a problem updating (although it needs updates on an almost HOURLY basis)!

Critical data you say? WTF, burn baby burn! You have heard of flash drives? But, you say, you have a 100,000,000TB mission critical project due 3 days before the day after tomorrow, but for SOME irrational reason, you MUST immediately update HeX, because, of course, you've got nothing better to do with your time!

ROTFLMAO

• Reply 80 of 180
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

[BAnd I agree, Apple needs to be more explicit in directing users how to update properly... However, as I said, Apple likes to over simplify the process by using the one-step software update method. There is much more that needs to be done for updates to be successful everytime. [/B]

It seems to me that Apple could do some of this checking themselves, even with Software Update. It couls turn on Drive Utility, and check it. If there is a problem, you would then know.

Afterwards, it could automatically fix permissions, so that one doesn't have to remember to do so.