Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.7 Update

Comments

• Reply 81 of 180
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by franksargent

Quad G5, incremental update(s) thru Software Update, NO PROBLEM!

WTF, you people all sound like meth lab cooks!

So many update recipes, which one is the best!

I think I'll try the special 12 step AA recipe this time!

But if you really, Really, REALLY want to update OS HeX without a hitch, I'd suggest having the Pope come over to your house, and have him perform an EXORCISM prior to applying the update!

So much for the so called HeX's vaunted ease of use argument, wouldn't you say?

Are all you people trying to convert people to Windows XP? Which BTW, I've NEVER had a problem updating (although it needs updates on an almost HOURLY basis)!

Critical data you say? WTF, burn baby burn! You have heard of flash drives? But, you say, you have a 100,000,000TB mission critical project due 3 days before the day after tomorrow, but fore SOME irrational reason, you MUST immediately update HeX, because, of course, you've got nothing better to do with your time!

ROTFLMAO

Frank, you might think it is funny, but it's not. Most problems are traced to problems on the drive, or Firewire drives being left plugged in.

Apple recommends some of these procedures themselves, though they don't do it for us.
  • Reply 82 of 180
    gamoguygamoguy Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kolchak

Here we go. A little outdated, but includes the earliest models featuring Firewire Target Disk Mode.

Target Disk Mode has been around since before Firewire. Prior to Firewire it used to be SCSI Disk mode or HD Target Mode.
  • Reply 83 of 180
    bauchbauch Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keda

Thanks, but no thanks.

I have Onyx...and run it. Ther is no Disk Util for my iMac. I have no FW drives attached. I run a Mac-based business, and know how to take care of my machines.

But c'mon, these steps should not be neccassary for a system update. What about the kid who just got a Mac at school...or worse, his mom who just got one. This would seriously screw them up.

My iMac was dead, and I was able to ounce back in a few hours. Other wouldn't be able to. I certainly blame Apple when a third of my Macs here are knocked out by the same update.

Umm... yes, these is a Disk Utility for your Mac. It's in the Utilities folder and it's called "Disk Utility". I haven't seen any "modern" Mac running OS X without it.

Anyways though, I applied the combo update to both our iMac G5 iSight and my 12" Powerbook G4 Rev. D and both went flawlessly. My Powerbook restarted twice, but it did it all on its own and everything appears to be fine.
  • Reply 84 of 180
    franksargentfranksargent Posts: 4,694member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Frank, you might think it is funny, but it's not. Most problems are traced to problems on the drive, or Firewire drives being left plugged in.

Apple recommends some of these procedures themselves, though they don't do it for us.

Actually, I find it to be very, Very, VERY FUNNY!

YOU, and only YOU, are ultimately responsible, for what YOU do with YOUR computer!

Don't blame your HD, don't blame FW, AND don't blame Apple!

But wait, I just found a sure fire one step HeX update procedure;

Purchase one Steve Jobs Voodoo Doll©®? from the Apple Store©®?, insert 10 pins into the heart, 4 pins into the crotch, and 7 pins into the rectum, and during the update process say the following repeatedly, "There's no place like iHome, there's no place like iHome, ..."

There, fixed that!

• Reply 85 of 180
    Quote:

YOU, and only YOU, are ultimately responsible, for what YOU do with YOUR computer!

Purchase one Steve Jobs Voodoo Doll©®? from the Apple Store©®?, insert 10 pins into the heart, 4 pins into the crotch, and 7 pins into the rectum, and during the update process say the following repeatedly, "There's no place like iHome, there's no place like iHome, ..."

There, fixed that!

QFT.
  • Reply 86 of 180
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    And the jackass of the week award goes to?
  • Reply 87 of 180
    Those powerbooks are hanging in that gray screen because the updated firmware, after updating itself it doesn't know where to look disks anymore, restart, and it should be fine. This problem has been with other firmware updates as well, I just don't know why they don't mention it in that update warning.
  • Reply 87 of 180
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

There, fixed that!

That's a nonsense answer. Of course we are responsable. And that means doing what we presented.

Your attitude is strange indeed. May as well tell people to never back-up.
  • Reply 89 of 180
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

And the jackass of the week award goes to?

Could you please ship it iFedHeX?

• Reply 90 of 180
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    AGGGHHHHHH

I updated my Powerbook 12inch from 10.4.3 to 10.4.7 with combo installer and it started up with blinking globe icon at startup!!!!

How the hell do I get out of this?? And what the hell just happened!?!??!
  • Reply 91 of 180
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    For starters it is looking for a network system when the blinking globe comes up.

I am not sure how to fix it.

8)
  • Reply 92 of 180
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

AGGGHHHHHH

I updated my Powerbook 12inch from 10.4.3 to 10.4.7 with combo installer and it started up with blinking globe icon at startup!!!!

How the hell do I get out of this?? And what the hell just happened!?!??!

It is looking for a NetBoot server to load the OS from. Try starting up holding down the H key.
  • Reply 93 of 180
    Or the option key, then selecting the hard drive. Then, once booted, make sure to select the drive again in Startup Disk to make it a permanent choice.
  • Reply 94 of 180
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

That's a nonsense answer. Of course we are responsable. And that means doing what we presented.

Your attitude is strange indeed. May as well tell people to never back-up.

My reply to the above, in order is, no, yes, no!

A nonsense answer? Read the thread, how many people are pointing the finger of blame at themselves? At Apple?

Nope, you blamed Apple, not I. "Apple is at fault for their update methods."

Is there any consistent pattern to instillation issues posted so far? I don't see one in the FEW posts in this thread so far, but maybe later, who knows. But I doubt that a significant pattern will emerge now or in future OS updates, IMHO updates under 10.4 are pretty seemless, not like the situation in the 10.2 era, these things (OS X instillation procedures) tend to reach mythological proportions over time, people become old school, and just repeat previous procedures, unquestioned.

And that's one of my points, Apple controls the HW/OS chain, while Microsoft does not, yet Apple needs the 12 step AA program to "properly" update the OS, while Microsoft updates are, in a word, seamless. No detach this, permissions that, etcetera! WTF, who wins the ease of use argument here?

"And that means doing what we presented." And what EXACTLY was that explicit stepped procedure, might I ask? Should I listen to HeX cook #1, HeX cook #2, HeX cook #3, ..., ad infinitum. Let's see now 12 steps makes this a 12 factorial problem, 479,001,600 HeX cooks in the kitchen! And what EXACTLY is the "OFFICIAL" word from Apple on installing updates (no Apple support discussion posts please), seeing as I just clicked through all that stuff via Software Update, seeing as I like seamless OS integration on par with Microsoft products? Is that to much to ask of Apple? I think not!

WRT backups, my comment "burn baby burn" was WRT DVD burning as the preferred low cost method of redundancy/storage, and I do this on an almost daily basis. Same goes for (8GB/4GB) flash drives WRT mission critical data, I'm constantly moving data between my home Mac and 2 work PC's.

• Reply 95 of 180
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

I'm still waiting for my S5200/S5600 to be supported.

Surely, you must be doing something wrong?? Haven't you heard? OS X supports the latest cameras from Japan!
  • Reply 96 of 180
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

Want a trouble free update? Do ALL of the following. Sure, its a few extra steps, but certainly worth the trouble.

Here the list:

1. backup your data

2. Repair permissions. (before and after update)

3. Use a utility like ONYX to clean your caches.

4. I always use Disk Warrior to rebuild my directory.

5. Download the Combo updater (do not use Software Update)

6. Unplug all Firewire and USB drives and devices from computer

7. Run installer

1. Yes, definitely

2. Not necessary

3. Not necessary

4. Not necessary, but I suppose it's probably a good idea to check your HD with Disk Utility first, although I've never personally done that.

5. Not necessary

6. Good idea.

7. Obviously.

I also think it's a good idea not to have any apps running whilst performing the update.

Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

ALWAYS USE THE COMBO UPDATER. ? Any experienced user will tell you not to do this, at some point, it will bite you in the ass.

I wouldn't. I've never, ever had a problem with a delta, I've been using OS X since Developer Preview 3.

Really, I don't understand why the software updater doesn't quit all running apps, then do a disk check, and then check for connected peripherals and tell users to disconnect them before running the actual update. None of those things would be hard to do, and would surely significantly reduce the number of problem updates.
  • Reply 97 of 180
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by franksargent

But, you say, you have a 100,000,000TB mission critical project due 3 days before the day after tomorrow, but for SOME irrational reason, you MUST immediately update HeX, because, of course, you've got nothing better to do with your time!

ROFLMAO

But, I sympathise with everyone having problems and I haven't done the update myself yet. I could be back here yelling at franksargent and asking the nice people for tips
  • Reply 98 of 180
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr. H

Surely, you must be doing something wrong?? Haven't you heard? OS X supports the latest cameras from Japan!

Heh. Damnit! Fooled once again by hot Japanese chick(s).
  • Reply 99 of 180
    It really all boils down to:

1) Do a backup.

Duh.

DUH!

If you don't, that really is your own fault. That doesn't mean I don't sympathize with people who lose data after updating; I do. But you really should have taken the 20 minutes it takes to do an incremental backup regardless.

2) Run the upgrade and reboot immediately.

If you want some further performance gains:

3) Boot into single-user mode and delete caches from there. Deleting caches from within the GUI, like Onyx does, is completely retarded because neither reliable nor effective. So, do it within single-user mode. (On PowerPC Macs, applejack will help you.)

That's it. If there's problems, roll back your backup. End of story.

Stuff your repair permissions placebo bullshit where it belongs.
  • Reply 100 of 180
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Chucker

Stuff your repair permissions placebo bullshit where it belongs.

Heh, chucker finally throws it down! YEAH!

Clearly "placebo" here has nothing to do with our good friend username "placebo"

...Pure, morning....

...Pure, morning....

...A friend in need is a friend indeed...

...A friend with weed is better..........