Apple execs to preview "Leopard" at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

There are inevitable events that will occur on all Mac forums sites. People will want Apple to hurry the fuck up with 10.5. Apple will release earlier than they should have. People will complain about fucking up 10.5.

It's inevitable. Almost everyone on this board (and many other boards) is guilty of it.

It's true. Many people just can't seem to wait.

I'd like it to be here as well, but patience rules. You can't rush Mother Nature.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I'd like it to be here as well, but patience rules. You can't rush Mother Nature.

My sentiments exactly! I got no interest in using a POS premature OS.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I'm hoping the hold the release of Leopard back until well after Vista ? because I'm sick of Mac OS X features and 'look and feel' appearing in Windows.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    When do you guys think that Leopard will acctually be released? I would assume it would debut sometime before the holidays, but others say it will appear at MWSF. Any thoughts?
  • Reply 25 of 50
    fila 11fila 11 Posts: 8member
    I want to get a Mac Book but I do not really need it until September/October, I have the money now but I think that it is better to wait for Leopard. I hope that it will be released at WWDC. When do you think that it will be avaliable?
  • Reply 26 of 50
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fila 11

I want to get a Mac Book but I do not really need it until September/October, I have the money now but I think that it is better to wait for Leopard. I hope that it will be released at WWDC. When do you think that it will be avaliable?

September/October will probably be too Early for Leopard. 'Books with Merom chips might be announced/released by then though.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

September/October will probably be too Early for Leopard. 'Books with Merom chips might be announced/released by then though.

I haven't gone back to test my guesstimate but from the time DEVELOPERS are first seeded a NEW 'PREVIEW' RELEASE (as in 10.1 to 10.2 or 10.2 to 10.3 or 10.3 to 10.4) of OS X till the time Apple ships it, goes GM or whatever you want to call it, has to be at least 6 months if 'lots' of under the hood changes went into a release then perhaps even longer.

Developers can't very well be told 'oh yea' you've got 8 or so weeks to test all your apps for compliance with the new OS and fix those that don't cause then we're shipping this baby!

It just doesn't happen that way.... after all the FIRST build they are seeded are (using KIND words here) less than polished/bug free and most of the time not even totally feature free. The 3rd party developers have to not only test their apps but deal with an OS that's buggy as hell. It's a really neat trick when it comes to trying to see if your app works with an OS in that kind of condition.

If it did you'd have a new OS with ZERO 3rd party applications that are 'confirmed' to work (or at-least not trash your whole system).

Dave
  • Reply 28 of 50
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    I don't understand people who think Leopard will be released during WWDC. It's a developer's conference for goodness sake. Meaning that the reason that Apple is showing the new system is so developers can get their apps ready for the release. What good would it do to release it before the developers even had a chance to update their apps?

The most obvious place to actually release 10.5 is Macworld SF 07.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

I don't understand people who think Leopard will be released during WWDC. It's a developer's for goodness sake. Meaning that the reason that Apple is showing the new system is so developers can get their apps ready for the release. What good would it do to release it before the developers even had a chance to update their apps?

Usually they just announce a date and release it, it's not tied to any show.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

I don't understand people who think Leopard will be released during WWDC. It's a developer's for goodness sake. Meaning that the reason that Apple is showing the new system is so developers can get their apps ready for the release. What good would it do to release it before the developers even had a chance to update their apps?

I don't understand your rudness FOR GOODNESS SAKE! I was just asking. If I ask something is because I do not have the answer, I am quite new in this world...and it is not through people like you that I feel comfortable or learn.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:

I don't understand your rudness FOR GOODNESS SAKE! I was just asking. If I ask something is because I do not have the answer, I am quite new in this world...and it is not through people like you that I feel comfortable or learn.

Welcome to the Mac world, and this forum. Generally, I'd say the logic is that Apple gives the developers the preview (and the build) and then 4-5 months later, they randomly release the OS to the world. Tiger came out in late April, it was previewed at MWSF (MacWorld San Franciso) 2005 in early January. The last official word about Leopard's release date (I could be wrong on this) was at WWDC 2005, when it was announced and named, and Steve said "late 2006, or early 2007, right around when Vista comes out". This story (and 1-2 before this one) mentioned that Leopard will be previewed at WWDC 2006 (which was pushed from May 2006 to August 2006). "Previewed" means the Steve Keynote will talk about it and show some stuff off, as well as developers getting an early "beta" build, and some workshops on various Leopard features (there's a list on some thread or on Apple's WWDC site)
  • Reply 32 of 50
    x
  • Reply 33 of 50
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Interesting stuff. Thanks for working out all those numbers!
  • Reply 34 of 50
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    That's a nice post Dave.

I think Leopard will be out after the January show just so Apple can sell iLife, iWork, etc at that time. Then a couple of months later they can get us all lathered up to lay out some more green for Leopard.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    x
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Oops! Responded to the wrong post!
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Some interesting data I culled together...

Yes, it is interesting.

Apple did say after 10.3 came out that their release times would extend. 10.5 is the longest yet, if they give it a few months after the dev conf before it comes out.

I'm thinking that Macworld would be too early. With the longer time Apple is taking to show it, either they are having a problem, or there are too many new additions, and changes for them to get it out when they would have.

It's also possible that with the last couple of Vista delays, Apple decided to extend the development cycle further themselves, to get more breathing room.

I would think first quarter sometime.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:

That wasn't rude! You should see the arguments we sometimes get into. Compared to many others, this site is VERY mild, believe me!
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

Welcome to the Mac world, and this forum. Generally, I'd say the logic is that Apple gives the developers the preview (and the build) and then 4-5 months later, they randomly release the OS to the world. Tiger came out in late April, it was previewed at MWSF (MacWorld San Franciso) 2005 in early January. The last official word about Leopard's release date (I could be wrong on this) was at WWDC 2005, when it was announced and named, and Steve said "late 2006, or early 2007, right around when Vista comes out". This story (and 1-2 before this one) mentioned that Leopard will be previewed at WWDC 2006 (which was pushed from May 2006 to August 2006). "Previewed" means the Steve Keynote will talk about it and show some stuff off, as well as developers getting an early "beta" build, and some workshops on various Leopard features (there's a list on some thread or on Apple's WWDC site)

Thank you very much for your answer
  • Reply 40 of 50
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Interesting numbers.

There is a bigger factor than the iApps...Vista. Does Apple try to beat Redmond to the punch or follow?

In this situation, I think they should follow the Vista release.Whatever hype Apple can get from 10.5 will be overshadowed when MS release the next gen of Windows. I don't think there is anyway to stop this flood of publicity, bcs every magazine and newspaper will be doing review, etc.

However, if Apple waits a month and can deliver something compelling...they might be able to wrangle some press away from MS. A post-Vista release would naturally lead to comparisons btw 10.5 & Vista. If OSX does its job, it could be a great time for Apple to use the press to say 'look how much better OSX is than MS's NEW OS.'