Microsoft buys iView Multimedia

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Looks like MS has a Lightroom/Aperture competitor coming.

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/microsoft/

Quote:

What this acquisition will mean for you, our customers, is that together we face a bigger and brighter future in managing your creative workflow. The product that was born on the Mac will remain on the Mac as well as on the Windows operating system. All iView products will continue to be sold on the iView website and through our partners and channel. Bottom line: You all can continue to use and buy iView products knowing that they will be fully supported as Microsoft evolves the products in the future on both the Windows and Mac platforms.

Thank you. While I know that windows will be the preferred platform it's nice to know that initially there are plans for deployment on both platforms.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    My first impression was that it was to compete with iPhoto. Is iView Media pro good enough to go against Aperture? I've seen it, but not close enough.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

My first impression was that it was to compete with iPhoto. Is iView Media pro good enough to go against Aperture? I've seen it, but not close enough.

iView is superior to iPhoto but it's really more of an asset manager than photog workflow app like Aperture. Think of iView as being closer to Extensis Portfolio than Aperture.