Grammar Cops (split from: "Intel sells Xscale line to Marvell' in FH)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Their #1 in comic sales.

They are.

They're.

They are = they're.

Quote:

They're #1 in comic sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

They are.

They're.

They are = they're.

I'm quite aware of that ***khead. Sorry if I mistyped something your freaking highness.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

I'm quite aware of that ***khead. Sorry if I mistyped something your freaking highness.

Just ignore him.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Just ignore him.

And me.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

It makes your sentences hard to read; you are writing in a public forum, your posts will be read by other people. Have the courtesy and spellcheck them. No need to get mad, dude, it's not like I "embarrassed" you in front of your GF or something.

Or maybe I did. Hm...
  • Reply 5 of 33
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

It makes your sentences hard to read; you are writing in a public forum, your posts will be read by other people. Have the courtesy and spellcheck them. No need to get mad, dude, it's not like I "embarrassed" you in front of your GF or something.

Or maybe I did. Hm...

You're pushing it. Nothing wrong with occasionally pointing out mistakes, but focusing on one single grammar mistake and writing an entire post about it?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

It makes your sentences hard to read; you are writing in a public forum, your posts will be read by other people. Have the courtesy and spellcheck them.

Unfortunately, spellcheckers do not correct grammar mistakes.

I have no problem with people correcting others' mistakes, in fact I wish it happened more often and that people wouldn't over-react so much when it is done. It is an opportunity for anyone reading the forum to learn something.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Unfortunately, spellcheckers do not correct grammar mistakes.

Some do. I know Word's spellchecker does and probably almost any decent spellchecker. But even proof-reading the post would be sufficient.

Quote:

I have no problem with people correcting others' mistakes, in fact I wish it happened more often and that people wouldn't over-react so much when it is done. It is an opportunity for anyone reading the forum to learn something.

People perceive the corrections as an attack on them, hence the reaction. But that's to be expected. I got my point across - hopefully it doesn't end as an exercise in futility.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Just ignore him.

I have for a long time.

Ever since his whining about iPod/iTunes and Macintosh computers in general.

Here's one for you: Look over their
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZoranS

Ever since his whining about iPod/iTunes and Macintosh computers in general.

Any type of legitimate complaining about iPod/iTunes or Macs in general is perceived as 'whining' by zealots and fanboys.

I'm glad to be in their ignore list.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Gene, you're being a douchebag, shut up. These forums would be better without you.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

People perceive the corrections as an attack on them, hence the reaction. But that's to be expected. I got my point across - hopefully it doesn't end as an exercise in futility.

Do you go around correcting all the flaws you find people make? People with two different socks, people who can't color coordinate their outfit, women who are putting on too much weight, people who eat at fast food joints more than once a month, people with bad breath, etc, etc, etc....

If so then you'd be great fun at parties and funerals....
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Gene, you're being a douchebag, shut up. These forums would be better without you.

As evidenced by the way you talk to people? I don't know, Spliney, I'm thinking it'd be better without you and your arrogant I-Know-It-All attitude.

DaveGee:

Quote:

Do you go around correcting all the flaws you find people make? People with two different socks, people who can't color coordinate their outfit, women who are putting on too much weight, people who eat at fast food joints more than once a month, people with bad breath, etc, etc, etc....

If so then you'd be great fun at parties and funerals....

No, not really, but that changed the meaning of his sentence (their, they're) and I thought I'd do it so he sees the mistake and corrects it. Of course, one could predict the reactions of fanboys and zealots to be 'ZOMG DUDE LEAVE!1eleventy billion' - but the dragging along of this rather minor issue shows some serious lack of understanding for the mistake, correction, and the reason it happened.

See ya now, and preferrably don't talk to me on this thread anymore.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Jeez. Talk about over-reaction!

Someone made a grammar mistake on a publicly accessible forum, that can be read by anyone. Correcting the mistake, as I said before, serves to potentially educate those reading it. It needn't be such a big deal.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Jeez. Talk about over-reaction!

Someone made a grammar mistake on a publicly accessible forum, that can be read by anyone. Correcting the mistake, as I said before, serves to potentially educate those reading it. It needn't be such a big deal.

Anyone here with half a wit knew what was being written and if you want to go around playing the internet grammar cop do it via PRIVATE MESSAGE! It would be far less offensive to those of us who are normal easy going human-beings who aren't so anal we feel the need to correct every undotted i and uncrossed t and and now I'm going to be patiently awaiting the PRIVATE MESSAGE that will inform me of all of the evils found lurking in run-on sentences.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Would you guys fucking get back to topic?
  • Reply 16 of 33
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Oh hi, I'd thought I'd pop in from Political Outsider to get away from the petty squabbling for a........

• Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Anyone here with half a wit knew what was being written and if you want to go around playing the internet grammar cop do it via PRIVATE MESSAGE! It would be far less offensive to those of us who are normal easy going human-beings who aren't so anal we feel the need to correct every undotted i and uncrossed t and and now I'm going to be patiently awaiting the PRIVATE MESSAGE that will inform me of all of the evils found lurking in run-on sentences.

You have missed a key point. Using Private Messaging would be excessively anal, and could also be more easily misconstrued as a personal attack. You only potentially educate one person, and they might just have made a mistake. You correct grammar on a publicly accessible forum and anyone can learn something.

I find it a shame that people react in the way that you do. If people could just post a message like "their ≠ they're; they're = they are", without all of this extraneous argument and over-reaction, perhaps it would foster the use of better grammar and spelling.

BTW, your image is not accessible.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    I've split this off from the Intel/Marvell thread in FH.

The hairpulling can continue in here. Please, keep it a bit more civil.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    I see that the big bad moderator wants us to be more civil to each other.

Well, screw that.

I learned in school that the biggest bully gets the biggest lunch and I'm hungry.

Um...

So where was I?

Oh right.

Perhaps this article is what you all need? Namely the LRS, part....
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

I see that the big bad moderator wants us to be more civil to each other.

Well, screw that.

I learned in school that the biggest bully gets the biggest lunch and I'm hungry.

Um...

So where was I?

Oh right.

Perhaps this article is what you all need? Namely the LRS, part....

It was only a suggestion. I'm enjoying the thread, so far.