Apple extends "Numbers" Trademark

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.ph...rademark_alive

Numbers is still alive. Apple had until June 29th to extend the TM or lose it. They extended it. This gives me hope for iWork 2007. A beefed up SS equals instant upgrade.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Numbers, pages & keynote free with all new Mac's. Or buy iWork '07 (Numbers, pages & keynote) $79 for a single user licence.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Numbers, pages & keynote free with all new Mac's. Or buy iWork '07 (Numbers, pages & keynote) $79 for a single user licence.

Yeah it's about time Apple bundles iWork with new computers. I wonder if Apple has or will integrate the technology they gained from the aquisition of Schemasoft.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I wonder if Apple has or will integrate the technology they gained from the aquisition of Schemasoft.

Who are they and what's the tech?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

Who are they and what's the tech?

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0503schemasoft.html

I believe they had tech that did data extraction and conversion on XML and PDF based sources. Just how Apple planned to use that tech is unclear.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    They were experts in file formats. Apple needed to bulletproof both Pages and Keynote's abilities to read Microsoft Office formats in iWork '06.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Seems that Numbers is no-brainer for iWork '07 (knock on wood).

iWork may be on a modest development track, but it's still a nicely developing "Works" suite.

I also wish Apple would bundle iWork with new Macs, but they seem intent on keeping it as $79 hidden cost. Too bad.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    I think it'd be cool if they added numbers in, plus a database program, all for $49.

iWork:

Pages

Keynote

Numbers

Data

Keep it simple.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I'd like them to :

add numbers and then adding a drawing component. Acquire

Intaglio or create it from scratch.

iWork is almost there it just needs some love and attention. Sometimes you have a need for Office and sometimes you have a need for a simple but powerful "works" program.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    x
  • Reply 10 of 22
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    If Apple released Numbers in 2008 and bundled the next iWork with Macs, it would tremendously boost the perceived value of Macs. Sure, TextEdit can open simple Word docs, but having apps that could open Word docs, PowerPoint files, and maybe Excel files out of the box would make them pretty complete for most consumers.

They'd be able to read and create documents, read and create spreadsheets, read and create presentations (as well as everything they can do now such as organize and listen to music, make movies, make DVDs, make music, catalogue photos, etc...)
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

If Apple released Numbers in 2008 and bundled the next iWork with Macs, it would tremendously boost the perceived value of Macs. Sure, TextEdit can open simple Word docs, but having apps that could open Word docs, PowerPoint files, and maybe Excel files out of the box would make them pretty complete for most consumers.

They'd be able to read and create documents, read and create spreadsheets, read and create presentations (as well as everything they can do now such as organize and listen to music, make movies, make DVDs, make music, catalogue photos, etc...)

Makes sense, but why 2008? Why not 2007.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Makes sense, but why 2008? Why not 2007.

Typo...I meant 2007. I don't know why I didn't catch that before I posted.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Perhaps one reason that Apple does not bundle iWork is an agreement with MS. They just announced a new five year commitment to developing Office for the Mac, so probably wouldn't look to keenly on every Mac coming with an office suite that can read their files. Now everyone has to pick which one to buy, and guess who wins that one.

On a side note, this is one area where I actually still recommend the MS solution. Most people are familiar with it, and it makes them feel "safe" having it on their Mac. Sure Pages is nice, but it is very different than Word, and the average user in my book is very adverse to change.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

...and the average user in my book is very adverse to change.

Oh shit...then they're in trouble come Office 2007. If they can't handle the switch from Office to iWork, I fully expect them to not buy Office 2007.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I view iWork as an Appleworks replacement. Appleworks never killed MS Office on the Mac so I don't expect iWorks to.

Even if Apple tried to beat Office I don't think they could. They don't have the manpower or IP to beat Office which is now so much more integrated with Microsoft's stategy and other apps.

Apple just needs to focus on letting Mac users do some neat things without paying the MS tax.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Oh shit...then they're in trouble come Office 2007. If they can't handle the switch from Office to iWork, I fully expect them to not buy Office 2007.

You bring up a good point. I saw somewhere that office release has been delayed and that users are complaining about interface.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    cspacecspace Posts: 5member
    Maybe Numbers is has some of the rumored collaborative features of Leopard, and is waiting for that to be released before being put into iWork? That would be cool.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

Perhaps one reason that Apple does not bundle iWork is an agreement with MS. They just announced a new five year commitment to developing Office for the Mac, so probably wouldn't look to keenly on every Mac coming with an office suite that can read their files.

That shouldn't stop them, a 5 year agreemant is still a 5 year agreement, even if apple has something up its sleeve.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    project2501project2501 Posts: 433member
    Quote:

That shouldn't stop them, a 5 year agreemant is still a 5 year agreement, even if apple has something up its sleeve.

Do you know something others don't know? I don't recall them ever releasing the terms of that agreement.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

Do you know something others don't know? I don't recall them ever releasing the terms of that agreement.

Steve said it in a keynote a while ago, when introducing that girl from Microsoft. (I don't remember when exactly)