That's it...I'm OFFICIALLY on record: new iMac will be two-piece unit

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

One week out, that's what I'm going with.

I'm convinced they spent too much time in research and engineering on the whole Cube thing just to let it die away after only a year.

The Cube, priced at $1799 and wedged into that weird spot between the iMac and the G4 tower, was kinda doomed from the start.

But, if it REPLACED the iMac...

Just seems to make more sense than any all-in-one I've seen mocked-up, talked about, etc.

Just imagine a glossy white Cube with a matching white 15" or 17" LCD Display. They've managed to figure out how to cram a hot G4's guts into an 8" cube, so surely they can do it with a G3 or a newer, cooler-running G4 (isn't that the Apollo or something?).

And, with the recent TiBook upgrade, we know Apple now has a line on slot-loading DVD/CD-R combo drives.

Of course, all the above hinges on two things:

1. Apple somehow amends their thinking (3 years down the road) that the iMac HAS to be an all-in-one design. If THEY can abandon that premise, then you guys can too.

2. Apple finally lowers their LCD monitors to a bit more reasonable and affordable prices.

The Cube reborn...replace the iMac as we know it. Give customers a choice in display size. Use ADC to make it so that any idiot can connect the two. With a Cube body and LCD Display, you're STILL going to have a small footprint and "cute" factor.

All the hard work, R&D, planning, etc. has already been done. The G4 Cube and current displays already exist. You're just giving them a new skin, calling it an iMac and REPLACING (not adding to) a currently shipping product.

That's it. Don't wanna hear anymore about it.

Lalalalalalalala...I'm not listening...lalala.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

1. Apple somehow amends their thinking (3 years down the road) that the iMac HAS to be an all-in-one design. If THEY can abandon that premise, then you guys can too.

2. Apple finally lowers their LCD monitors to a bit more reasonable and affordable prices.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

1) I never got the feeling that Apple in any way thinks the iMac line has to be a all-in-one.

2) LCD screen prices are on the rise again.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    [quote]Originally posted by xype:

<strong>

1) I never got the feeling that Apple in any way thinks the iMac line has to be a all-in-one.

2) LCD screen prices are on the rise again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

1) Well then, that's all the better, isn't it?

2) So they'd better get going...
  • Reply 3 of 78
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    I'd love a reasonable specced $~1200 cube and a $~800 LCD - would look great on my desk!
  • Reply 4 of 78
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    What do you all think about bundling a monitor? Should they do this? Or should they have some major campaign to show that it'll work with normal monitors?

Amorya
  • Reply 4 of 78
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    Whether you're right or not, Mr. pscates, all I'm saying is that Mr. Jonathan Ive can do no wrong in my book. The new iBooks and the iPod are just gorgeous, and I honestly can't wait to see his new take on the iMac.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    The iMac has to be all-in-one.

Sure, some of you would like a cheap Cube, but I used my first Cube this past week, and let me tell you -- it is NOT user-friendly. Plugging cables in the bottom is one of the stupidest things Apple's ever done, the whole separate power supply and speakers thing is a pain in the ass, and for what? A pretty little cube that you can't expand? Oh yay.

The underlying theme behind the iMac is SIMPLE, and Apple would be stupid to diverge from that. And all-in-one IS simple.

If you want a real display, buy a damn tower, people. You're not the iMac's target audience.

Alex
  • Reply 7 of 78
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member

<strong>

1. Apple somehow amends their thinking (3 years down the road) that the iMac HAS to be an all-in-one design. If THEY can abandon that premise, then you guys can too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don´t think either that iMac means all-in-one. I have tried very hard to think up how a LCD all-in-one could look like and I cannot come up with any design not done by the PC makers. There are only so many ways you can combine a flat screen and a base if they have to be in the same chassis

<strong>

As xype writes LCD is on the rise but this is a problem for the LCD-in-iMac idea, not the Cube-as-iMac sub-idea.

Apple sunk a substantial amount of money into a design that most/all people think is the coolest computer design EVER and "everyone" still wants one. Why use money to design a new iMac that won´t be as cool as the Cube? The money saved on not doing a new design could pay for parts of the higher price a LCD would cost. It will propably be bundled with a not so refined/more simple 15 inch LCD.

I give the cube idea a 40-50% chance, the continuing of the current form factor 30-40% and another LCD design 20-30%.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Mr. Pscates,

I really hope you're right. Apple, sell me a cube for 799 and let me hook-up my own monitor and I'll buy one straight away.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    [quote]Originally posted by Alexander:

<strong>

The underlying theme behind the iMac is SIMPLE, and Apple would be stupid to diverge from that. And all-in-one IS simple.

The Cube would mean one more wire (from cube to monitor). In return you get USB in front of you on the screen.

The seperate phone jack box would go away and be put in the cube. The "eject the core" would not be possible and the PCI would be taken away to make room for more and larger internal stuff (was the internal HD a 2,5 or 3,5 drive?). In other words they would "downgrade" it so it wouldn´t hurt PM sales. But you still have the possibility to put in another screen card (propably the most wanted feature among iMac users).
  • Reply 10 of 78
    I agree, Belle...completely. They haven't lamed anything up YET (well, there's that whole pattern thing from last year, but I don't think that was Ives as much as some OTHER people...).

I, too, think that whatever iMac they unveil next week (or whenever) is going to be a stunner, all-in-one or not.

I certainly do dig the iBook and its pretty white shell, so whatever they do to the iMac, I hope they at least work that aspect into it somehow. I think that would be gorgeous.

As for the Cube not being simple...what?!?

:confused:

Yes, I agree that the "ports underneath" thing could be a drag (hooking and unhooking a digital camcorder, PDA, digital camera, etc. on any sort of frequent basis would get to be quite a hassle).

Perhaps that would be one of the small modifications or improvements they would make? Maybe the ports are now located on the lower back, like any other computer? That would be easier, wouldn't it?

Everytime I would see a Cube in a store, that was the thing that always got to me too: "do I have to turn this thing around and tilt it up everytime I want to connect or disconnect something?!?!"

But the ADC thing...come on. One cable. It's idiot-proof. If someone can't handle that, they probably don't need to be buying a computer to begin with.

I think a two-piece iMac like I outlined in my initial post would solve more problems than it creates.

Just seems a crying shame to waste all that effort spent on the Cube. People loved it, but pricing and weird, "not sure why this exists..." placement dealt it a pretty harsh blow.

But if it replaced the iMac (and was actually CALLED the iMac...so there's no confusion), then people have two choices when it comes to desktops:

the consumer iCrowd can get a small, cute Cube with iMac-like features and specs (high-MHz G3, combo drive, usual ports, iApps, decent video card, stylish/cool design AND a choice of display sizes...which, if I recall, has been a longtime gripe related to the iMac from day one).

"We're not only going to INCREASE the size from the old 15" iMac CRT...we're going to give you a choice..."

And the pros, of course, can still get the full-size towers (G4 or G5, whatever that comes to be).

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 78
    And of course they would keep one of the old iMac models as a sub-1K model for education.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>

The Cube would mean one more wire (from cube to monitor). In return you get USB in front of you on the screen.

Ok, let's say it's a "modified" cube that doesn't have the current Cube's shortcomings in the simple department.

So you have one more wire, and one more box (the monitor).

Where do the speakers go? One (or even two) speakers in the cube itself would be a step backwards. Speakers in the monitor would require special monitors, and do you really think that they would make a 22" iMac monitor? And you couldn't share with the Pro users, because do they really want speakers in their monitor? Aren't the color schemes supposed to distinguish the consumer and pro lines?

The iMac is also simple in the purchasing phase -- one box has everything you need. If you buy a monitor separately, that's another box. Sure, you and I can cope, but *we're not the iMac's target market*. The iMac is for people who are very basic computer users, and are comforted by everything coming in the same box. There's NO chance that it won't work together, etc. It's psychological.

And Steve is very all-in-one. Remember the original Macintosh? And Steve dictates what Apple does.

As much as you guys want a cube-iMac thing that would be everything that you personally want in a computer, IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Alex
  • Reply 13 of 78
    Apple releasing an iMac that is a reconfigured cube would be corporate suicide. After all the hoopla leading up to this Macworld the press would eat them alive if this was the big supprise. The fact is in the cube was a good idea that didn't find its market. Apple will just have to cut its losses and move on. They might be able to adapt some of the technology in future products but not the design itself
  • Reply 14 of 78
    Yes...keep a Snow $700 (or thereabouts) model for the school crowd. Maybe even sell it only through the education channel, like that older all-in-one G3 from a few years ago?

What normal, non-education user is going to opt for a smaller-screened, lower-powered, CD-ROM-equipped CRT iMac anyway, when they could have a GHz-level processor, combo drive, snazzy video card, etc.

But keep one Snow model (in the interest of unifying the whole color thing: the iStuff gets glossy white...) for education buyers.

The rest of the world, however, moves on and probably doesn't mind paying $1200 or so for such a kick-ass new version of the iMac.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I bet you it won't be a two piece unit, but it will have a repositionable screen.

The Cube won't be coming back as the iMac, I'm sorry. The Cube was a troubled concept. It didn't take up less space with the huge power supply, and it added a tangle of cables that were very hard to reach.

If they could figure out a way to get rid of the huge PS brick, then maaaaybe...
  • Reply 16 of 78
    It sounds very nice, but I wonder if that is a good move for the education sector.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    2 CRT models, 2 LCD models - All one-piece units

#1 - 15" CRT

CDROM

slower processor

etc.

$699

#2 - 15" CRT

Combo Drive

etc.

$899 ($100 more for faster processor, $100 more for the combo drive than #1)

#3 - 15" LCD

Combo Drive

etc.

$1299 ($400 more for the LCD than #2)

#4 - 15" LCD

Combo Drive

G4(!)

improved graphics

$1599 ($200 more for G4, $100 more for better graphics than #3)

I'm not gonna to engage in specs speculation (processor, HD, RAM, colors, etc.), just general themes and prices.

SdC

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: suckfuldotcom ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 78
    posted by pscates to a different post topic:

Don't call it something lame like the iCube. That's too easy and stock. Just call it the iMac and people will accept it.

how about iMac3 (dang, how do i make the 3 smaller and moved up 1/2 a space so it cubed instead of 3??)

so it would be spoken as iMac-cubed...

could it hold a super-drive??

i would buy one in a heartbeat if it had superdrive as an option or on an s.e. model...if not, i would lean toward a tower, but maybe would still get the iMac...could always record iMovies on VCD....g
  • Reply 19 of 78
    I think it will be an all-in-one because:

1) it is simple and portable and that is the over-arching design philosphy of the iMac.

2) Educational sales are important and the more parts there are, the more parts there are to break.

3) 1024X768 is extremely usable at 15" and in order to keep the price low, they will want to bundle it. Imagine having to buy a 17" Apple LCD separately. It would no longer be a cheap computer.

Furthermore on the LCD front, Apple has stated very firmly that it is out of the CRT business if for no other reason than the fact that governments are now considering legislating computer companies to pay for the clean up of all the toxic lead they have released into the environment through selling CRT monitors. I'm sure there are other reasons, but I suspect this is a huge part of the move to LCD.

I vote that the new iMac will definitely be an all-in-one with a 15" LCD.
  • Reply 20 of 78

<strong>Ok, let's say it's a "modified" cube that doesn't have the current Cube's shortcomings in the simple department.

Where do the speakers go? One (or even two) speakers in the cube itself would be a step backwards. Speakers in the monitor would require special monitors, and do you really think that they would make a 22" iMac monitor? And you couldn't share with the Pro users, because do they really want speakers in their monitor?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, since we're not thinking in the old-way "iMac has to be all-in-one" mode, remember how the Cube shipped with those spherical Harman/Kardon "softball" speakers? Sounds better (actually had some good bass, believe it or not), you can put them where you want on your desk for better separation. If Apple's so big on this iTune/iPod/digital music thing, bundle those cool speakers that are way better than any built-in ones sound anyway.

<strong>The iMac is also simple in the purchasing phase -- one box has everything you need. If you buy a monitor separately, that's another box. Sure, you and I can cope, but *we're not the iMac's target market*. The iMac is for people who are very basic computer users, and are comforted by everything coming in the same box. There's NO chance that it won't work together, etc. It's psychological.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, this is where Apple might have to get off their butt a bit and accompany these new machines with some INFORMATIVE, useful marketing. And the Apple retail stores will be up on the deal, knowing how to explain this to first-timers. As far as CompUSA and places like that, Apple is going to have to make a series of posters, display cards and spec sheets that CLEARLY and EASILY state to the consumer (via text and an actual photo?) that "you buy this iMac and you can hook THIS Apple 15" or THIS Apple 17" display to it...". They can bundle the damn thing in a package, for all I care. 15" iMac or 17" iMac.

Maybe it CAN all come in one box? Who's to say it can't?

Apple is going to have to demand that their CompUSA and Circuit City reps get a clue in 2002. I don't know.

I can't think of EVERYTHING, guys...

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>