Moved to GB: LCD iMac Ram---apple store?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
OK, im planning on getting an iMac but dont want to have to spend the $$$ to upgrade the internal slot to 512... if i buy the computer from an apple store, can i get them to install a 3rd party 512 ram mod into the internal slot?

I have a 512 stick in my current iMac and i would like to swap the sticks....

will this cost extra $...

Will they even touch my 3rd party ram?

this is probably gen disc or gb, but im putting it here

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    they won't install 3rd party ram i'd bet but it ain't hard to do it urself man

its really easy

here's a link apple explains it for you

<a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75317"; target="_blank">http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75317</a>;

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: O and A ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    i mean the full-sized slot.... i mean the old iMacs didnt have SO-Dimms

im talking about regular PC-133 memory... i dont want it to go to waste in a machine i wont be using as much
  • Reply 3 of 4
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    [quote]Originally posted by Paul:

<strong>i mean the full-sized slot.... i mean the old iMacs didnt have SO-Dimms

im talking about regular PC-133 memory... i dont want it to go to waste in a machine i wont be using as much</strong><hr></blockquote>

i see what u mean now and don't know the answer to ur question however ram isn't expensive 512megs for the user slot on the imac is 80 bucks
  • Reply 4 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    we've had a few questions about this. I've done it, and i can tell you that although it isn't too hard if you have the right tools (torx screws), if you screw up, you can ruin your machine.

the iMac uses a laptop-like system of heat piping to cool the CPU. this heat pipe runs to a heat plate on the outside edge where the heat is then dispersed. if you open it up, you break the contact on the heat plates.

if you do that, you HAVE TO scrape off all of the old thermal paste and reapply a fresh layer. then make sure you tighten the torx screws tight enough to reestablish contact with the heat plates.

IF YOU DON'T, you have about a 100% chance of kernal panics, and a good chance of frying the CPU since it won't be able to dump heat off fast enough.

just something to keep in mind....

oh yeah, and this is GB material, so moving it there now.

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>