MTV adds slew of content to iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
MTV Networks and Apple on Thursday announced that new television programming from Spike TV, Nick at Nite, TV Land, Logo, MTV and The N is now available on the iTunes Music Store.

Adding to MTV Networks content already on iTunes, the new round of programming "crosses virtually every genre," the companies said. It includes Spike TV's brand-new action series "Blade: The Series," MTV's prank-comedy show "Viva La Bam" and TV Land's "Sit Down Comedy with David Steinberg."

MTV Networks' programming has been a huge success on iTunes since debuting earlier this year, with Comedy Central's "South Park" alone selling over one million episodes.

"MTV Networks' programming has been a hit with customers since launching on iTunes earlier this year," said Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president of iTunes. "iTunes is the world's most popular online video store with over 35 million videos sold, and we continue to expand the catalog of great television content now with over 150 network and cable programs available."

Television shows cost $1.99 per episode.

Earlier this week, NBC said it has sold over 6 million videos through iTunes since December, generating it about $12 million in incremental revenue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    First Post !!! YEAH
  • Reply 2 of 45
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Sweet. Thye willingness of content producers to add more content demonstrates Apple's leading position in the market for legal downloads.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Still no Stargate
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Stargate Atlantis... okay. Stargate SG-1, dodgy. Do they have McGyver on iTMS ??! Let's take it old skool with Richard Dean Anderson...!
  • Reply 5 of 45
    dettdett Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Stargate Atlantis... okay. Stargate SG-1, dodgy. Do they have McGyver on iTMS ??! Let's take it old skool with Richard Dean Anderson...!

i would much rather have Farscape, which sci-fi cancelled largely to be able to bring stargate onto their schedule.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Firefly! A Josh Whedon classic that alas, did not get a chance to really shine. Serenity was cool.

If you got into Firefly you should really check out the anime series and movie "Cowboy Bebop"...
  • Reply 7 of 45
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by amac4me

Sweet. Thye willingness of content producers to add more content demonstrates Apple's leading position in the market for legal downloads.

And yet the Mac hovers at 3% marketshare. Damn PC users buying legal downloads!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Didn't MTV just launch a competing online music service? I wonder why they aren't selling the content on their storefront. Or not.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    September will be gigantic. With all the major networks on on board -- ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox -- there will probably dozens of new shows coming online at the same time. I would really like to see iTunes work out deals to allow free pilot downloads for all the new shows.

There's really not much left in terms of major content:

* Sony/Columbia and Warner Brothers still aren't at the table yet, and they have some huge catalog shows that will be big hits once they finally come around: "The Soprano's," "Seinfeld," "Friends," etc.

* Soap operas: seems perfect for the subscription model.

* "SportsCenter," "Oprah" and other daily talk shows and news shows: again, perfect for the subscription model.

Comcast and the satellite providers must be getting VERY nervous about all of this. Apple is a subscription model and a few technical hurdles away from getting me to cancel my cable service.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    I need my Entourage!!! where's HBO?
  • Reply 11 of 45
    I wonder what gave MTV the URGE to do that. Hmmmm.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quantum Leap and I'll be happy
  • Reply 13 of 45
    I hope Apple roll this out in Europe soon. The majority of stuff they've got so far would probably be quite popular this side of the Atlantic.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    You mean you haven't seen every episode a dozen times already in reruns? I remember for some time they were playing the crap out of the reruns, and I still come across it in the directories now and again.

[Quantum Leap I mean]
  • Reply 15 of 45
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Sweet! The shows keep on coming. Now, I want to see the UFC on iTunes!
  • Reply 16 of 45
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Porchland

September will be gigantic. With all the major networks on on board -- ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox -- there will probably dozens of new shows coming online at the same time. I would really like to see iTunes work out deals to allow free pilot downloads for all the new shows.

There's really not much left in terms of major content:

Unless you're outside the US, in which case there's no TV show content on iTMS.

The concept is definitely the next step in TV. Unfortunately Microsoft have the clout to rollout a more global model so once again Apple's great idea will be made a commercial success by someone else.

With the US sliding down the ranks of global PC marketshare when will Apple learn? Unless they think bigger they really are just Redmond's R&D team!

McD
  • Reply 17 of 45
    miquetmiquet Posts: 16member
    All we need now is for apple to pull it's head out and open up the tV shows to the global i-tunes stores. I'm a kiwi returning home and I have been living in Japan , why hasn't i-tunes opened up a store in NZ, yet ?

Probably the worlds last place to get a store, with France complaining send it to NZ , it would be greatly received I am sure.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dett

i would much rather have Farscape, which sci-fi cancelled largely to be able to bring stargate onto their schedule.

No, Farscape was cancelled because of costs. I don't know why you would think it was to bring SG-1 onto the schedule.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

Didn't MTV just launch a competing online music service? I wonder why they aren't selling the content on their storefront. Or not.

That whole thing is strange.

I don't know how they could sell music content on iTunes, as they own almost none of it, and if they continue to put their Tv content, which they do own, onto iTunes, it seems that they are giving Apple the chance to make those extra few cents that they could have been making themselves by putting it on their own service instead.

As most music services are losing money, I just can't see the point of companies continually setting up new ones. Several have already gone out of business, and several others look pretty shakey. We all know that Coke has dropped theirs.

But, MS seems determined to do something, and I suppose they made some deal with MYV which would shield them from some potential losses. We'll see how that works out.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Still no Stargate

ANY Richard Dean Anderson on iTunes would be step in the right direction.

And am I the only one that wants to see Adult Swim programming on the Music Store?

[edit] ANY Amanda Tapping would be a step in the right direction as well. ^_^